Shyam Lal College (SLC), a co-educational constituent college of the University of Delhi, was established in 1964 by the great visionary and entrepreneur Padmashree (late) Shri Shyam Lal Gupta, the then Chairman of Shyam Lal charitable trust. The foundation stone of the College was laid down by Dr. Zakir Hussain, the then Hon'ble Vice President of India and Chancellor of the University of Delhi. The aim of the College, at the time of inception, was to make quality education accessible to the students, especially girls, from the economically and educationally disadvantaged community of East Delhi. Since its establishment in 1964, SLC has come a long way and has become a centre of academic excellence in University of Delhi
Spread over on a sprawling campus of 29,501 square meters and a built up area of 7,505,40 square meters, SLC offers 09 Undergraduate courses in various streams of Science, Commerce and Humanities and 01 Postgraduate course (in Hindi). Two new courses have been approved by the University: Mathematics (Hons) and Chemistry (Hons), and from the academic year 2017-18 the College will be offering these to the students. At present, there are 3940 students enrolled in the College. SLC has a highly dedicated faculty of 132 teachers and 87 non-teaching staff (including the temporary faculty and the non- teaching staff).
In order to keep up with the rising pedagogical demands, the College recently upgraded its infrastructure and other academic facilities. The College is now a Wi-Fi zone with internet access to every student and the Staff. Last year, the College added an entire new building - the Porta Block - to its existing infrastructure including a 100 seater state-of-the art Seminar room equipped with the latest ICT facility. Most of the rooms in the main building have been upgraded with LCD projector and other facilities. There are 07 well-equipped undergraduate labs in the College – Physics Lab, Chemistry Lab, Biology Lab, Electronics Lab and three Computer Labs. The Computer Labs of the College offer the very best in terms of hardware and software to the students and the faculty. Staff room, Library, Office and Canteen have been recently renovated into fine air-conditioned spaces. The entire campus is under CCTV surveillance.
SLC has a rich and well stocked ICT enabled library. It has more than 76000 books and subscribed journals on diverse subjects. The library also has OPAC facility to make the task of locating books easier for the students and the faculty. Our library is automated and RFID technology will be introduced in the library in the near future. We also have a fully air conditioned Knowledge Resource Centre where students and teachers can acquire abundant knowledge through e-resources by accessing world's best databases, E-Journals, E-books and Reports in an easy and expeditious manner.
With the primary objective of providing quality education to all, SLC makes special efforts to enable and facilitate learning among the students belonging to the underprivileged sections. The College ensures that special classes – Remedial as well as Spoken English are held on continuous basis for the students who have difficulty in coping with the demands of the curriculum. The Equal Opportunity Cell of the College takes care of these classes with support from the respective faculty of the College who are accessible to the students for any type of help. Fee concession is also given to the needy students. Besides, the College has a SC/ST Cell and a liason officer to facilitate activities of these sections. The College makes every effort to provide barrier free mobility to all PwD students everywhere in the campus. Ramps and signage on passages have been provided at maximum possible places. Due to unavoidable circumstances, where 100% barrier free mobility cannot be assured, classes for PwD students are conducted on the ground floor to cause minimum inconvenience to them. The College has set up a well-equipped Facilitation Centre for PwD students. The activities are actively monitored by the Nodal Officer, PwD.
The College, in its effort to maximize the teaching learning outcome, has established five important Centres that offer unique platform and opportunity to the students to have a wholesome learning experience. These Centres are: Centre for Holistic Development (CHD), Centre for Industry Interaction and Skill Development (CIISD), Women Development Cell (WDC), Ambedkar Study Circle (ASC) and Gandhi Study Circle (GSC). The important events organized and initiatives taken by these Centres have evidently opened the minds of the students to newer ways of thinking. These Centres have taken up cross-cutting issues related to modern lifestyle, gender, caste identity in India, professional challenges, social anomalies etc. SLC is guided by its vision to develop itself as a premier educational institution offering vibrant inclusive environment for the development of excellence in academics, culture, sports and other student empowered activities.
