Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
The design aspirants of the country count IIT Bombay among their primary choices of design colleges in India. The Industrial Design Centre (IDC) of IIT Bombay is dedicated to providing world-class education in design at both the undergraduate as well as the postgraduate level.
The admission process at Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IIT Bombay) is likely to tentatively commence from March 2021. Students will be shortlisted for admission to M.Des course based on the written test, portfolio submission round and performance in the interview round.
This article provides all the information about the Master of Design (M.Des) admissions at IIT Bombay. Students who are looking forward to pursuing higher education in the stream of design at the postgraduate level must check the admission process and courses offered at IDC - IIT Bombay. This will give them proper insight into the specialisations offered under the M.Des degree at the institute and the admission schedule as well.
IIT Bombay M.Des Important Dates 2021
The admission schedule of M.Des at IIT Bombay 2021 has been mentioned below.
Important Dates (Tentative)
Commencement of the Application Process
First Week of March 2021
Last Date to Submit the Online Application Forms
Last Week of March 2021
Result Declaration of Candidates Selected for M.Des Test and Interview
First Week of April 2021
IIT Bombay M.Des Written Test Date
Third Week of April 2021
IIT Bombay M.Des Interview Dates
Fourth Week of April 2021
Declaration of results
First Week of May 2021
Fee Payment and Confirmation of Admission
Second Week of May 2021
How to Apply for IIT Bombay M.Des Admissions?
The application process for M.Des at IIT Bombay is done through the online mode only. Candidates can apply for M.Des admissions at IIT Bombay provided they have appeared for CEED and have qualified the eligibility criteria for the course in which they seek admission. The steps to apply for M.Des at IIT Bombay have been listed below. All interested students can follow these points to successfully complete their IIT Bombay M.Des application process.
- The student will have to visit the official website of IDC IIT Bombay.
- They will find the option of applying for M.Des under the 'Admissions' section on the home page.
- The candidate will be required to register himself/ herself as a new user and enter the basic details for it.
- Once the registration process is complete, the candidate can proceed to fill the application form.
- He/ she will have to fill in all the personal as well as academic details that are asked for in the form.
- The applicant must make sure that all the details entered by him/ her are correct and valid. A slight discrepancy in the form will lead to the cancellation of the candidature of the applicant.
- The candidate must also enter the email ID and mobile number that are active at all times as the institute will communicate with him/ her through these contacts.
- For uploading the required documents, the student must ensure that he/ she uses the correct format and size while uploading each document. The candidate will have to upload scanned copies of his/ he photograph, signature, class 10th mark sheet, class 12th mark sheet, graduation mark sheet, birth certificate or proof of birth, experience certificate (if applicable), caste certificate (If applicable), etc.
- After filling all the details in the application form, the applicant should check the entries made by him/ her and proceed to pay the application fee.
- The application fee of M.Des at IIT Bombay can be paid through any online payment gateway like a credit card, debit card, net banking, etc.
- Once the form has been submitted successfully, it is advised that the candidate takes a print out of the form and the receipt for potential future use.
IIT Bombay M.Des Application Fee 2021
All interested candidates can check the application fee of M.Des at IIT Bombay in the table below. If the applicant wishes to apply for more than one programmes, he/ she will have to pay for each separately.
|Gender||General/ EWS||OBC (Non-Creamy)||ST/ SC||PwD|
|Female||Rs. 150||Rs. 150||Rs. 150||Rs. 150|
|Male||Rs. 300||Rs. 300||Rs. 150||Rs. 150|
|Third||Rs. 300||Rs. 300||Rs. 150||Rs. 150|
IIT Bombay M.Des Eligibility Criteria 2021
The table given below gives the detailed eligibility criteria of M.Des at IIT Bombay. The prerequisites set for each specialisation differ from those of another. IIT Bombay offers M.Des in the specialisations of Animation Design, Communication Design, Industrial Design, Interaction Design, and Mobility and Vehicle Design. The eligibility conditions for each of these courses have been mentioned below.
The candidate should have an undergraduate degree in Design/ Architecture/ Engineering/ Interior Design done in the pattern of 10+2+4 years. B.Plan is considered equivalent to B.Arch and the UG degree must be of four years.
The applicant should have completed a four years long B.Sc degree in Engineering which is considered equivalent to B.Tech or B.E.
Candidates who have a Professional Diploma in Design completed in the pattern of 10+2+4 years are also eligible.
Applicants with a B.F.A. degree of the duration of four years (done after class 12th) can also apply.
