About Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology
Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi (aka. IIIT-Delhi or IIIT-D) was created as a State University by an act of Delhi Government (The IIIT Delhi Act, 2007) empowering it to do research and development and grant degrees. IIIT-Delhi was officially established on 10th June, 2008 as per this notification in the Delhi Gazette. First class (for BTech(CSE) students) was held on 8th September, 2008.
The institute began with its first batch of 60 BTech students in 2008. This first batch graduated in 2012 - the first Convocation took place in November, 2012. By that time, the institute has attracted nearly 30 faculty members, and its academic program consisted of B.Tech., M.Tech. and Ph.D. programs in CSE and ECE. In a relatively short time, it has earned a good reputation in India and abroad for being a center of quality education and research in IT. 2012 turned out be more remarkable year because during the summer of this year, the institute started functioning from its permanent campus in Okhla. Smt. Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister of Delhi, inaugurated the campus in October, 2012.
Awards & Rankings
- IIIT-Delhi has been ranked 3rd best Engineering College in Delhi by THE WEEK- Hasan Research, 2011
- IIIT-Delhi was ranked as the 9th best Engineering College in the Northern India Zone.
- IIIT-Delhi has been ranked 34th among all the colleges in India.
- Dr. Anand Srivastava received Errasmus Mundus Fellowship [visiting Scholar to Aston University], Feb 2015. June/July 2015.
- Dr. Anand Srivastava got Best Poster award in IEEE ANTS 2014 Conference.
- Dr. Angshul Majumdar received Best Reviewer award 2013-14 for Elsevier Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
- Dr. P.K received Best Paper award. Roy, R., Padmakumar, A., Jeganathan, G., and Kumaraguru, P. Automated Linguistic r. Sujay Deb won the India-US Grand Challenge: Affordable Blood Pressure Measurement Technologies for Low-Resource Settings in India and the U.S. 2014.Personalization of Targeted Marketing Messages Mining User-generated Text on Social Media. Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics 2015 (CICLing ‘15).
- Dr. Sujay Deb won the India-US Grand Challenge: Affordable Blood Pressure Measurement Technologies for Low-Resource Settings in India and the U.S. 2014.
- Seven PhD students awarded TCS Research Scholarship for the year 2015-16
- Best Poster award at SoCS 2014.
Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology Vision and Mission
The Mission of IIIT-Delhi is to be a global centre of excellence in Information Technology education, training and research. Its twin aims are:
- To carry out advanced research and development in information and software technologies, and in leveraging IT in specific domain areas.
- To train and educate, at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, engineers of outstanding ability who can become innovators and new product creators.
The Vision of the Institute is to be a world-class research-led institution of higher education in IT and allied areas which
- Is globally respected for research and education
- Offers thriving UG and PG programs
- Is socially relevant, industry facing, and globally connected
It aims to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship in specified domain areas of IT. Towards this end it plans to organize itself as a conglomerate of R&D Centers, some of which would be in partnership with different companies and global organizations. All centers will also be engaged in teaching and thesis guidance. These centers, with various labs, will be the hub of activity, with active contribution from faculty and students—BTech, MTech and PhD.
"I am very pleased to invite companies to visit our Institute for considering our graduating B.Tech (CSE & ECE) and M.Tech (CSE & ECE) students for recruitment. In a short span, IIIT-Delhi has established itself as one of the leading institutes in research and education in engineering, with one of the finest faculty, all of whom are PhDs from across the world. Our computer science UG students obtain excellent technical training which includes, besides core areas like data structures, operating systems, networking, databases, software engineering, etc. courses on advanced topics like data mining, mobile computing, information security, image processing, etc as electives. Electronics is a very diverse field; getting expertise in all the areas is not possible during UG studies. Keeping that in mind, we allow our UG students to take elective courses during the last two years of study. This gives them the option to go deeper in either of the following ECE areas- VLSI, communication engineering, signal processing, or the controls and embedded system stream with a fairly good knowledge in these ECE domains. In addition, with a strong CSE department on campus, ECE students have the advantage of taking software courses and training, as well as relevant CS courses. Many of these courses, both in CSE and ECE have group projects, which help students develop abilities to work in a team. In addition, they go through a stream of courses on communication including basic communication skills and technical communication. Overall, IIIT-Delhi graduates have solid technical skills, decent understanding of some domains, good communication skills, and good exposure to problem solving and team work. M.Tech(CSE) students graduate with a degree in general CSE, in Data Engineering, in Information Security or in Mobile Computing. M.Tech(ECE) students graduate with a degree in ECE (general), or with a specialization in VLSI and Embedded Systems (VLSI), or specialization in Communication and Signal Processing (CSP). With a quality student body as B.Tech, M.Tech, and PhD students, the research and study culture at IIIT Delhi is very encouraging and motivating for the students."
Dr. Pankaj Jalote
Chairman Message :
"Though very young, IIIT-Delhi is now firmly on its way to realizing its mission of becoming a globally respected Institute for research and higher education. With its focus on recruiting highly qualified faculty from across the world, it has already emerged as one of the leading Institutes in IT, capable of developing well trained and innovative young professionals. Its graduates combine a solid technical grounding with other supporting knowledge, including soft skills. This type of talent is unique and in short supply; it will be of special interest to companies working in cutting edge technologies. In this era of knowledge, companies know the value of talent and of innovation. I invite all such corporations, working in the forefront of Information Technology, to visit IIIT-Delhi for recruitment."
Dr. Kiran Karnik
It is well known that even the top academic Institutes in India, while imparting good education, have not succeeded in delivering quality research. Some of the reasons for this are complacency, lack of incentives, shortage of PhD students, insufficient focus on group building, etc. Clearly, to establish a research university in India that compares to the top schools in the world, old models cannot work and new approaches would have to be employed that address many of these issues. IIIT Delhi (www.iiitd.ac.in) is a research-led institute with a clear goal of becoming a globally respected academic Institution in IT and allied areas. Being unencumbered by past, it has employed many measures to help it achieve its vision, making it one of the most vibrant and exciting academic environments in India and an ideal place for a young researcher who wishes to work in India and make an impact/difference. This document is intended for prospective faculty, especially those studying or working abroad. It is to help answer some practical questions that arise when making a switch to a new, fledging place such as IIIT-D from the multiple options that are available to the prospective faculty. For further information, please contact the Director, Pankaj Jalote, Jalote@iiitd.ac.in .
Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology News
Contact Details of Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi
Address:IIIT-Delhi , Okhla Industrial Estate,Phase III (Near Govind Puri Metro Station) New Delhi, India - 110020
the most popular courses across India, at one place
Create a free Profile now.
the most popular exams across India, at one place