About Shri Ram College of Commerce
- Commerce education in India began in 1886 with the establishment of a commercial school in Chennai (erstwhile Madras).
- Shri Ram College of Commerce embarked on its voyage early in the year 1920 when on the day of Basant Panchmi, seven leading businessmen in Delhi established the Commercial Education Trust.
- The Trust set up its first school in the same year under the name 'The Commercial School' at Charkhewalan in the walled city of pre-independence Delhi.
- The school introduced a Post-Matriculation Diploma Programme in Commerce under the supervision of Mr. R.K. Kumar, who later became the first Principal of the Commercial College.
- The inauguration of the Commercial College paved the entry of commerce education in the University system of Delhi.
- The first batch of students was enrolled on the first floor of a 'Hall' opposite the St. James' Church at Kashmere Gate.
- The classes began with twelve students and four faculty members from a hired bungalow at 8, Darya Ganj, New Delhi.
- In 1926, the Commercial College got affiliated to the University of Delhi.
- Six years later, it was upgraded to the status of a Degree College and started awarding its graduates the B.A. (Pass) (Commerce Group) Degree of the University.
- The B.A. (Honours) (Commerce Group) Degree was introduced in 1943.
- The same year witnessed the introduction of M.A. (Economics) course, followed by the introduction of Master's degree in Commerce in 1948.
- In 1949, when B.Com (Honours) was instituted in the University of Delhi, the College also started offering the same.
- In 1951, on the occasion of its Silver Jubilee, the Commercial College decided to specialize in the field of commerce and economics and hence rechristened itself as Shri Ram College of Commerce (SRCC) in recognition of the contribution made by its founder Sir Shri Ram.
- Finally, the B.A. (Honours) Economics course was introduced later in 1958.
Awards & Rankings
- A+ GRADE IN THE FIRST CYCLE GRADING BY THE NAAC.
Shri Ram College of Commerce Vision and Mission
"SRCC-A College of Global Choice"
"To achieve and sustain excellence in teaching and research, and enriching local, national and international communities through our research, the skills of alumni, and the publishing of academic and educational materials"
SRCC, throughout its glorious history, has played a pivotal role in the field of Commerce and Economics education. It provides technology based integrated and inclusive education in a disciplined, dynamic, vibrant and hygienic environment. We try to nurture students with adequate emphasis on all the three aspects of integrated education e.g. physical, intellectual and value education. SRCC also enjoys the reputation of being a friend of the less privileged sections, in particular the Himalayan range students.
SRCC is equipped with state-of-the-art lecture rooms, computer laboratory, enriched library, ultra-modern sports complex including Basic Health Care Unit, Physiotherapy, Gymnasium and swimming pool.
Besides infrastructure, college is valued for its academic rigour, in particular the delivery of student centric and research oriented content.We promote continuous engagement between college and industry to produce graduates prized by the industry. An appreciation of cultural heritage, socio-economic diversity and promotion of cross-culture learning through international linkages is a part of the SRCC environment.
SRCC fraternity has successfully conducted themselves over the years for achieving excellence. The faculty members continue to discharge their duties with dedication, commitment, passion and courage. Non-faculty members of the SRCC fraternity with different but complementary services such as hostels, library, accounts, administration etc. are valued colleagues. In the years ahead, SRCC will continue to uphold the rich legacy of being number one college for Commerce education in India and strive to become one of the best global academic institutions by 2026, the year of its centenary celebration. A lot has been done and much more is desired to take it to higher trajectory of growth. For this we believe that all the stakeholders are equally significant but the most important stakeholder and the strength of the SRCC is the input of the system i.e. the STUDENTS, who pass through the various processes designed by the faculty and non-faculty members.
I convey my good wishes to all those who are aspiring to get admitted to SRCC.
With best wishes
Dr. R.P. Rustagi
Shri Ram College of Commerce has a history of setting standards, be it in academics, sports or performing arts.
The College has grown in stature over the years and remains the most sought after institution dedicated to Commerce and Economics education in the country.
The College integrates innovative ways of teaching and learning, extra-curricular activities and enhanced exposure through collaboration with foreign universities in the pursuit of its vision of building a strong and prosperous nation. This year too, we welcome the brightest to join the SRCC fraternity to carry forward the legacy of this institution.
With best wishes
Ajay S. Shriram
Chairman, Governing Body
Shri Ram College of Commerce News
Contact Details of Shri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi
Address:University of Delhi North Campus, Maurice Nagar Delhi - 110 007, India