Feb 15, 2016
Mar 09, 2016
Mar 13, 2016
Mar 31, 2016
UPES-MET Counselling FAQ
1) Where are UPES courses offered ?
The University courses are offered at Dehradun (Uttarakhand) .
2) How has the University been created? Does it belong to the Uttarakhand State Govt./MoPNG/Oil Companies ?
UPES has been created under an Act of Uttarakhand State Legislature notified vide Government of Uttarakhand Notification No. 830/Higher Education/2003-3(18)/2003 dated September 1, 2003. However, the Governor of Uttarakhand is the Visitor of the University and the Principal Secretary, Higher Education; Govt. of Uttarakhand is the “Representative” of the State Government on various Boards of the university.
3) Has UPES been approved by AICTE? Is there any such requirement ?
Under the AICTE Act and its subsequent Regulations, Universities established under a State or Central Act in accordance with Section 2(f) and 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, do not require AICTE approval. However, the Universities are only required to maintain AICTE norms and standards and require no prior approval of AICTE for starting Technical & Professional courses.
This has also been clarified by the Hon’ble Supreme Court’s judgment in the case of Bharathidasan University v/s AICTE wherein the Court had ruled that:
“it is not mandatory for a University, created under an Act, to seek & secure prior approval of the AICTE to start a department for imparting a course or program in technical education or a technical institution as an adjunct to the University itself to conduct technical courses of its choice & selection. The Bench also said that the definition of technical institution excludes from its purview a university, and when by definition a university is excluded from a technical institution, to interpret that such a clause or such an expression, wherever the expression technical institution occurs, will include a university will be reading into the Act what is not provided therein”.
4) Is the University receiving financial assistance from any other sources ?
UPES is a self funded University and does not receive any grant or financial assistance from the Uttarakhand State Government. The University is also not entitled to receive any financial assistance or grants from UGC or any other source funded by the Government of India.
5) Is the University receiving financial assistance from any other sources?
UPES is a self-funded University and does not receive any grant or financial assistance from the Uttarakhand State Government. The University is also not entitled to receive any financial assistance or grants from UGC or any other source funded by the Government of India.
6) Will the degree awarded by UPES carry emblem of UGC or any other body?
The degrees awarded by the University do not bear the emblem of either UGC or any other body.
7) What is UPES placement track record? Does a public sector company insist on AICTE approval ?
The University has excellent placement track. The campus placements since inception have ranged between 75% to 98.3%. For details, visit official website As explained under Q1, the Universities do not require AICTE approval for starting technical courses. Generally, the Industry goes by the reputation and credibility of UPES while making campus recruitment.
8) Placements are done only through campus ? Do these companies follow their normal recruitment process or have a specially designed format for UPES ?
Yes, placements are done through campus recruitment. The recruiting companies for campus placements follow their standard selection procedures.
9) Will I get a bank loan to pursue my education at UPES? Is UPES has any tie-up with nationalized / private bank?
For the convenience and benefit of the prospective students of UPES, a formal tie-up is in place with India leading nationalized bank, State Bank of India & Oriental Bank of Commerce. The student can cover all his/her expenses e.g. Course Fee, Hostel etc., while applying for loan.
10) Are there any RESERVATIONS/ QUOTA of seats for seeking admission at UPES ?
No Reservations/ quota exist for taking admissions to any course at UPES.