Feb 02, 2016
Apr 11, 2016
Apr 17, 2016
May 08, 2016
How to Prepare for IIIT-Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Programs 2016
Make a proper Time Table
It is very important that you make a timetable and stick to it and you will have an exact idea of what you are required to study and the time required for it.
Concept clarity rather than rotes learning
It is essential that you have a clear idea of the formulas and concepts rather than rote learning of things for the papers. While you might require it for memorizing formulas it is important that for other stuff you make sure you clear your basics and concepts before moving on.
It is very important to make small notes or a comprehensive list of formulas on each covered topic and chapter which will come in handy at the time of revision. This will require you to be regular with your work but will surely make things easy at the time of revision.
Revision of Class XI and XII basic concepts
Make sure that you revise the basic concepts from the syllabus of these classes before starting anything new as most of the engineering exams will be for admission to undergraduate courses and so the syllabi from class XI and XII becomes the testing ground to check students.
It is not possible for you to know everything in your syllabus, at least not at the time of preparation. Sooner or later you will run into a concept or so which will give you trouble and then it is best you seek guidance from an instructor or a teacher. It is necessary that you clear your doubts at regular intervals and don’t prolong things for long. Getting into a good coaching class is nothing to be ashamed off and if anything a regular coaching class will enable you to avoid roadblocks in your preparation.
Even though there may be a complete change in the exam pattern or the expected questions altogether, it is important that you practice on the sample and previous years question papers available for the engineering exam you’d be attempting. You will know the existing pattern and have a fair idea of the type of questions to expect in the paper along with the time constraint.
The paper pattern, duration of the paper and the number of questions to be attempted in the given amount of time is not something you will be able to pick up on the day of the examination. A Mock Test tests a student’s abilities as it not only provides a similar feel of real exams but also helps in building speed and confident to face the exam. Furthermore, they can improve their performance to get an extra edge in actual exams. Try to build up an Engineering Entrance Exam Test Prep MCQ Question Bank
Time management can be learned through thorough practice and regular test taking. So it is important that you practice it and practice it well.
Most the entrance examinations will have negative marking and everyone would suggest you stay clear of questions are not sure about. But some experts are of the opinion that you answer the questions in which you are confused between an option or two because there will also be a chance of getting it right.
IIIT-Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Programs 2016 Important Instructions
IIIT-Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Programs FAQ
1) What is IIIT ?
International Institute of Information Technology , Hyderabad is an autonomous, self supporting, institution, started in 1998 , with seed support from the Government of AP. It received the Deemed University status in August 2001. A major goal of IIIT is to impart a uniquely broad and interdisciplinary IT Education of the highest academic quality.
2) How is Hyderabad climate?
Hyderabad has a pleasant salubrious climate. It is dry, so even when it is hot under the sun, it is pleasant under the shade. It has two hot months (April and May) and even in those months there is no loo (hot wind), and evenings become pleasant. As soon as the monsoons arrive (approximately 7th June) Hyderabad becomes like an "air conditioned" city and not hot and muggy like other cities. Winters are mild with temperature rarely going below 12 degrees Centigrade at night. (Hyderabad is at an attitude of 500 m so its climate is different from rest of the Andhra climate.)
3) What kind of city is Hyderabad? What does it have to offer?
Hyderabad is a large metropolis (5th largest city of India) with the old world charm. It is a favoured destination of software industry in India and a large cosmopolitan city with interesting eating places, shopping areas, theatres, visibly present film industries, etc. However, it retains a personal touch of a small town. People are helpful and laid back, and surprisingly autorickshaw drivers do not "take you for a ride" unncessarily. Culturally it is active with heritage walks, monuments that invite you, painting exhibitions, Hindustani and Carnatic music.
4) Where is IIIT-H located in Hyderabad? What facilities are available in its vicinity?
