About St. Xavier's College
A Christian Minority Higher Educational Institution, St. Xavier's was founded in 1860 by a Catholic Minority Religious body, the Society of Jesus, and was affiliated to Calcutta University in 1862. While preference is shown to the educational and cultural needs of the Minority community, admission is open to all irrespective of caste, creed and nationality!
A Multi-faculty College
St. Xavier's College offers UG and PG courses under five faculties : Arts, Science, Commerce, Business Administration, and Education. It also offers various professional certificate and diploma courses under Career Oriented Programmes and Computer Centre. St. Xavier's offers Ph.d in Physics, Biotechnology, Microbiology and Commerce.
The medium of instruction is English. However, candidates coming from vernacular medium schools are offered facilities to improve their skill in spoken English.
As a Jesuit higher educational institution, St Xavier's pursues a policy in admission, formation and training, in favour of the Christian minority and the poor i.e. socially and financially marginalized including SC / ST / OBC. Financial assistance in terms of scholarships, direct financial assistance, book bank facility etc are generously offered to deserving and talented students, irrespective of caste and creed.
Awards & Rankings
- The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) recognized St. Xavier College as an "A" grade institution in 2003.
- St. Xavier’s is a name that needs no introduction and is one of the most reputed academic institutions in the country for the past century. Over the past years, college has established USA chapter of SXCCAA at Los Angeles.
- St. Xavier’s was also awarded a CGPA of 3.53 on a four-point scale for five years by NAAC PEER Team. Various dignitaries have presided over college’s convocation ceremonies such as President Pranab Mukherjee and Chief Minister Mamta Banerjee.
St. Xavier's College Vision and Mission
To promote a society based on love, freedom, liberty, justice, equality and fraternity.
- To become a centre of excellence in Higher Education;
- To excel in all areas of teaching-learning, research, outreach and consultancy;
- To contribute to the creation of knowledge and to search for the meaning of life;
- To provide education that qualifies as international class for our students;
- To be a bridge between the rural-urban divide, taking the benefits of education to the poor and the marginalized, aiming at their empowerment;
- To ensure access to and equity in higher educational opportunity to all deserving and meritorious students with a preferential option for the poor and marginalized, irrespective of caste and creed;
- To inspire and challenge all segments of the college to raise the realm of good to great to greater, through continuous quality assessment;
- To offer subjects for competence building and motivate / animate a work force imbued with human values;
- To become a home of culture and to consciously promote communal harmony and cultural integration to create an atmosphere of dialogue in the campus;
- To promote academic exchange and academia-industry interfacing, taking advantage of the latest technology;
- To develop application-oriented courses, with the necessary inputs of values, with a view to produce all-round development of persons;
- To form young men and women of competence, commitment, conscience and compassion;
- To contribute to the well-being of the nation without counting the cost; in the spirit of NIHIL ULTRA (Nothing Beyond), the motto of St. Xavier's.
St. Xavier's College (Autonomous), Kolkata has always strived to meet the challenges of enriching, encouraging and developing human capital for the betterment of society. It is no exaggeration to state that the all-round development offered at Xavier's has made our students valuable in the job market. Many companies have shown their preference f or Xaverians.The various departments at St. Xavier's College (Autonomous) enjoy a pre-eminent reputation for the excellence of its teaching in this dynamic discipline. It ranks amongst the most highly -rated undergraduate colleges of this country.
From a very humble beginning in 1860, the college is now catering to more than 7500 students. Our academic program is of the highest calibre because we believe in the transformative power of ideas. Our faculty and diverse student body from various social walks of life, all contribute towards the same purpose: to maintain the college " s excellent reputation in education and to form men and women for others.
Ever since St. Xavier's College, Kolkata became Autonomous seven years ago, its curriculum aims to extract the best
out of every individual who is a part of this esteemed institution. The Semester system, Continuous Internal
Assessments as well as the Credit system ensure that every Xaverian is competent enough to face challenges in life.
To facilitate the recruitment process for companies, the St. Xavier's College Placement Cell was formally inaugurated eight years ago. In 2014-15 more than 90 companies took assistance from the Placement Cell for Campus Recruitment. We value all the companies that come to recruit from our College and hope to establish a long lasting mutually beneficial association with all.
Assuring you of our best services and thanking you in anticipation.
Rev. Dr J. Felix Raj, SJ.
- St. Xavier's College is a 157 years old institution with a rich heritage and long tradition.
- As a Jesuit Higher Educational Institution, it aims to form men and women for others, with fundamental human and spiritual values.
- The tiny seed has grown into a mighty tree from 83 students in 1860 to 7,853 students in January 2016.
- The College functions in three shifts: morning, day and evening, offering UG and PG courses in Humanities, Science, Education, Commerce, and Business Administration.
- The College also offers various career-oriented certificate and diploma courses to college students as well as others.
- The College motto "Nihil Ultra" means Nothing Beyond, a motto, significant and suggestive of a noble ideal, of an unconquerable hope, that should urge the Xavierian always to aim high.
- The spirit of Xavier's is Majid greater service to a greater number of people for the greater glory of God (AMDG)...
St. Xavier's College News
Contact Details of St. Xavier's College, Kolkata
Address:30 Mother Teresa Sarani Kolkata - 700016
the most popular courses across India, at one place
Create a free Profile now.
the most popular exams across India, at one place