Aug 08, 2016
Oct 24, 2016
Dec 04, 2016
Jan 09, 2017
CAT 2016 - Application Steps
How to Apply for CAT 2016
You can register for CAT from the official CAT website between August and September.
Before you Register:-
Kindly follow the instructions below before you start registration for CAT .
- Check your eligibility for CAT by referring to the Eligibility document on the website.
- Ensure you have a valid and unique email address and mobile number.
- “*” (asterisk) indicates a mandatory field. The boxes marked with this symbol must be filled in or you will not be allowed to submit your application for CAT 2016.
- Gather all the information you will need for filling the form beforehand, such as:
- Educational history
- Mark sheets (10th /12th/ Degree/Diploma)
- Work Experience
- Applicable Certificates to upload
- Scanned images of your passport size photo and signature. (The photo should not be more than six months old and should have a white background)
- List of the IIM programmes to which you are applying
Registration steps are as follows:
- On creating a profile, your User ID will be sent by email and the Password shall be sent to the registered mobile number.
- Overseas candidates receive both User ID & Password on the registered email address.
- Using these credentials, you can log in as an Existing User to fill out the Application form.
- You need not complete the application in a single session.
- You can login multiple times to complete.
- You cannot edit any details on the Application form after you have made the online payment.
- However, after you submit the application, there will be a limited time window during which you can modify very limited details like Percentage of Marks scored, Work Experience, Programmes Selected etc.
- You will not be able to modify any of the following: any details entered in the Personal Details section, any details entered in the Academics section except the percentage marks scored, Exam Centre City Preferences.
- You can only view and print after this. Details are available on the application submission page
Eligibility for CAT 2016
CAT 2016 Important Instructions
- The Admit Card would be submitted for verification at the time of the test. Candidates should carry at least one original and valid photo identification card such as College ID, Employer ID, Driving Licence, Passport, PAN card, Voter ID, Aadhar card, etc.
- Print the admit card on an A4 size paper using a laser printer. Admit card would be valid only if the candidate’s photograph and signature images are legibly printed.
- The admit card would be valid only for the test date and session as specified in the admit card.
- Candidates should report at 7:30 a.m. in the morning and at 1:00 p.m. for the afternoon session. Entry would be barred after 8:45 a.m. for the morning session and 2:15 for the afternoon session.
- Candidates are not allowed to carry mobile phones or any other electronic gadgets such as watches, calculators and stationary items such as pen, pencil, paper, etc would not be allowed inside the exam hall. Candidates would be allowed only with their admit cards.
CAT 2016 Relaxation Policy
- As per the Government of India requirements, 15% of the seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste (SC) and 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates. 27% of seats are reserved for Other Backward Classes candidates belonging to the “non - creamy” layer (NC - OBC).
- For all caste based reservations, the castes included in the Central Govt. list as on the last date of registration shall be used. For an updated central list of state - wise OBCs eligible for availing the benefit of reservation and information in respect of the creamy layer
- In case of NC - OBC category, the castes included in Central List of NC - OBC by the National Commission of Backward Classes, Government of India as on last day of registration will be used. Any subsequent changes will not be effective for CAT 2015 unless there is a change made by the Central Government or judiciary with retrospective effect.
As per the provision under section 39 of the PWD Act, 1995, 3% seats are reserved for Differently Abled (DA) candidates. The three categories of disability are:
- Low vision blindness
- Hearing impairment
- Loco motor disability/cerebral palsy
Note* - This provision is applicable if the candidate suffers from any of the listed disabilities to the extent of not less than 40%, as certified by a medical authority as prescribed and explained in the said Act.
- The candidates belonging to categories for which seats are reserved need to note and read the eligibility requirements carefully before applying. It should be noted that while it is the endeavour of IIMs that the candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD/Non-Creamy OBC categories join the Programme in proportions mandated by the law, they have to meet the minimum eligibility criteria and a certain minimum level of performance in the admission process.
Note for SC/ST, NC-OBC, and DA Candidates:-
If you belong to SC or ST categories, your caste/ tribe must be listed on the Government of India schedule. The caste certificate that you submit to IIM should be in the Government approved format and should clearly state:
- Name of your caste/tribe
- Whether you belong to Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe;
- District and the State or Union Territory of your ordinary residence
- The appropriate Government of India schedule under which your caste/tribe is approved by it as Scheduled Caste or Scheduled Tribe
- A copy of the SC/ST and /or PWD (DA) certificate(s) must be uploaded at the time of CAT Application registration. Failure to upload a copy of the caste/ class certificate will result in the rejection of your CAT registration
- The SC/ST and/or PWD (DA) certificate(s) must be shown and a photocopy should be submitted at the time of interviews. Moreover, the certificate(s) must be submitted at the time of joining programmes of any of the IIMs
- If you belong to the Non - Creamy Other Backward Classes (NC - OBC), you must produce the NC - OBC certificate duly signed by the competent authority and enclose its photocopy at the time of interviews. Moreover, the certificate must be submitted at the time of joining programmes of any of the IIMs. Failure to do so during the post Cpost-CATtion process will result in you not being considered under the reserved category.
