Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
On June 7, the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay announced the results of the IIT Bombay MDes Admission 2022 on its official web portal. To "CONFIRM" your admission, you must accept your offer and pay fees online between June 8 and June 15, 2022. Admission to IIT Bombay MDes 2022 is based on the candidates' performance in the CEED 2022 entrance exam, which is followed by an online interview and portfolio review. Shortlisted candidates will be admitted to MDes programmes at IDC IIT Bombay.
The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay comes among the leading design institutes of the country. Every year, innumerable students apply for admission to the design courses that are offered at IIT Bombay. The design aspirants of the country count IIT Bombay among their primary choices of design colleges in India. The Industrial Design Centre (IDC) of IIT Bombay is dedicated to providing world-class education in design at both the undergraduate as well as the postgraduate level. The admission process at IIT Bombay 2022 is almost over by now. Students were shortlisted for admission to MDes course based on the entrance exam of CEED (Common Entrance Examination of Design), portfolio submission round and performance in the interview round.
This article provides all the information about the Master of Design (MDes) admissions at IIT Bombay. Students who are looking forward to pursuing higher education in the stream of design at the postgraduate level must check the admission process and courses offered at IDC - IIT Bombay. This will give them proper insight into the specialisations offered under the MDes degree at the institute and the admission schedule as well.
IIT Bombay MDes Important Dates 2022
The admission schedule of MDes at IIT Bombay 2022 has been mentioned below.
Start date to fill IIT Bombay MDes application form 2022
March 24, 2022
End date IIT Bombay MDes admission 2022 registration
March 31, 2022
Date for declaration of result of candidates shortlisted for MDes
April 18, 2022
Due date to submit the registration and declaration form and communication of interview schedule
April 18 to 27, 2022
Last date of portfolio submission
April 29, 2022
IIT Bombay MDes 2022 admission online interview and portfolio review
May 4 to 10, 2022
Announce of the list of qualified candidates for MDes admission
June 7, 2022
Payment of fees for IIT MDes Admission 2022
June 8 to 15, 2022
IIT Bombay MDes Eligibility Criteria 2022
The table given below gives the detailed eligibility criteria of MDes at IIT Bombay. The prerequisites set for each specialisation differ from those of another. IIT Bombay offers MDes in the specialisations of Animation Design, Communication Design, Industrial Design, Interaction Design, and Mobility and Vehicle Design. The eligibility conditions for each of these courses have been mentioned below.
The candidate should have an undergraduate degree in Design/ Architecture/ Engineering/ Interior Design done in the pattern of 10+2+4 years. B Plan is considered equivalent to B Arch and the UG degree must be of four years.
Candidates who have a Professional Diploma in Design completed in the pattern of 10+2+4 years are also eligible.
Applicants with a BFA degree of the duration of four years (done after class 12th) can also apply.
The candidate should have completed GD Art (a four-year programme done after a year of the foundation after class 10th) are eligible as well.
The student should have an undergraduate degree in Design/ Architecture/ Engineering/ Interior Design done in the pattern of 10+2+4 years. B Plan is considered equivalent to B Arch and the graduation degree must be of at least four years.
The candidate should have completed a four years long B Sc degree in Engineering which is considered equivalent to B Tech or B E
Applicants who have a Professional Diploma in Design completed in the pattern of 10+2+4 years are also eligible.
Those candidates who have a BFA degree of the duration of four years (done after class 12th) can also apply.
The student should have completed GD Art (a four-year programme done after a year of the foundation after class 10th) are eligible as well.
It is mandatory for the student to have a bachelor’s degree in Design/ Architecture/ Interior Design/ Engineering of a duration of at least four years. Candidates with a BPlan are also considered equivalent to the degree of BArch.
A BSc degree in Engineering which is four years long and is considered equivalent to BE or BTech is also acceptable. Candidates who have this degree done after class 12th in the pattern 10+2+4 can apply for this specialisation.
Students who have completed a Professional Diploma in Design of a minimum duration of four years are also eligible.
Students have to complete their undergraduate degree in any of the following streams: Interior Design/ Architecture/ Engineering/ Design. B Plan is also an acceptable degree and the duration of whichever UG degree the candidate obtains should be at least four years.
The candidates who have a four year long BSc in Engineering degree done after HSC and considered equivalent to BTech/ BE are eligible as well.
Candidates should have a Professional Diploma in Design which is completed in the pattern of 10+2+4 years.
The institute also accepts a four-year-long BFA degree completed after class 12th.
Those candidates who have a master’s degree in science or arts are done in the pattern of 10+2+3+2 (3-year graduation and 2-year postgraduate after class 12th) can apply as well. The degree of MCA is also accepted for admission to the course.
Students who have completed GD Art of four years done after 1 year of foundation programme after clearing class 10th are also eligible.
|Mobility and Vehicle Design|
The applicant must essentially have a bachelor’s degree in Engineering/ Design/ Architecture/ Interior Design/ Bachelor of Planning (B Plan) in the 10+2+4 years pattern.
