A Christian Minority Higher Educational Institution, St. Xavier's was founded in 1860 by a Catholic Minority Religious body, the Society of Jesus, and was affiliated to Calcutta University in 1862. While preference is shown to the educational and cultural needs of the Minority community, admission is open to all irrespective of caste, creed and nationality!
A Multi-faculty College
St. Xavier's College offers UG and PG courses under five faculties : Arts, Science, Commerce, Business Administration, and Education. It also offers various professional certificate and diploma courses under Career Oriented Programmes and Computer Centre. St. Xavier's offers Ph.d in Physics, Biotechnology, Microbiology and Commerce.
The medium of instruction is English. However, candidates coming from vernacular medium schools are offered facilities to improve their skill in spoken English.
As a Jesuit higher educational institution, St Xavier's pursues a policy in admission, formation and training, in favour of the Christian minority and the poor i.e. socially and financially marginalized including SC / ST / OBC. Financial assistance in terms of scholarships, direct financial assistance, book bank facility etc are generously offered to deserving and talented students, irrespective of caste and creed.
Why join SXC
As one of the very old colleges established in the country, St. Xavier" s College, has a glorious history and rich heritage. It has immensely contributed in spreading quality higher education in the country. Over the years, Xavier " s has developed its own unique culture, developing a passion for quality and instilling the spirit of pursuing and delivering excellence.
Spirit of Education
The Jesuit tradition of education has a distinguished history spanning five centuries. It is an expression of an asp iration and inspiration. There are some characteristics that uphold the Jesuit standards of education and which undergird the experience of teaching and learning. St. Xavier" s, therefore, remains committed to ensure the enduring mission to propel the economic, social, political and cultural development of society through teaching, research, innovation advisory and community services .
SXC, as an Autonomous college, is permitted to formulate its own syllabus and establish its own evaluati on system The academic curriculum is structured to impart quality and contemporary knowledge to the students. A careful!) optimised education structure develops strength of character and professional quality of the students. The curriculum encourages students to combine personal integrity and ethics.
Setting demanding standards, Xavier's has reached its pinnacle with the best of faculty. Our institute boasts of its highly qualified members, many of whom, apart from teaching expertise and experience, have published research papers, wor national-level awards and have been invited to present papers at international
The job scenario today is facing the onslaught of ground breaking competition from all fields. Employment into good companies and organisations has become a daunting task. Therefore for the benefit of its students preparing to face the job market, the St. Xavier's College Placement Cell has risen to the occasion and has successfully aided in providing oppurtunity to its ongoing students.
The St. Xavier's College (Calcutta) Alumni Association (SXCCAA) was formed in the year 1985, the year when our Alma Mater celebrated its 125 years of dedicated service in the field of education to this City of Joy. We are perhaps the first alumini assosiation in kolkata to have granted 80G certification from the income tax authorities ,recorganising our charitable and philanthropic activities.
SXC Vision and Mission
To promote a society based on love, freedom, liberty, justice, equality and fraternity.
- To become a centre of excellence in Higher Education;
- To excel in all areas of teaching-learning, research, outreach and consultancy;
- To contribute to the creation of knowledge and to search for the meaning of life;
- To provide education that qualifies as international class for our students;
- To be a bridge between the rural-urban divide, taking the benefits of education to the poor and the marginalized, aiming at their empowerment;
- To ensure access to and equity in higher educational opportunity to all deserving and meritorious students with a preferential option for the poor and marginalized, irrespective of caste and creed;
- To inspire and challenge all segments of the college to raise the realm of good to great to greater, through continuous quality assessment;
- To offer subjects for competence building and motivate / animate a work force imbued with human values;
- To become a home of culture and to consciously promote communal harmony and cultural integration to create an atmosphere of dialogue in the campus;
- To promote academic exchange and academia-industry interfacing, taking advantage of the latest technology;
- To develop application-oriented courses, with the necessary inputs of values, with a view to produce all-round development of persons;
- To form young men and women of competence, commitment, conscience and compassion;
- To contribute to the well-being of the nation without counting the cost; in the spirit of NIHIL ULTRA (Nothing Beyond), the motto of St. Xavier's.
Awards & Rankings
- The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) recognized St. Xavier College as an "A" grade institution in 2003.
- St. Xavier’s is a name that needs no introduction and is one of the most reputed academic institutions in the country for the past century. Over the past years, college has established USA chapter of SXCCAA at Los Angeles.
- St. Xavier’s was also awarded a CGPA of 3.53 on a four-point scale for five years by NAAC PEER Team. Various dignitaries have presided over college’s convocation ceremonies such as President Pranab Mukherjee and Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee.
Board of Governors
|Rev. Fr. Dr. Dominic Savio, S.J.||Rector & Vice Principal, Department of Commerce (Morning) & BBA Chairperson, BOS|
|Prof. Amitava Roy||Dean, BBA Chairperson, BOS|
|Prof. Albert Cardinal Gomes||Principal|
|Dr. Mandira Mukherjee||B.Ed. Department Senior teacher of the College|
|Prof. Diptiman Saha||Mathematics Department Senior teacher of the College|
|Dr. Arup Mitra||Microbiology Department Senior teacher of the College|
|Dr. Madhusree Mukherjee||Vice Principal, B.Com (Evening) & M.Com|
|Prof. Swati Sarkar||Vice Principal, Department of Education Chairperson, BOS 17|
|Prof. Albert Cardinal Gomes||Controller of Examinations|
|Prof. Swapan Banerjee||Dean of Commerce (Morning)|
|Prof. Amitava Ghose||Dean of Commerce (Evening)|
|Dr. Tapati Dutta||Dean of Science|
|Dr. Argha Banerjee||Dean of Arts|
|Dr. Sanjib Kumar Basu||Dean, M.Com. Department|
|Dr. Panchali Sen||Dean of International Studies and Programme|
|Rev.Fr.Dr.Xavier Savarimuthu,S.J.||HOD - Environmental Studies|
|Prof. Subir Srimani||HOD - Accounting and Finance, B.Com(Morning)|
St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata has always strived to meet the challenges of enriching, encouraging and developing human capital for the betterment of society. It is no exaggeration to state that the all-round development offered at Xavier's has made our students valuable in the job market. Many companies have shown their preference f or Xaverians.The various departments at St. Xavier's College (Autonomous) enjoy a pre-eminent reputation for the excellence of its teaching in this dynamic discipline. It ranks amongst the most highly -rated undergraduate colleges of this country.
From a very humble beginning in 1860, the college is now catering to more than 7500 students. Our academic program is of the highest calibre because we believe in the transformative power of ideas. Our faculty and diverse student body from various social walks of life, all contribute towards the same purpose: to maintain the college " s excellent reputation in education and to form men and women for others.
Ever since St. Xavier's College, Kolkata became Autonomous seven years ago, its curriculum aims to extract the best
out of every individual who is a part of this esteemed institution. The Semester system, Continuous Internal
Assessments as well as the Credit system ensure that every Xaverian is competent enough to face challenges in life.
To facilitate the recruitment process for companies, the St. Xavier's College Placement Cell was formally inaugurated eight years ago. In 2014-15 more than 90 companies took assistance from the Placement Cell for Campus Recruitment. We value all the companies that come to recruit from our College and hope to establish a long lasting mutually beneficial association with all.
Assuring you of our best services and thanking you in anticipation.
Rev. Dr J. Felix Raj, SJ.