Mar 01, 2016
May 29, 2016
Jun 05, 2016
How to Prepare for HPU-MAT 2016
HPCMAT is a knowledge-based test with MCQ type test pattern, and examine your general aptitude across varied parameters such as Mathematical Skills, Data Analysis & Sufficiency,Language Comprehension, Intelligence & Critical Reasoning, Indian & Global Environment etc. Hence, the preparation strategy must be carefully devised to score high and get calls from good management institutes across the country.
Since the aspect of negative marking of 25 percent exists, you need to be watchful and formulate a strategy to qualify the cut offs for each section. HPCMAT exam’s main objective to test speed and accuracy. Candidates need to attempt each question in less than 80 seconds. Selection is crucial here. Aspirants should focus on core quant topics and theory. Try and finish all the topics in the next two months. Thereafter, do not touch new topics or comfortable areas. The chief strategy should be to attempt familiar questions and leave non-familiar/non-comfortable questions. Candidates should be able to decide this within 10 seconds.
Speed will be also very critical in HPCMAT exam. Apart question learning to select a question, candidates should also to reject a question in less than 10 seconds.
Expect some calculation-heavy problems. These questions are meant to be left alone. Give it a try only if are not very close.
So focus on CAT/CMAT/MAT quant syllabus. Here are some core topics that you can expect:
Candidates can safely ignore Trigonometry & Statistics. This topic has a maximum of one to two questions, which are generally easy. Questions related to Data Sufficiency has not been observed so far.
Logical reasoning is comparatively easier than Quant and Data Interpretation in HPCMAT exam. We can expect a similar pattern in MAT exam 2016. Questions in LR can range from Decision Making to Verbal Logic.
Verbal ability section usually consists of grammar, reading comprehension. There’s no different strategy for VA section. Candidates need to focus on an overall strategy for MBA exams while preparing for verbal sections, because all the exams have similar syllabus.
While revising INDIAN AD GLOBAL ENVIRONMENT, candidates need to go through top news stories regularly. Apart from that, focus on General Awareness Questions and static topics.
Except for the section on General Awareness, all the other sections of HPCMAT get well covered with a good preparation for CAT/CMAT/MAT. However, it would be advisable for a student to work on his/her speed mathematics as some of the questions under Data Interpretation tend to be calculation intensive.
For preparation on Business Awareness, in addition to reading newspapers regularly, it would be advisable for a student to prepare from the following sources:
Also, in the various issues of MBA Education & Careers magazine, focus on features like Business GK, Current Issues & Events, and Current Event Chronicle (this feature captures important tid-bits).
In addition to the above, please run through the GK Model Papers feature titled, improve your GK.
Manorama & CSR Year Book - it helps in preparation for stock type questions
While preparing for this section, a student should focus on issues related to National & International Events, World Bodies, and Foreign Trade related information.
Finally, practicing past years' HPCMAT question papers as well as Mock Tests of various players are perhaps the best source for preparation. It provides opportunity to plug the loopholes in the preparation of MAT entrance exam and one should give maximum importance to these question papers.
HPU-MAT 2016 Important Instructions
1. Bring the following documents while reporting to the Test Centre:
- Admit Card.
- Your latest coloured passport size photograph should be pasted on the Admit Card at the place provided for.
- Photo identity as specified in the How to Register for SNAP ‘C’ point
- Blue/Black ballpoint pen.
2. Cell phones, calculators, watch calculators, alarm clocks, digital watches with built in calculators/ memory or any electronics gadgets will not be allowed in the examination hall.
3. Occupy the seat allotted to you by verifying the SEAT NUMBER pasted on the desk and indicated in your Admit Card.
4. The Test Invigilator will check your Admit Card and ID proof.
For Application process-
1. This facility would be available for remittance of fee by the students only through SBI branches who would charge Rs.30/- per transaction from the students.
2. The pay in slip for “on line remittance of fee” is available on the University web site hpuniv.nic.in and annexed hereto.
3. The students would deposit the fee in any branch of the SBI and the University copy of the pay in slip in original be attached with the form.
4. In addition, the student will also produce form to the SBI branch where he intend to deposit the fee and get affixed Bank stamp thereon indicating journal number, amount and date.
5. The classification structure of fee is annexed and students are advised to deposit the fee under the appropriate head Mere deposit of fee would not be sufficient to be eligible. Examination form must also reach before due date.
6. Students are advised to deposit the form complete in all respect. Incomplete form would be rejected outrightly.
1) What is HP-CMAT?
HP-CMAT (Himachal Pradesh Combined Management Aptitude Test) is a prerequisite for admission to MBA programs of all the educational institutes affiliated to HP University, Shimla and State Agriculture Universities (SAUs). It is conducted by Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla.
2) When are HP CMAT Results Out?
10 working days after the test.
3) How to obtain HP CMAT application?
The forms for HP CMAT will be available in IMS, HP University. The form can also be obtained by post from IMS by sending a Demand Draft along with the request for form. For this, the candidates only have to send a requisite letter as well as a DD in favor of the Registrar of the Institute along with a stamp of minimal value.
