TOEFL or The Test of English as a Foreign Langauge exam measures your ability to use and understand the English language at the higher education/ university level. TOEFL exam also evaluates how well you can combine Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing Skills to do academic tasks. TOEFL exam is accepted by more than 10,000 universities across 150 countries across the globe including the USA, Australia, Canada, UK, New Zealand, which is one of the main reason behind the popularity of TOEFL.
Stand out among other candidates as you will find all the information related to TOEFL Exam, TOEFL Practice Test, TOEFL Preparation, TOEFL Practice Test, TOEFL Syllabus etc in the article below.
About TOEFL Exam 2019
TOEFL exam is conducted by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). TOEFL is one of the most popular English proficiency exams which measures the ability of non-native English speakers. TOEFL is accepted worldwide and its test the international students' ability to understand Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing skills. If you are aspiring to study abroad, then you can choose from multiple TOEFL Test Dates. TOEFL test dates are available round-the-year and the test centers are also located in all the major cities.
TOEFL is conducting in two formats i.e. TOEFL iBT (Internet-based-Test) and TOEFL PBT (Paper-based Test). The TOEFL iBT is more popular among the aspirants as compared to TOEFL PBT. TOEFL PBT is only available in locations that lack internet services and the mode of examination does not have TOEFL Speaking Test due to unavailability of resources.
Also, TOEFL preparation helps you prepare for the academic English requirements of a university. The TOEFL test ensures that when you arrive at the university you are better prepared than others who have not taken the TOEFL exam.
TOEFL iBT students for TOEFL Internet-Based Test. It is the online version of the TOEFL test and is the most preferred medium of TOEFL. The method of measuring English fluency is the same.
TOEFL PBT stands for TOEFL paper-based test. It is the offline version of the TOEFL test and is conducted on paper. Not much popular among students, TOEFL PBT is conducted in the areas which lack internet facility. Also, TOEFL Speaking Test is not conducted in PBT due to limited resources.
Is TOEFL for You?
If you are looking forward to studying abroad, then yes TOEFL is for you. From Ivy League Schools in the United States to premier literature universities in the UK, TOEL is the most preferred English-language tests for students wanting to study abroad. Registration for TOEFL is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- 9 Out of the 10 universities in the USA prefer TOEFL scores over other English language tests.
- TOEFL test scores are accepted by all universities in Australia and Canada
- More than 80% of graduate programs in Canada prefer the TOEFL test over other English-language tests.
- TOEFL is widely accepted in the UK. 98% of UK universities prefer the TOEFL test over any other English language test.
What's new in TOEFL?
ETS the conducting body of TOEFL has shortened the duration of the test by 30 minutes. The new TOEFL exam pattern started on August 1, 2019. The number of questions in all three sections ( Read, Listening, Speaking) have been reduced. The current TOEFL test duration is 3 hours. ETS is also planning to start My Best Score which is basically considering the best scores of the candidates for each section from all valid TOEFL score from the previous two years. The new changes in the TOEFL will improve the overall experiences for the students.
Old TOEFL vs. New TOEFL
To understand the changes in the TOEFL exam, we have made a comparison of Old TOEFL vs. New TOEFL for you:
|TOEFL Sections||OLD TOEFL||NEW TOEFL|
|TOEFL Test Duration||3.5 hours||3 hours|
TOEFL Exam Dates 2019
TOEFL is a slot based exam. The TOEFL exam dates are available all around the year and is offered over 50 times in a year and at least 5 times each month. This will provide you with enough time for TOEFL preparation.
TOEFL Eligibility Criteria 2019
If you are planning to study abroad, then you will have to appear for the TOEFL exam. However, there is a certain eligibility criterion that you will have to meet before applying for the TOEFL exam. The TOEFL eligibility criteria is explained in detail below:
- Students have successfully passed 10+2 or equivalent examination are eligible to apply for the TOEFL.
- There is no age requirement for the TOEFL test.
TOEFL Exam Pattern 2019
For your convenience, we have simplified the TOEFL exam pattern here:
|TOEFL Sections||Overview||Number of Questions||Time|
||30 to 40 Questions||54 to 72 Minutes|
||28 to 39 questions||41 to 57 minutes|
||4 tasks||17 minutes|
||2 tasks||50 minutes|
TOEFL Syllabus 2019
Educational Testing Service (ETS) provides the TOEFL syllabus. Here is the TOEFL syllabus in the tested four sections:
Section- 1 Reading
- 3 to 4 passages will be given based on which 30 to 40 questions will be asked
- 10 question per passage and the standard length of each passage will be around 700 words.
- Practice completing each Reading passage in 18 minutes.
- There are three types of questions in the Reading section viz MCQ with one right response, MCQ with one right response requiring you to “insert a sentence” where it fits best in a passage, MCQs related to “reading to learn” where there could be more than one right response to a question.
