How to Prepare
ISI Admission Test(M.Tech) 2016 Question Paper Format
ISI Admission Test(M.Tech) 2016
Indian Statistical Institute a premier institution at Kolkata conducts ISI Admission Test(M.Tech-CS) for admission in Master of Technology in Computer Science. The exam is popularly known as M.Tech (CS). This program is offered only at Kolkata. ISI exams for the candidates who wish to take admission in several degree programs provided by the ISI institute. Every year Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) conducts these exams. Founded in 1931, ISI is one of the leading institutes of statistical research in India headquartered in Kolkata. It has 4 major campuses located in Delhi, Chennai, Banglore and Tezpur.
NOTE: A candidate with a valid GATE score above a threshold (to be decided by the Selection Committee) in his/her own subject will be directly called for interview. Final selection of such candidates would be based on their academic records and their performance in the interview. These candidates are required to apply, like all other candidates, in the prescribed application form.
ISI Admission Test(M.Tech) 2016 Conducting Body
Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), a unique institution devoted to the research, teaching and application of statistics, natural sciences and social sciences. Founded by Professor P.C. Mahalanobis in Kolkata on 17th December 1931, the institute gained the status of an Institution of National Importance by an act of the Indian Parliament in 1959. The Headquarters of ISI is located on the northern fringe of the metropolis of Kolkata. Additionally, there are four centres located in Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and Tezpur. Research in Statistics and related disciplines is the primary activity of the Institute. Teaching activities are undertaken mainly in Kolkata, Delhi and Bangalore. Offices of the Institute located in several other cities in India are primarily engaged in projects and consultancy in Statistical Quality Control and Operations Research.
ISI Admission Test(M.Tech) Contact Details
|Address||Indian Statistical Institute, 8th Mile, Mysore Road, R.V.College Post, Bangalore 560059, India|
|Phone no||080-28483002, 28483003,28483004, 28483006|
|Mode||Pen & Paper|
ISI Admission Test(M.Tech) FAQ
1) What is the ISI Admission Test?
Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) organizes an entrance exam know as ISI to screen candidates for admission in various degree programmes. ISI offers various UG, PG, PhD programme in the field of Statistics, Science & Technology. This institution has four campuses situated in Chennai, Tezpur, Delhi and Bangalore. Every year, the ISI entrance exam conducted in the month of May.
2) How should I apply for Admissions to ISI?
Every year the Institute advertises in national newspapers about the admissions to various courses. Similar information is also available on the website of ISI.
3) How good is the M.Tech in computer science program at ISI Kolkata?
- Computer Science is a subject where you learn more from your peers and the lab environment. ISI doesn't have a 24 hour lab and its a smaller community. At IIT, you will be able to find like minded peers specific to your area of interest just because the size of community is larger. If you are debating between ISI and IIT and have admits from both then I would suggest go for IIT. If you have admit from ISI and are thinking of waiting for a year and getting an admit from IIT next year ... do not do that ! ISI is still pretty good and its not worth wasting a year and doing this all over again.
- If you happen to be interested in Pattern Recognition or Computer Vision, or Machine Intelligence or Cryptography, working with researchers at ISI will give you a significant advantage.
- A lesser known option is getting MSc from Chennai Mathematical Institute. You will get much better education in theoretical subjects there, and the institute is pretty flexible in opportunities to tailor the non-core coursework to your needs.
- Again ,placement in Computer Science in any institute is purely a function of what you did with your time after the classes were over and the assignments were done.
4) Is the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) equivalent to the IIT’s in terms of research in mathematics and theoretical computer science?
In research in Mathematics, it probably outstrips the IITs in terms of quality research done per person, and has produced several of India's leading researchers in that field. I don't know about Computer Science, but ISI in general is much more research centric in attitude as well as priorities, and would certainly be second to none but the very old IITs(K, Kgp, D, M) even in that respect.
5) When will I get my Admit Card?
Admit card will be available for view and print in the first week of May (onwards). You will have to log onto the ISI website with your registered User ID. You will be eligible for an Admit Card only upon submission of online application form. You will receive an automated email confirmation upon successful submission from website.
6) I have completed the online application. But, I have not taken a print out. How can I get a print out now?
You can go to the applying online page again and enter the personal details AND the application number. You will be taken to the printout page again.
7) What is Eligibility of ISI Admission Test(M.Tech-CS)?
- A candidate seeking admission to this programme should possess a Master's degree in Mathematics/Statistics/Physics/Electronic Science/ Computer Science/Computer Applications/Information Technology or a BE/B Tech degree or any other qualification considered equivalent (such as AMIE or, GRADIETE or, DOEACC ‘B’ Level).
- A candidate with a valid GATE scores above a threshold (to bedecided by the Selection Committee) in his/her own subject would be directly called for interview. However, such candidates are required to apply in the prescribed application form like all other candidates .
8) Can I do M.Tech in computer science from ISI after B.Tech in mechanical engineering?
You can start your preparation for GATE exam in CS/IT stream. To get admission in M.tech from ISI you must have very good percentile in GATE.
9) Are diploma holders eligible to apply for the program?
No. Diploma holders are not eligible to apply for the program.
10) How should one prepare for Computer Sciene Engineering M.Tech entrance test in Indian Statistical Institute?