The candidate should have completed a B Sc degree in Engineering which should be of the duration of four years and is equivalent to either BE or BTech.
The student has to complete a Professional Diploma in Design over four years after class 12th. The duration of the diploma course must not be less than four years.
Candidates with a degree of BFA in Sculpture (a four-year professional programme completed after clearing the 10+2 level) are also eligible to apply.
How to Apply for IIT Bombay MDes Admissions?
The application process for MDes at IIT Bombay is done through the online mode only. Candidates can apply for MDes admissions at IIT Bombay provided they have appeared for CEED and have qualified the eligibility criteria for the course in which they seek admission. The steps to apply for MDes at IIT Bombay have been listed below. All interested students can follow these points to successfully complete their IIT Bombay MDes application process.
- The student will have to visit the official website of IDC IIT Bombay
- They will find the option of applying for MDes under the 'Admissions' section on the home page
- The candidate will be required to register himself/ herself as a new user and enter the basic details for it
- Once the registration process is complete, the candidate can proceed to fill the application form
- He/ she will have to fill in all the personal as well as academic details that are asked for in the form
- The applicant must make sure that all the details entered by him/ her are correct and valid. A slight discrepancy in the form will lead to the cancellation of the candidature of the applicant
- The candidate must also enter the email ID and mobile number that are active at all times as the institute will communicate with him/ her through these contacts
- For uploading the required documents, the student must ensure that he/ she uses the correct format and size while uploading each document. The candidate will have to upload scanned copies of his/ he photograph, signature, class 10th mark sheet, class 12th mark sheet, graduation mark sheet, birth certificate or proof of birth, experience certificate (if applicable), caste certificate (If applicable), etc
- After filling all the details in the application form, the applicant should check the entries made by him/ her and proceed to pay the application fee
- The application fee of MDes at IIT Bombay can be paid through any online payment gateway like a credit card, debit card, net banking, etc
- Once the form has been submitted successfully, it is advised that the candidate takes a print out of the form and the receipt for potential future use
IIT Bombay MDes Application Fee 2022
All interested candidates can check the application fee of MDes at IIT Bombay in the table below. If the applicant wishes to apply for more than one programmes, he/ she will have to pay for each separately.
|Gender||General/ EWS||OBC (Non-Creamy)||ST/ SC||PwD|
|Female||Rs. 150||Rs. 150||Rs. 150||Rs. 150|
|Male||Rs. 300||Rs. 300||Rs. 150||Rs. 150|
|Third||Rs. 300||Rs. 300||Rs. 150||Rs. 150|
IIT Bombay MDes Selection Process 2022
The selection process of MDes at IIT Bombay is carried out in several rounds. Each round assesses the aptitude, knowledge, and skills of the candidate for the course. The step-wise selection process of IIT Bombay for MDes has been listed here.
- In the first step, the candidate has to appear for the Common Entrance Examination for Design (CEED) and apply for admission at IIT Bombay
- Once the application process is over, IDC - IIT Bombay releases a merit list for each stream which contains the names of the shortlisted applicants
- The selected applicants are sent invitations for the further rounds of selection
- The shortlisted aspirants have to submit their respective portfolios on the dates assigned by the institute
- The candidates have to appear for the Personal Interview conducted by IDC - IIT Bombay
- After all the rounds completed, the institute releases a merit list which is prepared by analysing the candidate's performance in the portfolio round and the personal interview round
- The institute also releases the final admission list and waitlist for each programme
- All the candidates who have been offered admission in the final admission list are required to pay the fees and secure their seat within the given deadline
IIT Bombay MDes Cutoff 2022
Students applying for admission must achieve the required minimum grade. If applicants from various categories meet the IIT Bombay MDes Cutoff 2022, which is shown in the table below, they will be given admission.
Percentage of Marks scored
IIT Bombay MDes Seat Intake 2022
Candidates can check the seat intake for each MDes specialisation at IIT Bombay in the table given below. The total number of candidates that are sent invitations for the interview round is eight times the total seats for each course.
|Mobility and Vehicle Design||5||5||2||1||2||14|
Also Read:Top 10 Design Entrance Exams in India
Popular Colleges for MDes Admission
Some of the other top design colleges that offer MDes course are specified below. Candidates can dial 1800-572-9877 (toll-free) or fill up the Common Application Form to get in touch with our admission experts and avail free assistance! You can also click on the links mentioned below to apply directly for MDes admission.
Students who wish to make a career in design after pursuing a programme of Master in Design must check the admission process of IIT Bombay for MDes. Stay tuned to CollegeDekho to get more information about Design admissions in India. Candidates who have certain doubts or queries can reach out to us through the QnA Zone of CollegeDekho where our experts will answer all their questions.