Why join SLC
Wholesome education for its students is something that Shyam Lal College has always stood for. But the College takes pride in the fact that it strives to play a much larger social role beyond providing quality education. A co-educational institution, it provides a 3% relaxation in marks to female candidates during admission with the intention of correcting the gender discrimination prevailing in Indian society. Further, the College is very much aware of the historical disparity that has existed in educational and economic development of East Delhi vis-a-vis the rest of the city. By imparting quality education to the under-privileged people of East Delhi, the College has made a modest attempt in filling this gap as well. The College also extends a warm welcome to talented students from other regions including the North-east, specially the states which are unable to provide access to quality education within their borders. Apart from that SLC offers 09 Undergraduate courses in various streams of Science, Commerce and Humanities and 01 Postgraduate course (in Hindi). Two new courses have been approved by the University: Mathematics (Hons) and Chemistry (Hons), and they will be introduced in the College from the academic year 2017-18. The OMSP subject choice as part of B.A (Prog.) course offers the students an additional professional knowledge based opportunity that further improves their career prospects.
CONNECTIVITY AND SECURITY
In terms of its connectivity to the rest of the city, SLC is one of the best connected colleges in the entire Delhi University. It has all modern means of transport including the Metro, available right in front of the College. To assure safety and security of its students, the College has always been extra vigilant. Its recent initiatives in this direction include installing CCTV Cameras at crucial points of The College. A Proctorial Board looks into various matters related to safety, security and discipline in College. The Shahdara Police Station which is situated adjacent to the College campus also remains alive to the security concerns of the students and usually posts its officers close to the College to ensure that no compromise is ever made on these crucial aspects.
ADDITIONAL SECURITY FOR FEMALE STUDENTS
The College has undertaken special initiative to make the campus safe for our female students, which is so very necessary to impart them with confidence to carry on their various academic and non-academic pursuits without any fear. To prevent the intrusion of outsiders – a potential risk for the safety of women – the College gives entry only to the valid students of the College consequent to checking of their College Identity Cards. The College also maintains electronic surveillance over the movement and activities of individuals inside its campus. A Committee for prohibition of Sexual Harassment is constituted every year with members from teaching and non-teaching staff as well as from the student community to take necessary measures so that incidents of sexual harassment are prevented in the first place, and for penal action in the eventuality of such incidents actually occurring. The College tries its best to extend this security cover to places around the College as well, and to achieve this objective, the College authorities regularly coordinate with other civic institutions including Police and the women’s commission.
The objective is to nourish, nurture and promote holistic higher education, providing equal opportunity to all. We not only aim to impart comprehensive subject knowledge to our students but also develop them as responsible citizens with critical thinking and analytical abilities, thereby contributing to the development of healthy environment and a society free from any kind of discrimination and gender bias.
- SLC, being a constituent college of the University of Delhi, strictly adheres to all the curriculum reforms and amendments stipulated by the University. The College boosts of highly distinguished faculty members. The faculty and staff of the College is a mix blend of senior and youngteachers dedicated to the cause of teaching and learning. This has anadded synergy of research with the involvement and empowerment ofstudents. With an aim to transform the students into the leaders of tomorrow, SLC has very clearly stated Vision, Mission and Objectives based on values, ethics and organization, appropriating them with the Industrial needs of the time.Teachers, at SLC, are exposed to adopt innovative teaching methods such as Virtualclasses by distinguished experts, use of Cinema in the class room, CaseStudies, Live Projects, Presentations, Field work, ExperientialTeaching and Educational Tours.
- The College has also initiated various skill-based enrichment programmes for the students that come under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana; Computer Basics Training; Online Trading, etc. under the auspices of Skill Development Committee; and self-financed course like Cosmetology for the welfare of students.This is in sync with the well-turned placement cell andhas further been galvanized with the establishment of Centre for Industry Interactionand skill Development that undertakes many workshops on enhancing the entrepreneurial and soft skills of the students . The College also holds Remedial classes for academically weak students. At the same time, there are tutorials where students interact with teachers and clarify their doubts about the texts/units in the syllabi. Tutorials also give a platform to students to interact with the teachers for further mentoring and counselling.
- ? We, at SLC, get large number of students from the underprivileged sections of the neighboring localities, and in the process of imparting higher education, we polish their skills and develop their academic orientation towards achieving higher goals. SLC boosts of modern well-integrated campus with complete Wi-Fi andwell equipped computer labs and fully computerized library.