IIIT is located in Gachibowli with a largely self contained campus. Most of your needs will be satisfied with in the campus: hostel, mess, canteen, stationery shop, weekly film shows, etc. There is a nearby market within a kilo metre from campus where items of personal need are available. IIIT is about 15 km from centre of the city but well connected with buses and shared minitaxies (tempoes). Gachibowli is a fast developing area in which several new software companies are building their campuses including Infosys, Wipro, Microsoft and others. As a result, many new facilities are coming up in the area. However, you will be busy with academic activities, and will go out relatively infrequently.
5) Where can I get the application form?
There is no separate application form needed. All candidates have to register and apply through Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Programs. Admissions portal.More information about the programme can be obtained from the official website.
6) I have paid on-line through debit/credit card. How do I verify if payment was successful?
Please ask your bank if amount is deducted from your credit card / debit card account. If amount is deducted then payment was successful. If you do not click anywhere on the screen while the bank website is redirecting to IIIT website after successful on-line payment, then you will see confirmation message on screen and you would also receive email with payment successful message. In case you have not received an email but the amount is deducted from your account, please send an email to 'email@example.com' with transaction ID, Bank account no., Date/Time of trasaction, Transaction amount, your name, email address, etc. details. We will try to confirm within 7 working days whether we have received the payment.
7) Do I have to fill or buy IIIT Hyderabad form for admission?
The admission to IIIT is through institute portals. Kindly check the official website for the details of filling application form and paying the application fees.
8) Will I receive confirmation if I send form by post / courier?
If you have specified correct email address in application form for phase-I then you should receive email confirmation about registration. We also send postal confirmation to all applicants who have filled application phase-I form through post.
9) I have not received any confirmation email after completing phase I. What should I do?
Please check SPAM folder or bulk email folder for the confirmation email. Since such emails are generated automatically they very often go to SPAM or bulk mail folders. In case you can't find the email and the amount got deducted from your debit/credit card account then please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with transaction ID, Bank account no., Date/Time of trasaction, Transaction amount, your name, email address, etc. details and we will reply to you within 7 working days.
10) If I have paid application fee (or any other fee) more than once, what should I do? Is refund applicable on the full amount?
- In case you have paid application fee (or any other fee) more than once by mistake or for any other reason (you find the amount has been debited from you more than once), please immediately send a mail to email@example.com. The admissions office will cross-check the same and inform you of the refund possibility.
- As regards the refund amount, please note that the refund for the additional payments, if any, will be only for the fee amount that was charged by the Institute and will not include the Transaction and/or Bank charges paid as part of the online payment process.
11) I lost my application number. Whom should I contact?
If you have already sent your application fee, write to firstname.lastname@example.org giving your first and last names, date of birth, programmes you applied for, and your postal address. We will send you the application number from our records by email. If you have not sent your application fees, it may be easier to apply again using the portal. Use the new application number for all communications.
12) What is it in there for me in the Dual Degree Program?
Lot of fun in doing cutting edge research in a specific stream. Opportunities to do internships in best of places. Ability to join Research Exchange Program.
13) What is the eligiblity to get into Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Programs ?
- Student should be completing his/her 2nd year of B.E./B.Tech in CSE/IT by this July are eligible to apply for the CSD lateral entry programme.
- Student should be completing his/her 2nd year of B.E./B.Tech in ECE / ETE / EIE / EEE by this July are eligible to apply for the ECD lateral entry programme.
14) Which category of +2 can apply for CLD/EHD programme?
- Science with mathematics can apply
- Social sciences with mathematics (for example Economics with mathematics)
- Any arts (like dance, drama, music) with mathematics
In case there are large number of applicants short listed applicants will be called for written test and interview.
15) Is there a Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Program for ECE students?
Yes, there is. It has the same chracteristics as Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Program for ECE students in terms of requirements and objectives.
16) Is IIIT, Hyderabad participating in JEE (Main)?
International Institute of Information Technology,Hyderabad is not participating in CSAB counseling (JEE (Main)). IIIT, Hyderabad offers B.Tech. admissions through Institute portal using JEE(Main) Marks.
