About National Institute of Technology
The National Institute of Technology (formerly known as Regional Engineering College) Tiruchirappalli, situated in the heart of Tamil Nadu on the banks of river Cauvery, was started as a joint and co-operative venture of the Government of India and the Government of Tamil Nadu in 1964 with a view to catering to the needs of man-power in technology for the country. The college has been conferred with autonomy in financial and administrative matters to achieve rapid development. Because of this rich experience, this institution was granted Deemed University Status with the approval of the UGC/AICTE and Govt. of India in the year 2003 and renamed as National Institute of Technology. NIT-T was registered under Societies Registration Act XXVII of 1975.
The institution offers Under Graduate Courses in ten branches and Post Graduate Courses in twenty-one disciplines of Science, Engineering & Technology besides M.S. (by Research) and Ph.D. in all the departments. The faculty is inducted through a process of open advertisement throughout the country. The institute is an example of cultural unity with students drawn from most of the states in the country.
The hallmark of the campus is the good facilities which caters to the academic and extracurricular interests of the students. The Octagon is the pride of the campus equipped with modern facilities like a CAD/CAM Lab, Local Area Network, High-Speed Internet connection, and other seminar and conference facilities. It is maintained and run by the Computer Support Group (CSG) of the institute.
Apart from this, the campus provides ample opportunities for developing extracurricular skills which include NCC, NSS, Students Chapters of IEEE, social clubs, and sports & games. The Alumni of this institution have excelled in various spheres and are positioned very well globally in a number of leading Government, Public Sector & Private Organizations.
NIT-T hosts two intercollegiate fests namely Festember (Cultural) and Pragyan (Technical) and an inter-department fest namely NITTfest (Cultural) annually. These fests draw students from most colleges of South India and are hugely popular. Apart from this, each department conducts Symposium.
The College has a total campus area of 800 acres. This includes good hostel facilities, Hospital, Post & Telegraph, Telecom Center, fully computerized State Bank of India (SBI) NIT branch with ATM facility, Bookstall, Reprographic Center, Canteen, Swimming pool and Co-op. Stores.
Awards & Rankings
- According to The Times of India, it is ranked 1 in the National Institutes of Technology Rankings 2014.
- According to the National Institutional Ranking Framework, it is ranked 12 in the Indian engineering university rankings 2016.
- "Best Industry linked National Institute of Technology in India" by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) in the year 2015.
- "Managerial excellence award" in the educational institutions category by Madras Management Association in 2013.
National Institute of Technology Vision and Mission
- To offer state-of-the-art undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programmes.
- To generate new knowledge by engaging in cutting-edge research.
- To undertake collaborative projects with academia and industries.
- To develop the human intellectual capability to its fullest potential.
- To provide valuable resources for industry and society through excellence in technical education and research.
National Institute of Technology News
Contact Details of National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli
Contact No:+91-431-2503000 , +91-431-2504000
Address:Tanjore Main Road, National Highway 67, Tiruchirappalli - 620015, Tamil Nadu, India.
the most popular courses across India, at one place
Create a free Profile now.
the most popular exams across India, at one place