Get details on Fee, Cut off marks, admission process for session 2019.
- Under Hoadley's leadership, the school expanded rapidly and began offering trade certificate courses, diplomas in architecture, building, and contracting, as well as evening classes.
- War and the Depression saw a dip in student numbers. However, by 1943, there were 2500 students enrolled in courses taught at the Footscray Park and Footscray Nicholson campuses.
- The following decades saw gender and cultural shifts.
- Women first enrolled in day diploma courses in 1960, and changes to the federal government's immigration policy resulted in many more European and Asian students entering the school.
- In 1958, the school changed its name to the Footscray Technical College.
- Ten years later, it changed its name again, this time, to the Footscray Institute of Technology (FIT). The secondary school component was separated from the rest of the institute in 1972.
- By the mid-1970s, the expanded curriculum included degree courses and was well beyond the technical focus of the original Footscray Technical School.
- Further changes occurred in the 1980s with the technical and trade education section separating from FIT to form the Footscray and Newport Colleges of TAFE.
- In 1990, FIT merged with the Western Institute, which had been founded three years earlier to provide TAFE and higher education courses to the outlying suburbs in Melbourne's west.
- In 1990, it was established as a university by the Victorian State Parliament as Victoria University of Technology.
- A further amalgamation occurred in 1998, this time with the Western Melbourne Institute of TAFE.
- In 2005, the Victoria University of Technology Act of 1990 was amended to rename the university as Victoria University, reflecting the development of the university's teaching and research into wider domains.
- The institutions that combined to form VU over more than 80 years
Total Students 27695
Interested in this college?