Feb 09, 2016
Jul 15, 2016
Aug 01, 2016
Sep 11, 2016
How to Prepare for Indian Institute of Maritime Studies Entrance Exam(IIMSEE) 2016
Make a proper Time Table
It is very important that you make a time table and stick to it and you will have an exact idea of what you are required to study and the time required for it.
Concept clarity rather than rote learning
It is essential that you have a clear idea of the formulas and concepts rather than rote
learning of things for the papers. While you might require it for memorizing formulas it is
important that for other stuff you make sure you clear your basics and concepts before
It is very important make small notes or a comprehensive list of formulas on each covered
topic and chapter which will come in handy at the time of revision. This will require you to be
regular with your work but will surely make things easy at the time of revision.
Revision of Class XI and XII basic concepts
Make sure that you revise the basic concepts from the syllabus of these classes before
starting anything new as most of the engineering exams will be for admission to undergraduate
courses and so the syllabi from class XI and XII becomes the testing ground to check
It is not possible for you to know everything in your syllabus, at least not at the time of
preparation. Sooner or later you will run into a concept or so which will give you trouble and then
it is best you seek guidance from an instructor or a teacher. It is necessary that you clear your
doubts at regular intervals and don’t prolong things for long. Getting into a good coaching class
is nothing to be ashamed off and if anything a regular coaching class will enable you to avoid
roadblocks in your preparation.
Even though there may be a complete change in the exam pattern or the expected questions
altogether, it is important that you practice on the sample and previous years question papers
available for the engineering exam you’d be attempting. You will know the existing pattern and
have a fair idea of the type of questions to expect in the paper along with the time constraint.
The paper pattern, duration of the paper and the number of questions to be attempted in the
given amount of time is not something you will be able to pick up on the day of the examination.
A Mock Test tests a student’s abilities as it not only provides a similar feel of real exams but
also helps in building speed and confident to face the exam. Furthermore, they can improve
their performance to get an extra edge in actual exams. Try to build up an Engineering Entrance
Exam Test Prep MCQ Question Bank
Time management can be learnt through thorough practice and regular test taking. So it is
important that you practice it and practice it well.
Most the entrance examinations will have negative marking and everyone would suggest you
stay clear of questions are not sure about. But some experts are of the opinion that you answer
the questions in which you are confused between an option or two because there will also be a
chance of getting it right.
Indian Institute of Maritime Studies Entrance Exam(IIMSEE) 2016 Important Instructions
Indian Institute of Maritime Studies Entrance Exam(IIMSEE) FAQ
1) Is entrance examination compulsory? Is there any other way of admissions?
Yes, all candidates have to appear in the selection entrance compulsorily. We do not permit any other way of joining the pre sea courses.
2) Are you promising any coaching faculty for the entrance examinations?
Not for the writtens. However we call those qualified in writtens for guiding in interview.
3) My D.O.B. is different in my Passport and school college certificates. What should I do?
Correct the DOB in Passport.
4) Is IMU CET necessary for your College?
No. We conduct over own entrance examination.
5) When is the Entrance Examination held?
Entrance Examination is held during the full month of August. You will be allotted a date at any day of the month provided you are an eligible candidate.
6) Are then any IMS Recruiting Centres in rest of the Country?
IMS has no branches. Nobody is authorised to select candidates on our behalf.
7) How many times do you conduct admissions in one year?
Once per year.
8) My college has given the score in CAGR, what should I do?
You have to apply the formula and convert your score to percentage. The conversion formula must be printed on the reverse of the original mark sheet. If it is not printed, then it needs to be certified by the college Principal.
9) When will the Hall tickets be issued?
Hall tickets start getting issued from second week of July in order of applications received and dates available for examination at the examination centre of candidates’ choice. In all cases we make an effort to dispatch Hall tickets by email at least 7 days before the test date.
10) What are the Institute contact numbers for admissions?
0832-2520614 and 0832-2520986 strictly between 09:00 am to 17:00 pm on all working days .
11) Is there any Management Quota?
There is no Management Quota against additional fee payment. However, children of the soil of the employees of our major training centres can get nomination for selection. These candidates have to do well in the written papers to get called for the Interview like any other candidate.
12) Is there any reservation for SC/ST/Defence personnel?
There is no reservation of seats in IMS Goa.
13) I have applied for test, before completion of Degree/ Diploma, and if I fail in Degree / Diploma and cannot appear for the on line test, will my fees be refunded?
Yes, all your fees will be refunded provided you send an email to the institute stating that you have failed and send a scanned copy of your result sheet before generation of Admit Cards.
14) 1Can I join the course if I have spectacles?
- 6/6 or 6/12 in each eye or 6/18 in one eye and 6/9 in other eye without glasses WITH NO COLOUR BLINDNESS by Ishihara chart (you have to ask your ophthalmologist –eye specialist).
NOTE: PARTIAL COLOUR BLINDNESS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. If, you have a number which is higher, after selection you can plan for vision correction under advice of your Doctor.
15) What are requirements of medical fitness?
Body Mass Index < 25. After selection candidate has to undergo a medical examination as required by Company/Institute approved doctor.
16) My college is not approved by AICTE or my University recognised by UGC or is a deemed University under UGC Act – can I apply?
No,you are allowed.
17) Is Tattoo on body a disqualification?
Tattoo should not be visible when wearing uniform.
18) Can female candidates apply in IMS Goa?