CAT Application FAQ
1) What is online CAT? What is the difference between CBT & IBT?
COMMON ADMISSION TEST (CAT) is a computer-based test (CBT) and not an Internet-based test (IBT). Instead of reading the questions in a paper booklet and darkening the ovals on the answer-sheet, a candidate will read the questions on a computer and choose an answer by clicking on the correct option.
2) How is CAT administered?
The test cannot be taken from just about any computer. A candidate will have to take the test on a pre-assigned workstation. Students will not have a choice to choose their workstation.
3) What does a CBT test look like?
To familiarize yourself, you should have a look at the practice test which is available on the official CAT website. You can familiarize yourself with the functionality and navigation of the actual exam. The CAT Mock Test link shall be available in the month of October.
4) When and how do I register for CAT?
Online registration for CAT is between the period of Thursday, 9th August 2017 10:00 AM and Sunday, 21st September 11:59 PM. Additional instructions for the online registration and application process are available in the Registration Guide and Registration video published on the website.
5) Where do I pay my fees?
The CAT exam fee is payable at the time of online registration via a valid credit, debit card or online net banking facility.
6) Can I use my coaching institute’s or a friend’s email address when registering for CAT?
No, you need to have a valid and unique email address. All correspondence until CAT and during the selection stage will be communicated using this email address.
7) Can I appear for more than one slot for CAT ?
No. You cannot appear for more than one slot. It will be deemed as a fraudulent activity if one attempts to appear more than once for CAT. To ensure this, Admit Cards, photo IDs, candidate pictures and biometric information will be checked. Candidates, who attempt to take the test more than once, will be eliminated anytime during the selection process.
8) When will I get my Admit Card?
Admit card will be available for view and print from Thursday,18th October, 2017 till 26th November, 2017 onwards. You will have to log onto the CAT website with your registered User ID. You will be eligible for an Admit Card only upon submission of online application form. You will receive an automated email confirmation upon successful submission.
9) What details will be mentioned in the Admit Card?
The admit card will contain the following details: Name of the candidate Test date Test City & Centre address User ID / Registration Number PWD/DA status .
10) Will the Admit Card be sent to me as a hard copy or by mail?
No. The admit card will be only available on the CAT Website when you log on using your CAT User ID. Note: Admit Card is a mandatory document required to take the exam. You must bring a print out of your Admit Card to the exam center.
11) If I have made any mistake(s) while registering for CAT , can I make changes later to rectify?
You may select “Existing User Login” on CAT website to make changes to your personal details, such as address, educational information or exam city preferences. For security reasons, editing of candidate’s full name, date of birth, email id, mobile no, State, and Country will not be allowed. However, if you have genuinely made a mistake in entering your Date of Birth, State, etc., you will have to show evidence of the correct data at the time of examination/interview/admission else your candidature will be nullified.
Note: The ability to edit application profile will be available only until you have not submitted the Application Form. Once you have submitted and made the exam fee payment, you will NOT be allowed to make any more changes. You may only view and print thereafter.
12) I have made mistake(s) in entering Percentage of Marks/Category/Gender/Work Experience/etc., what should I do now?
If you have made a mistake in filling out details for those fields which will affect selection process, such as Percentage of Marks, Category, Gender, Work Experience, etc. then you are advised to re-register with a new email ID. Your CAT application will be considered for the latest registration and Admit Card issued for the same.
Note: You will not receive a refund or Admit Card for your earlier registration. Failure to re-register in such circumstances may lead to nullification of your candidature.
13) If I do not get my Admit Card, whom should I contact?
The Admit Card needs to be directly printed from the CAT website using your User ID and Password. It will be available for printout from 18th October 2017 until 26th November 2017 onwards. The admit card will not be mailed to your postal address. If you are unable to view your Admit Card post login, refer to the help desk details given below.
14) In case the website does not work and I am unable to complete my application, what should I do?
If the registration website is not accessible for any reason, please close your Internet browser and try again. Also, ensure you are using the correct version of the Internet browser recommended: Browser Versions Supported Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9 Mozilla Firefox 14 to 28 Google Chrome 20 to 33. The Registration/Application form is best viewed in Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers. You may also refer to the help desk details given below for instructions:
Toll- free: 1-800-266-0207
15) What screen appears once a candidate logs into the website post registration?
Post successful registration, you will use the system generated User ID and Password to log into the website. Upon logging in, you will first see the Registration Summary page and then click on Go to Application Form. This will direct you to the application form page.
16) What should I do if I have not received the password or have lost the SMS?
In the event of not receiving or lost the system generated password SMS, simply click on Forgot Password on the Existing User login page. You will be prompted to enter a Captcha string and post which, new password will be sent to you on your registered email address. Please note, regenerated passwords will not be sent as an SMS.
17) I am unable to view my Application Summary or Download Application Form tabs.
You will see the two tabs, Application Summary and Download Application Form, only if your application has been submitted with successful online payment of examination fees. Else, upon login, you will continue to see the five tabs of the Application Form.
List of CAT 2016 Centers (Expected)
|State||City||Mode of Exam|