Established in 1971 and named as University of Cochin, it was the symbol of commitment from the Government of Kerala towards the new scientific policy resolution adopted by the Central Government on 4th March 1958. The birth of the new University was with the specific purpose of “development of higher education with particular emphasis on post-graduate studies and research in applied science, technology, industry and commerce”. The University of Cochin was later reorganized as Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) in February 1986. Specialisations are available in all Faculties/Departments for higher studies and research. By giving recognition to several well-established premier research institutions in the country and the Southern Naval Command of Indian Navy, the University has brought within its reach the resources available in these institutions also to the use of the academic community.
CUSAT Vision and Mission
The University’s basic philosophy and goals find eloquent expression in its Coat of Arms emblazoning the motto “Tejaswinavadhitamastu” which in essence means “may the wisdom accrued defy us both the teacher and the taught and percolate to the Universe in its totality”, which in essence means “may learning illumine us both” (the teacher and the taught).
The University shall have the following objectives as its mission:
- to prosecute and promote research in applied science, technology, industry, commerce, management and social science for the advancement of knowledge and for the betterment of society;
- to provide facilities and offer opportunities for graduate and post-graduate education in applied science, technology, industry, commerce, management and social science by instruction, training, research, development and extension and by such other means as the University may deem fit;
- (iii) to devise and implement programmes of education in applied science, technology, industry, commerce, management and social science that are relevant to the changing needs of society, in terms of breadth of diversity and depth of specialization;
- to serve as a centre for fostering co-operation and exchange of ideas between the academic and research community on the one hand and industry on the other;
- to organise exchange programmes with other institutions of repute in India and abroad with a view to keeping abreast of the latest developments in relevant areas of teaching and research.
Awards & Rankings
- CUSAT has found a place among the best universities in the world, in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2016-17 with a rank in the 800+ category.
- In the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) University rankings CUSAT was placed in the top 30 for the year 2016.
- The university is placed at fifth rank in India in the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities with a world ranking of 1150.
the most popular courses across India, at one place
Create a free Profile now.
the most popular exams across India, at one place