About Kongunadu Arts & Science College
COIMBATORE, the fast growing industrial hub of Kongunadu had the need for more colleges during the 70s, and this demand was fulfilled on 12th August 1973, the day on which Kongunadu Arts and Science College came into existence.
16th October 1972 is a memorable day in the history of our College. On that day, the Tudiyalur Cooperative Agricultural Services Limited organized a function to celebrate Saraswathi Pooja. (Late) Thiru. V.K. Lakshmanan, M.Sc., (Ex-MLA), a progressive agriculturist and public worker noted for his selfless service and devotion to work and Dr.M.Aruchami, M.Sc., BT., Ph.D., FAZ., FRES (Lond), the present President of our College Council and Committee participated in the function. During the function, both of them expressed their long cherished desire to start a College which was immediately welcomed and endorsed by (Late) Thiru. T.N. Palanisamy,M.A., IC (Dip) USA, the then President of the Thudiyalur Cooperative Agricultural Service.
The eminent Doctor (Late) N.S. Palaniappan, MBBS., DLO., who had a similar idea to start a college on behalf of Anna Memorial Committee in Coimbatore provided active support to this Mission. Well educated and eminent personalities like (Late) Thiru.N.Kumaraswamy, (Late) Thiru.K.P.Muthuswamy, M.A., Thiru.V.S.Chinnaswami Gounder, (Late) Thiru.S.R.Rathnaswami Gounder, (Late) Thiru.R.Ramasamy, Texmo Industries, (Late) Thiru. M.Subbiah Gounder, (Late) Thiru.C.S.Ramachandran B.A., (Late) Er.K.M.Elangovan, B.E., and the present active member of the College Council and Committee, Er.R.Somasundaram B.E.,FIE., contributed their might in establishing this Higher Education Institution.
The Tudiyalur Cooperative Agricultural Services Limited was liberal enough to donate about Rs.75,000/- which included the dividend of 16,000 farmers. Other generous donors from the agricultural community and philanthropists of Kongunadu also made valuable contributions.
Dr.M.Aruchami, one of the founders of the College, the first Principal, former Secretary and the present President, a dedicated educationist with his sharp academic acumen, futuristic vision, the strong, impartial, transparent and able leadership has guided this Institution to its present state of fame and glory. Er.R.Somasundaram B.E.,FIE., a man of strong and clear convictions endowed with keen sense of imagination and dedication is presently serving as a Member in the College Council and the College Committee and is guiding the institution on the right path. Tmy.C.A.Vasuki M.Sc., daughter of Dr.M.Aruchami and alumna of this college, a strong achiever has taken over charge as the present Secretary of the College.
The College is ideally located in serene and rural surroundings not far from the city. It is conveniently connected with all parts of the city through frequent town buses plying from various destinations. Started in the year 1973 with a humble beginning, the college has grown magnificently in academic stature with autonomous status having 12 Research Departments, 14 PG Departments and 20 UG Departments. The college is imparting higher education to approximately 4000 students, majority of whom hail from socially and economically weaker sections of the society. More than 50% of the students studying in the college are girls and thus the college is playing a pivotal role in women empowerment and social justice.
Awards & Rankings
- Nine of College staff members were honoured with Best Teachers, Best Researchers and Exemplary Service awards by the College Management after evaluating their performance at the Pearl Jubilee Celebration in 2004.
- These awardees unanimously decided to form a research foundation in the name of Thiru. Dr. M. Aruchami, Secretary of the College, who is striving hard in making the College as one of the best higher education institutions in India. Christened as “Dr. M. Aruchami Research Foundation”, it was founded on 10.01.2004 and is doing its best to encourage research activities in the College to a great height.
Kongunadu Arts & Science College Vision and Mission
Developing the total personality of every student in a holistic way by adhering to the principles of Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi.
- Imparting holistic and man-making education with emphasis on character, culture and value - moral and ethical.
- Designing the curriculum and offering courses that transform its students into value added skilled human resources.
- Constantly updating academic and management practices towards total quality management and promotion of quality in all spheres.
- Extending the best student support services by making them comprehensive and by evolving a curriculum relevant to student community and society at large.
- Taking steps to make education affordable and accessible by extending scholarships to the meritorious and economically disadvantaged students.
- Moulding the teachers in such a way that they become the role models in promoting Higher Education.
Contact Details of Kongunadu Arts & Science College, Coimbatore
Address:G.N. Mills Post, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India- 641029