The candidate should have completed GD Art (a four-year programme done after a year of the foundation after class 10th) are eligible as well.
The student should have an undergraduate degree in Design/ Architecture/ Engineering/ Interior Design done in the pattern of 10+2+4 years. B.Plan is considered equivalent to B.Arch and the graduation degree must be of at least four years.
The candidate should have completed a four years long B.Sc degree in Engineering which is considered equivalent to B.Tech or B.E.
Applicants who have a Professional Diploma in Design completed in the pattern of 10+2+4 years are also eligible.
Those candidates who have a B.F.A. degree of the duration of four years (done after class 12th) can also apply.
The student should have completed GD Art (a four-year programme done after a year of the foundation after class 10th) are eligible as well.
It is mandatory for the student to have a bachelor’s degree in Design/ Architecture/ Interior Design/ Engineering of a duration of at least four years. Candidates with a B.Plan are also considered equivalent to the degree of B.Arch.
A B.Sc degree in Engineering which is four years long and is considered equivalent to B.E. or B.Tech is also acceptable. Candidates who have this degree done after class 12th in the pattern 10+2+4 can apply for this specialisation.
Students who have completed a Professional Diploma in Design of a minimum duration of four years are also eligible.
Students have to complete their undergraduate degree in any of the following streams: Interior Design/ Architecture/ Engineering/ Design. B.Plan is also an acceptable degree and the duration of whichever UG degree the candidate obtains should be at least four years.
The candidates who have a four year long B.Sc in Engineering degree done after HSC and considered equivalent to B.Tech/ B.E. are eligible as well.
Candidates should have a Professional Diploma in Design which is completed in the pattern of 10+2+4 years.
The institute also accepts a four-year-long B.F.A. degree completed after class 12th.
Those candidates who have a master’s degree in science or arts are done in the pattern of 10+2+3+2 (3-year graduation and 2-year postgraduate after class 12th) can apply as well. The degree of MCA is also accepted for admission to the course.
Students who have completed GD Art of four years done after 1 year of foundation programme after clearing class 10th are also eligible.
|Mobility and Vehicle Design|
The applicant must essentially have a bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Design/ Architecture/ Interior Design/ Bachelor of Planning (B.Plan) in the 10+2+4 years pattern.
The candidate should have completed a B.Sc degree in Engineering which should be of the duration of four years and is equivalent to either B.E. or B.Tech.
The student has to complete a Professional Diploma in Design over four years after class 12th. The duration of the diploma course must not be less than four years.
Candidates with a degree of BFA in Sculpture (a four-year professional programme completed after clearing the 10+2 level) are also eligible to apply.
IIT Bombay M.Des Selection Process 2021
The selection process of M.Des at IIT Bombay is carried out in several rounds. Each round assesses the aptitude, knowledge, and skills of the candidate for the course. The step-wise selection process of IIT Bombay for M.Des has been listed here.
- In the first step, the candidate has to appear for the Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) and apply for admission at IIT Bombay.
- Once the application process is over, IDC - IIT Bombay releases a merit list for each stream which contains the names of the shortlisted applicants.
- The selected applicants are sent invitations for the further rounds of selection.
- The shortlisted aspirants have to submit their respective portfolios on the dates assigned by the institute.
- The candidates have to appear for the Personal Interview conducted by IDC - IIT Bombay.
- After all the rounds completed, the institute releases a merit list which is prepared by analysing the candidate's performance in the portfolio round and the personal interview round.
- The institute also releases the final admission list and waitlist for each programme.
- All the candidates who have been offered admission in the final admission list are required to pay the fees and secure their seat within the given deadline.
IIT Bombay M.Des Seat Intake 2021
Candidates can check the seat intake for each M.Des specialisation at IIT Bombay in the table given below. The total number of candidates that are sent invitations for the interview round is eight times the total seats for each course.
|Mobility and Vehicle Design||5||5||2||1||2||14|
Also Read:Top 10 Design Entrance Exams in India
Popular Colleges for M.Des Admission
Some of the other top design colleges that offer M.Des course are specified below. Candidates can dial 1800-572-9877 (toll-free) or fill up the Common Application Form to get in touch with our admission experts and avail free assistance! You can also click on the links mentioned below to apply directly for M.Des admission.
Students who wish to make a career in design after pursuing a programme of Master in Design must check the admission process of IIT Bombay for M.Des. Stay tuned to CollegeDekho to get more information about Design admissions in India. Candidates who have certain doubts or queries can reach out to us through the QnA Zone of CollegeDekho where our experts will answer all their questions.