It consists of 30 MCQs, all from mathematics section. You need to prepare from class 11-12 mathematics part, i.e probability, calculus, combinatorics, logic, complex number and also basic engineering mathematics. You are advised to score as many as you can. On an average the cut off marks remain at 17-20. But do not take any chances. Attempt as many as you are confident about.
Consists of two parts. Part 1 is all mathematics, involving calculus, probability, graph theory. This part is compulsory and has 5 questions. So you need to solve at least two questions from this part. A good idea of mathematics is needed for this. Remember this is subjective. So you need to practice well for this part. Part 2 has many sub parts, namely Computer Science, Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Electronics, Mechanics. You need to solve any one of these parts. So select whatever you are comfortable in. I am from Computer Science background. So I went for the Computer Science part,which was relatively easy. Basic GATE Level questions from Data Structures, Networks, Compiler, Automata, DBMS, OS. If you have studied well and are clear with the concepts, it should be quite easy. Once again this is subjective, so have your basics clear.
11) I will be taking the entrance exam for ISI (Indian Statistical Institute) next year. How should I prepare?
The M.tech Mathematics/Statistics/Physics/Electronic Science/Computer Science/Computer Applications/Information Technology course at ISI tests your Mathematics ability at the 10+2 level. the questions asked are based on the basic syllabus, but the level of questions is definitely higher than what you must be in the habit of solving. So you must regularly practice questions at a higher level. An acquaintance of mine had done multiple books like RD Sharma and RS Aggarwal, but couldn't clear it. What you need is to regularly solve many many questions. Use the following book for questions-
It is a recommended book from the ISI website. Complete this book by properly understanding how to go about a question rather than to apply different methods to solve a single question. Remember, solving the question is not the motive, it is to efficiently solve the question. Get a good command on the subject. Also, solve the previous years' question papers available on the website to complete your preparation.
12) What is the duration of these M.Tech courses?
All courses are full time two years (Four semesters) program.
13) Any evening batch for this M.Tech courses are available?
No,there are no evening batch for this MTech courses.
14) I received GATE scorecard. Am I eligible to apply fo ISI M.Tech(CS)?
Having received GATE scorecard does not mean that you have qualified in GATE. Please see the GATE scorecard for details on qualification. Make sure that your GATE marks are above the cut-off marks of your category and GATE paper. You will not be considered for JMP admission if you do not meet the GATE qualifying marks criterion even though you are allowed to submit the ISI application.
15) For how long do the ISI(M.Tech-CS) Entrance Exam scores valid for admission?
ISI(M.Tech-CS) Entrance Exam scores are valid for one year only.
16) Can I get admissions into M Tech CS programme of Indian Statistical Institute being an ECE student?
- You will have a part in the second half which shall deal with electronics. Look at the sample question paper given at the website, to see the types and also go through the syllabus structure.
- For the interview, Also electronics has a very strong faculty at ISI. So be thoroughly prepared for questions from the area.
17) What are the general career choices of M.Tech CS students from Indian Statistical Institute?
- So, people from ISI either go into Grad School or take up jobs, CS people are no exceptions. As far as I know, typical recruiters include Microsoft India, GS, Google and many tech start up companies. Mostly, all ISI students can sit for placements in whichever company that comes- irrespective of programme.
- People have gone to the IIT's ,IMSC, NUS and to various other US Grad schools as well. Many also stay in ISI, do their PhD here and go on to the faculty position here itself.
18) What is the scope after doing Quality, Reliability and Operations Research [M. Tech.] from ISI Kolkata?
Package approx can be given to you by different people, but the pool of companies to which our batchmates juniors have joined/offered include but are not limited to: (info 2011 batch onwards, i am providing an overall idea)
1. Google (1 joining shortly)
2. Microsoft (offered-declined)
3. Yahoo (1 joined)
4. Amazon (1 joined)
5. Goldman Sachs (1 joined, 1 joining shortly)
6. Barkleys (2 joined)
7. Synopsis (1 joined)
8. Texas Instruments( offered- declined)
9. McKinsey & Company(1 joined)
etc.more than one have joined Idea, Wipro, TCS innovation labs... these were some of the top draws more companies have come.I hope some other students of the insti may take the pains to update anything else they want to add.
19) What is the Institute role in the placement of students?
- Students who have successfully completed the M. Tech (CS) programme are now well placed in government and semi-government departments, public and private sector undertakings, and industries/service organizations. Most of the students of the Institute get employment offers even before they complete the qualifying degree examinations.
- There is a Placement Committee in Kolkata, which arranges campus interviews by prospective employers.
20) Does the Institute provide Hostel Facility?
The Institute has hostels for male and female students in its premises in Kolkata. However, it may not be possible to accommodate all students in the hostels. Limited medical facilities are available free of cost at Kolkata, Delhi and Bangalore campuses. Students, selected for stay in the hostels, have to pay Rs. 1500.00 as hostel deposit, whereas hostel rent of Rs 200.00 is deducted from their monthly stipend.
21) What is the Counseling process after appearing for ISI(M.Tech-CS)?
- Candidates who are shortlisted must attend the counselling in person.
- They must submit their original documents for verification.
- Seat Allotment will be on the basis of their GATE scores/Marks in the ISI Admission Test and their choice of course.
- They must pay the admission fees after allotment.