Section -2 Listening
- In the listening section you will listen to short audio/ lecture/ conversation and question will be asked on the basis of it.
- The questions asked will consist of Charts, events, MCQs.
- There will be 3 to 4 lectures/audio/conversation.
- Your ability to listen and understand English will be measured in this section.
Section -3 Speaking
The speaking section of TOEFL is divided into two - Independent Task and Integrated Task.
- You will be given 15 seconds to prepare and 45 seconds to respond. You will have to speak about a topic in a given category which is based on your personal choice.
- You will be asked to read and listen to material about a certain topic and respond based on your comprehension for which you will be given 30 seconds to prepare and 60 seconds to respond.
- You will be scored on your speech delivery such as clarity, pronunciation, etc.
Section- 4 Writing
- You will be required to write essay responses based on the reading and listening tasks
- You will be required to support an opinion in writing.
TOEFL Preparation Tips 2019
To prepare for the TOEFL exam there are two ways i.e. self-study or coaching classes. For self-study, there is ample amount of online mock test and preparation material available. However, if you need professional guidence then attending coaching classes is a good idea. These coaching centers conduct the mock test from time to time and conduct classes to work on your weak areas.
TOEFL Practice Paper
TOEFL test is not a cakewalk and requires you to have a good command over the English language. TOEFL is divided into four sections and it is very important to be well prepared for each section. There are many TOEFL practice paper and mock tests available online which will help you prepare each section.
TOEFL Scoring Scheme 2019
The TOEFL scoring scheme can be checked below:
|TOEFL Section||Section Range||Mean Scores||Level|
The Validity of TOEFL Scores 2019
Your TOEFL scores are valid for a period of two years post the declaration of the result. In case, you are not satisfied with your TOEFL scores in the first attempt, you can try again. There is no limitation on the number of retakes for the test. However, there should be at least a 12-day gap between your TOEFL retakes.
Countries Accepting TOEFL Scores
TOEFL scores are accepted by more than 150 countries around the world including the US, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada. TOEFL is the most preferred accepted English language test for students looking forward to studying abroad.Universities Accepting TOEFL Scores
Over 10,000 universities across the world accept TOEFL scores. From the USA to the UK, to Canada to Australia to New Zealand. TOEFL is widely accepted.
TOEFL Registration 2019
The TOEFL registration can be done in one of the three ways- Online, by Phone or by Mail. Before you register for the TOEFL exam, you must have a valid Passport. Registration for TOEFL is open throughout the year. All three ways in which you can register for the TOEFL are mentioned below
TOEFL Online Registration
The TOEFL online registration process is less time consuming and easy to follow. For TOEFL online registration all you need is a good internet connection. To registration for TOEFL online, follow these steps:
- Visit TOEFL website- https://www.ets.org/
- Select the TOEFL test for which you want to appear
- Schedule your TOEFL test date out of the days provided by ETS.
- Enter all the relevant information. Make sure that all the information you fill out in the form is the same as mentioned in the Passport.
- Make the payment via Netbanking/ Debit Card/ Credit Card
TOEFL Phone Registration
If you are planning to register for the TOEFL exam via phone, follow the steps given below:
- Visit TOEFL website- https://www.ets.org/
- Select your region and find a phone number allocated for your region
- Provide the details and schedule your TOEFL test
- Make payment by providing Credit Card details
TOEFL Mail Registration
Another easy way to register for your TOEFL exam is via email. Check out the steps to register for TOEFL exam via email:
- Download and fill the TOEFL registration form
- Choose the payment mode
- Send the filled copy of the registration form along with the payment receipt to RRC. The contact details are available on the official website.
TOEFL Exam Fees 2019
The TOEFL exam is $180. However, there is a penalty for late registration of $40 if you are unable to pay the fees within the given time. The late registration penalty of $ 40 is active four days prior to the TOEFL exam. The TOEFL fees is mentioned in detail below:
TOEFL Exam Fee
TOEFL Late Fee
TOEFL Rescheduling Fee
TOEFL Additional Score Reports
TOEFL Speaking or Writing Section Score Review
TOEFL Speaking or Writing Section Score Review
TOEFL Result 2019
Once you are done with your TOEFL exam, you do not have to wait long for the results. When the TOEFL scores are declared online, you will be informed about the same via your registered email ID. To check your TOEFL result login to your TOEFL iBT account and go to scores options. The results are declared 10 days after the TOEFL test. It takes 13 days for printed scores to reach you. TOEFL scores are valid for the next two years from the date of result declaration.
Opportunities to study abroad after class 12th are increasing every day and TOEFL is a gateway to many renowned universities in the world. Timely preparation of the TOEFL test and practice can help you score well.
All the Best for your future endeavors!
Stay tuned to collegdekho for more updates on TOEFL.