4) What is the validity of a HP CMAT score?
HPCMAT test score is valid for one year.
5) What is the application procedure for HP CMAT?
Application form for HPCMAT along with Handbook of Information can be obtained from the Institute on cash payment/demand draft at the following rates:-
- General Category: Subsidized & Non-subsidized: Rs 500 and by post Rs 550.
- SC/ST Category: Subsidized & Non-subsidized: Rs 250 and by post Rs 300.
6) What specializations are offered by the Department?
Specialization offered by the Department:
Agricultural Marketing Management
Agribusiness Financial Management
Farm Business Management
Human Resource Management
7) What is the last date submission of registration form?
The registration form can be submitted during the month of May.
8) What is Selection process for HP CMAT?
After successfully cleared Himachal Pradesh Management Aptitude Test (HPCMAT), the selected candidates have to appear in group discussion and personal interview, which are conducted by the institute. The final selection of the candidates to Master of Business Administration (MBA) program is decided through their performances in management aptitude test, group discussion, and personal interview.
9) Which are the test centers for HP CMAT?
HPCMAT Examination Centres: Shimla, Solan, Dharamshala, Hamirpur, Mandi, Una, Palampur, Chandigarh & Delhi.
10) Are degrees offered by the department recognized by some agency?
MBA and MBA (Agribusiness) programs are recognized by Indian Council for Agricultural Research (ICAR) and University Grants Commission (UGC). The program is also approved by the AICTE.
11) Do you have hostel facility for the students?
Yes, the University has hostel facility for both boys and girls.
12) What is the eligiblity criteria for HP CMAT?
The candidate should hold a bachelor's degree from a university, established by law in India with at least 50% marks (45% in the case of SC/ST candidate). The students who are appearing for their final bachelor degree examination in the respective year are allowed to appear in H.P. State Combined Management Aptitude Test subject to their satisfying the above said eligibility condition at the time of admission.
13) What are the job prospects of MBA students?
MBA degree provides with innumerable career opportunities in various fields. It is especially beneficial to get jobs in high-level positions such as managerial and executive level jobs.
14) What details will be mentioned in the Admit Card?
The admit card will contain the following details:
- Name of the candidate
- Test date
- Test City & Centre address
- User ID / Registration Number
- PWD/DA status
15) Do you have a Placement Cell?
Yes, the placements are conducted by the university placement cell. Efforts are made to arrange campus placement every year. In the recent past, some of the important organizations that visited the campus for recruitment are as under:
Monsanto, Indofil, Dabur, Pragya, Century Seeds, Pepsi Foods, Nagarjun, Dhanuka, Chambal Agrotech, National Banks, Syngenta, Adani, Bayer, ITC, Field Fresh, DuPont, ICICI, India Bulls, Shoghi Communications, Karvy, Triveni Engineering, Dunham's, KF Bioplants, HDFC, Technico Agri Sciences.
16) When will I get my Admit Card?
Admit card will be available for view and print in the third week of May (onwards). You will have to log onto the HP CMAT website with your registered User ID. You will be eligible for an Admit Card only upon submission of online application form. You will receive an automated email confirmation upon successful submission from the website.
17) Do you have sufficient faculty for the fields of specialization offered?
The Department is supported by an adequate faculty having excellence in different fields of specializations.
18) When is HP CMAT held?
HP CMAT is normally held in the month of April/May.
19) Why should we join MBA programme under this University of HP ?
MBA program of the university encourages active participation of students in planning and organizing events and activities that help give them practical insights on management and teamwork. The students are exposed to relevant conceptual knowledge by faculty all of whom are the doctorate.
20) What is the Exam pattern for HP CMAT?
The institute conducts the management aptitude test at various centers across the state. Final selection of the candidates in MBA program is based on the candidates’ performances in the entrance test, group discussion, and personal interview. The examination pattern of HP CMAT Exam is given in the following lines.
The question paper comprises of only objective type questions. The candidates have to choose the right answer from multiple options.
All the questions in the paper are divided into four sections:
Arithmetic Comprehension & Data Interpretation
Each section in the question paper comprises of 50 questions.
21) What is maximum Age Eligibility Criteria ?
Except for NRI/NRI Sponsored/Foreign National candidates/students, and serving/retired defense personnel, the maximum age limit for all P.G. courses is 26 (29 years in the case of ST/SC candidates) years on the 1st of July of the year of admission.
Vice-Chancellor has the power to permit age relaxation for reasons to be recorded in writing up to a maximum three months.
Age bar shall not apply in the case of in-service candidates/students and the State/Government of India nominees.
22) Are there any books recommended for the preparation of HP-CMAT examination?
Different books are available in the market on different themes of verbal reasoning, verbal ability and reading comprehension for the CAT and other MBA entrance examinations. Books on communication skills and data interpretation can also be consulted.
23) Who is to be contacted for queries related to admission?
Universiy Business School (formerly IMS),
Himachal Pradesh University,
Summer Hill, Shimla, PIN 171 005
Tel. No. 91-177- 2830938,2831653
Extn: 650, 651
24) Will there be any negative marking?
No, there is no negative marking.