- We, at SLC, understand the significance of exposing our students to the demands of Industry and research during the duration of their stay in the College. The main objective, in this regard, is to familiarize the students and faculty with the professional relevance of the curriculum that they study in the College. This is made possible through industrial and institutional visits by our students that familiarize them with the working of the industrial setup and scope of research. SLC students have been taken to visit institutions like NIFTEM, NPL (National Physics Lab), Biodiversity Park etc.
- Channelizing the energy of the youth and raw talent in the positive direction andpreparing them to become good human beings.
- Development of the entrepreneurial skills, among the students, inalignment with the national ‘Skill India’ programme.
- Developing students from diverse backgrounds as future leadersthrough continuous academic and extra-curricular engagement.
With the active support from the Governing Body, we are exploring the possibilities of collaborating with reputed international and national universities/institutions for joint research projects involving student and teacher exchange programmes.
SLC Vision and Mission
- SLC strives for meaningful transformation of learners to responsible citizens by providing them with an all inclusive and value based education.
- SLC provides a constantly caring, supportive and secure teaching and learning environment for engagement with the students and other stakeholders to achieve excellence in academics, sports, extra-curricular activities and develop analytical temper with a focus on instilling strong values to prepare them as leaders. SLC adopts environment friendly practices and formulates strategies for strengthening research and innovation in the College that expand the realm of knowledge.
Awards & Rankings
Sports Achievements :
- Hockey: The College Hockey Team became Champion of Inter College Hockey Tournament, University of Delhi for the first time in the history of SLC.
- The Netball Team secured 2nd position in Inter College Netball Tournament, University of Delhi.
- Netball Secured 3rd Position in Delhi Olympic Netball Championship.
- SLC Baseball Team secured 1st position in Delhi State Baseball Tournament.
- Baseball Team secured 2nd position in Inter College Baseball Tournament, University of Delhi.
- Kabaddi: The College Kabaddi Team secured 3rd position in Inter College Kabaddi Tournament, University of Delhi.
Board of Governors
|Padmashree (late) Shri Shyam Lal Gupta||Founder Chairman, SLC|
|Smt. Savita Gupta||Chairperson, SLC & Vice Chairperson of S. Chand Group of Companies|
|Shree. Dinesh Jhunjhnuwala||Member|
|Mr. K.C. Ganjwal||Member & Treasurer|
|Mrs. Rita Wilson||Member|
|Smt. Sarita Agarwal||Member|
|Dr. Indu Khetarpal||Member|
|Dr. Anand Sharma Nandram||Member|
|Ms. Gayatri Prakash||Member|
|Prof. S.S. Khanka||Member|
|Sh. Bihari Lal Singhal||Member|
|Dr. Uma Tuli||Member|
|Dr. Nainu Ram||Teacher Representative(DAY)|
|Dr. Reeta Sharma||Teacher Representative(DAY)|
|Prof. Ashok Prasad||University Representative|
|Prof. C.K. Jaggi||University Representative|
|Ms. Surbhi Badhwar||Teacher Representative(EVE)|
|Ms. Stuti Gupta||Teacher Representative(EVE)|
|Sh. Rakesh Singh||Non- Teaching Representative (DAY),Spl. Invitee|
|Shr. Ashwani Kumar||Non- Teaching Representative (Eve),Spl. Invitee|
|Dr. Rabi Narayan Kar||Member-Secretary & Principal, SLC|
|Dr. Pravin Kumar||PRINCIPAL, SLC(E)|
I take this opportunity to greet you all. SLC, established in 1964 by a great visionary and entrepreneur, Padmashree (late) Shri Shyam Lal Gupta, the then Chairman of Shyam Lal charitable trust, aims to make quality education accessible to the students, especially girls, from the economically and educationally disadvantaged community of East Delhi. SLC, being a leading higher education institute in East Delhi, imparts inclusive education through innovative teaching practices. Our vision is to "Educate, Enlighten and Empower" the learners in an attempt to make them aware human beings, responsible citizens and future leaders.