At present we do not have hostel facilities for female candidates and hence we are not accepting applications from female candidates.
19) What is the percentage marks required in Degree/Diploma?
50% in final year.
20) What is the percentage marks required in English?
50% marks in Xth std or XII std or in Degree/Diploma.
21) Are you giving sample papers for the examination?
No,Institute not giving any sample papers for the examination.
22) Can I apply for the course before completion of the Degree/Diploma course?
Yes, you can apply for the course and undergo the on line test before completion of the course. However, you have to have a degree or a diploma before the course begins and submit all marks before October 3rd week.
23) Can I apply if I have not cleared any semesters in first attempt or have back papers in earlier semesters?
Yes, you can apply for the course and undergo the on line test before completion of the course. However, you have to have a degree or a diploma before the course begins. While filling the on line form, fill ‘RA’ i.e. Result Awaited for semesters for which marks are not known.
24) Is lateral entry Diploma Holder eligible?
Yes. Only ensure that you have 50% marks in English in 10th or 12th because you are exempted from first year of the Diploma course and English gets completed in first year itself.
25) Is any work experience required to join the Pre sea Course?
Work experience is not required.
26) Can a Diploma candidate with lateral entry in 2nd year of BE Mechanical apply?
Yes,you are allowed.
27) Which semesters’ marks are considered for Diploma Shipbuilding Engineering?
7th and 8th Semester.
28) Is Mechanical Production Degree considered equivalent to Mechanical Degree as is stated by the concerned University?
No.,you are not alloqwed.
29) Please explain the rule for English Marks?
D.G. Shipping requires a candidate to have 50% or more in English in ANY ONE of the following: Class X OR Class XII OR Diploma OR Degree. Hence, you need NOT have 50% and above in all of these.
30) What is the Class XII PCM marks preference for GME/DME admissions?
There is no specified percentage requirement. However, as it is a competitive selection, candidates having 60% and above may have an advantage during Interview. For DME, passing Class XII is not a requirement.
31) Is Degree in Automobile Engineering acceptable for GME course?
No,you are not allowed.
32) I have appeared in backlogs in my Degree/Diploma course and am expecting results in August or later – can I apply?
Yes, you can apply. Fill ‘RA’ in spaces for semester marks. All marks must be available for issuance of Admission letter, if selected, by October 2nd week.
33) For how long is the Indian Institute of Maritime Studies Entrance Exam(IIMSEE) score valid?
The Indian Institute of Maritime Studies Entrance Exam(IIMSEE) score is valid for just one year.
34) Does the Institute help with Educational Loan?
Yes. The Institute issue letter to Bank stating that you are selected to join the pre sea course.
35) What is the bank limit for Educational Loan?
Nationalised Banks give loan upto 7.5 lacs without guarantor. Parents have to be co-borrowers.
36) Should I be having a passport before joining IMS?
Yes, you should have a valid passport with ‘ECNR’ stamp on it. It is compulsory.
37) What is the duration of the course?
The Degree course is of 1 year duration. The diploma course is of 2 years duration.
38) When does the course begin?
Both the courses begin on 1st December every year.
39) What baggage/personal belongings should I bring when I join the course?
The course fee includes, boarding & lodging, uniforms, uniform shoes, helmets, boiler suits, safety shoes. Bedding is provided by us.
40) What is the course fee?
Current year course fee is displayed in the Admission Instructions.
41) Is there any relaxation of fees for SC and ST?
There is no reservation of fees for SC and ST.
42) Do you have a course for students who have completed Class XII?
No,there are not any course for students who have completed Class XII.
43) I am a local resident of Goa and so can come daily to college and go back. Is hostel stay compulsory for me?
Hostel stay is compulsory for all candidates as per D.G. Shipping Guidelines.
44) What are the job opportunities after this training?
Even though the shipping industry is passing through a stump, in world trade at the moment, the Institute has managed to find placements for all the passed out students. Some placements get delayed from time to time also.
45) What post will I get after completing the Pre sea Course?
You will be employed as “ Trainee Marine Engineer”.
46) How can a student get sponsored before or after the course?
A student may seek direct employment or sponsorship before joining the course but he must satisfy the written test and other selection criteria. You are advised to seek sponsorship from companies holding a Recruitment and Placement Services License (RPSL) issued by D. G. Shipping.
47) Is onboard training provided by your Institute? Or do I have to go elsewhere? After this would I be eligible for MEO Class IV Examinations?
Our pre sea courses are Academy based 12 months for GE and 24 months for DE in which Afloat training is included. After the training, all candidates have to obtain MEO Class IV A and then join ships as Trainee Marine Engineer Officer for 6-7 months. Then they can appear in MEO Class IV B examinations having 6 months of sea time/ article time and propelling time of 120 days. Further, a student may get placed in a company through the efforts of the Institute at the time of selection or during or after the course completion.
48) How can I get sponsorship prior to admission?
This is done by being selected by a company for placement as a TME and then applying to IMS for selection to the pre sea course. The company will issue a letter saying that they shall place you on board a ship owned/managed by them after you complete the course. They should also mention their Recruitment and Placement Services Licence Number.
49) When do I have to appear for MEO Class IV parts A & B?
After training completion, GME candidates are exempted from appearing in Class IV A whereas the DME have to appear. After that, all join ship for 6 months and then appear in Class IV B.
50) After doing GME, can I get an offshore job?
This specialised training is for working onboard ships and not for offshore industry.