17) Are the diploma holders (lateral entry) eligible to get the admission direct in the 2nd year of the course? If yes what is the criteria.
Yes, criteria will be available on the University website in due course.
18) For how long is the IIIT-Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Entrance Examination score valid?
The IIIT-Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Entrance Examination score is valid for just one year.
19) When does one have to choose the field of specialisation for the Dual Degree Program?
At the end of second year.
20) What are the specializations offered at International Institute of Information Technology in Lateral Entry after Second Year B.Tech ?
- B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) and MS by Research in CSE (CSD).
- B.Tech in Electronics and Communication and Engineering (ECE) and MS by Research in ECE (ECD).
21) What are placement details for the year 2016?
- Below are program wise statistics in Placement 2016(Average Salary). B Tech (CSE) = Rs. 10.30 lac (Domestic); B Tech (ECE) = Rs. 6.52 lac Offshore Companies = $ 150,000
- MS by Research (CSE) = Rs. 9.32 lac MS by Research (ECE) = Rs. 9.00 lac
- M Tech (CSE) = Rs. 9.54 lac M Tech (CSIS) = Rs. 7.72 lac M Tech (VLSI) = Rs. 7.58 lac M Tech (Bioinformatics) = Rs. 3.66 lac M Tech (CASE) = Rs. 3.00 lac For more details check official website.
22) I have been allotted a seat in earlier rounds and have accepted it, can I opt for another program?
Yes, you can. If you are given another program previous seat allotment is canceled and is made available for other candidates. If you are not allotted any of your choices, the existing allotment remains. So, unless you are really sure that you want another program do not opt for it, as you will not be able change it back to your existing allotment.
23) Is there any internal sliding possible once we join the institute?
- There will be no internal sliding after you join the institute. For four year/five year B.Tech/Dual degree /Lateral Entry to Dual Degree Programs programs in CSE and ECE, a branch change is possible according to institute rules after first year.
- For other five year dual degree programs in Computational Natural Sciences, Computational Linguistics, Exact Humanities, and Building Science & Engineering as they are special programs, no branch change is allowed. So you should opt for these programs only if you are really interested in them. Your opting for programs without a serious intent to join deprives another candidate of the seat, as there would be no more rounds.
24) Is there any SC/ST/BC, women, physically challenged etc. quota for IIIT admissions?
No, there is no SC/ST/BC, women, physically challenged etc. quota or reservation of any kind for IIIT admissions. All admissions are strictly merit based and in open category.
25) I have received admission in IITs. Why should I consider joining IIIT Hyderabad?
IIIT Hyderabad UG programme is unique in the country.
- It provides research opportunities, even to a UG student, not available anywhere else in the country. Many UG students are able to publish papers in international conferences. Some even visit abroad for working with partner research groups while still a UG student.
- It has a modern and flexible curriculum which allows a student to tailor it to his/her requirements.
- Infrastructure is extremely good in academics as well as in hostels and student life.
- So, if you want to achieve your dreams, of creating new technologies or do cutting edge research, come to IIIT Hyderabad.
26) IIIT fee is higher than the fee at IITs or NITs. Why?
IIIT offers high quality infra-structure. It has modern well-kept living facilities. It also has one of the highest bandwidth availability per student. It has a highly qualified research oriented faculty with research centres. All this costs money. Most importantly IIIT does not run on annual Government grants. This allows complete autonomy and high academic standards, but does result in a slightly higher fee. However, financial assistance is available.
27) I am not able to pay the fee. Is any financial assistance available?
- A number of sources are there for providing assistance.
- Many banks sanction educational loans with easy repayment terms after you graduate. Loan which might seem large at this point in time is actually very small when you start earning. Placement record shows that you can repay the loan very easily.
- There are merit-cum-means scholarships offered by the State Governments such as Pratibha Scholarship by the AP Government. These are available to IIIT students who come from AP and whose parent's annual income is within one lakh. Check for similar scholarships with your own state Government or other similar sources.