SLC offers 09 Undergraduate courses in various streams of Science, Commerce and Humanities and 01 Postgraduate course (in Hindi). Two new courses – Mathematics (H) and Chemistry (H) are expected to start from 2017-18. In order to keep up with the rising pedagogical demands, the College recently upgraded its infrastructure and other academic facilities. The entire campus is a Wi-Fi zone with internet access to every student and the Staff. Last year, the College added an entire new building to its existing infrastructure. The entire campus is under CCTV surveillance. Campus spaces such as the Library, Office, Knowledge Resource Centre and the Accounts section have been fully digitized with a view to embrace the government's national call for 'Digital India Program' that ultimately empowers and increases the access to knowledge for all the stakeholders of the College.
The College implements the national policy of reservation with respect to admissions and appointments for faculty and non-teaching staff. We give preference to girl students at the time of admission. The College since long has been promoting girl education by giving a concession of 3% at the time of admission (this year it has been fixed to 1% for all DU colleges) in all the courses offered. We regularly conduct workshops, counseling sessions and seminars on gender equality and sensitization to ensure gender parity in the campus. The College, in its effort to maximize the teaching-learning outcome, has established five important Centres: Centre for Holistic Development (CHD), Centre for Industry Interaction and Skill Development (CIISD), Women Development Cell (WDC), Gandhi Study Circle (GSC) and Ambedkar Study Circle (ASC).
The Academic results of the students of the College have effectively resulted in steady progress over the years with a large number of students securing first division in different subjects. The faculty comprises of several experts in their respective fields, distinguished authors, researchers and scholars, with reputed international and national publications. The College, to keep the students and the teachers abreast of the latest developments in the academic fields, organizes seminars, workshops, conferences and lectures invites distinguished and eminent personalities on regular basis. The academic session 2015-16, specifically, has been a year of rich academic activities as SLC organized one International Conference and 03 National Conferences. Luminaries from the world of academics, industry and policy makers graced these conferences. The College also promotes blended learning in which teachers make maximum utilization of digital, visual and online aids to lecture in the class. SLC regularly organizes Virtual lectures with global experts through SKYPE software that give a unique opportunity to students to interact with academics from all over the world.
SLC conducts a myriad of activities through its Arts and Cultural societies. The Annual Cultural festival 'Anugoonj' gives a platform to the students to showcase their talents in dance, music, theatre, fine arts and more in a grand show. SLC has taken an interesting initiative, in tandem with the Govt's 'Skill India' program, by organizing an inter-college 'University Chef Competition' which has become a regular feature in the College calendar. We are the foremost College in the East Delhi Campus of the University of Delhi with outstanding Sports facilities for games like Hockey, Netball, Volleyball, Wrestling etc. SLC Inter-Varsity Invitational Hockey tournament has already become an integral part of the University calendar. The College promotes sports and games in the trans-Yamuna region of Delhi by providing opportunities and best coaching facilities to the young and talented players from low-income groups or underprivileged sections of the society. For the purpose, the College provides free and regular sports coaching to deserving and talented senior secondary students from neighbouring government schools. The aim is also to promote indigenous games among the youth who are in some ways unaware of the vast career possibilities to be explored in our national games and sports.
With the primary objective of providing quality education to all, SLC makes special efforts to enable and facilitate learning among the students belonging to the underprivileged sections. The College ensures that special classes – Remedial as well as Spoken English are held on continuous basis for the students who have difficulty in coping with the demands of the curriculum. We, at SLC, understand our responsibility towards conserving environment and thus take certain environment friendly initiatives such as conducting Green Audit of its campus. Contributing to the purpose of saving conventional resources of energy, the College has gone ahead with the installation of solar panels, which are fully functional now. The project is able to meet 42% of our peak demands and on non-productive days and holidays when the power demand is low, surplus power goes back to the Grid.
SLC is a premier educational institution offering vibrant inclusive environment for the development of excellence in academics, culture, sports and other student empowered activities. The whole SLC team including teachers, students and the non-teaching staff works towards promoting higher education in the country with a view to encourage a more 'learner-centric' approach. SLC strives to achieve these through regular curricular monitoring, academic innovations and continuous student involvement in all the activities.
With these words, I give my best to all the stakeholders of SLC and hope that our association would be a fruitful experience for all.
Dr.Rabi Narayan Kar