Feb 01, 2017
Feb 22, 2017
Feb 26, 2017
Mar 06, 2017
How to Prepare for UPES-MET 2017
- Aspirants should focus on core quant topics and theory. Try and finish all the topics in the next two months. Thereafter, do not touch new topics or comfortable areas. The chief strategy should be to attempt familiar questions and leave non-familiar/non-comfortable questions. Candidates should be able to decide this within 10 seconds.
- Speed will be also very critical in the exam. Apart question learning to select a question, candidates should also to reject a question in less than 10 seconds.
- Expect some calculation-heavy problems. These questions are meant to be left alone. Give them a try only if they are not very close.
- Logical reasoning is comparatively more difficult to solve than Quant and Data Interpretation in the exam. We can expect a similar pattern in the exam 2016. Questions in LR can range from Decision Making to Verbal Logic.
- Verbal ability section usually consists of grammar, reading comprehension. There’s no different strategy for VA section. Focus on basic grammar rules that you learnt during your school days. Candidates need to focus on an overall strategy while preparing for verbal sections, because most competitive exams have similar syllabus. Do lot of reading from various sources. Candidates need to focus on an overall strategy for MBA exams while preparing for verbal sections, because all the exams have similar syllabus.
- While revising GENERAL AWARENESS, candidates need to go through top news stories regularly. Apart from that, focus on static topics.
- Except for the section on General Awareness, all the other sections of the exam get well covered with a good preparation for UPES -MET. However, it would be advisable for a student to work on his/her speed the exam. Some of the questions under Data Interpretation tend to be calculation intensive.
- For preparation on General Awareness, in addition to reading newspapers regularly, it would be advisable for a student to prepare from the following sources:
- Also, in the various issues of MBA Education & Careers magazine, focus on features like Business GK, Current Issues & Events, and Current Event Chronicle (this feature captures important tidbits).
- In addition to the above, please run through the GK Model Papers feature titled, improve your GK.
- Manorama & CSR Year Book - it helps in preparation for stock type questions In Manorama Year Book and CSR, please focus on the following chapters.
- Who is who
- What is what
- Science scan
- Human body
- Landmarks of history
- The Universe
- While preparing for this section, a student should focus on issues related to National & International Events, World Bodies, and Foreign Trade related information.
Finally, practicing past years' question papers as well as Mock Tests of various players are perhaps the best source for preparation. It provides opportunity to plug the loopholes in the preparation of entrance exam and one should give maximum importance to these question papers.
UPES-MET 2017 Important Instructions
- On the basis of information in the Application form, admit card of provisionally eligible candidates will be uploaded on the University website .
- Candidates are required to download the admit card accordingly.
- The duly completed downloaded admit card with photograph affixed (duly attested) in the space provided will have to be produced at the allotted test center.
- Candidates without the admit card or card without the photograph will NOT be permitted to take the test.
1) How was UPES sponsored ?
UPES is sponsored by Hydrocarbons Education & Research Society (HERS) which is registered under the “Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860” (Registration No. S-41894 of 2002). HERS is a not-for-profit society promoted by a group of prominent professionals from the Industry.
2) UPES-MET is conducted by whom ?
University of Petroleum and Energy Studies (UPES), Dehradun conducts UPES-MET as an entrance exam for taking admission to two year Master of Business Administration (MBA) program in Petroleum & Energy Studies
3) How do we apply for the UPES-MET ?
- You have to apply online to appear for the UPES-MET.
- You can also purchase Prospectus & Application form by Demand Draft / Cash.
- Candidates can collect UPES Prospectus & Application form by sending a demand draft in favour of "UPES Fee Account", payable at New Delhi / Dehradun alongwith request letter or by Cash payment from admission counters at Ahmedabad / Chandigarh/ Delhi / Dehradun / Hyderabad / Kolkata / Mumbai.
4) What is the fee to appear for the UPES-MET ?
The fee to appear for the UPES-MET is Rs. 1750/- by Cash & Rs.1850 by Demand Draft.
5) How do we make payment of the fee ?
- Online form submission facility is applicable only to those candidates who wish to apply and pay online by Credit Card/ Debit Card/ Net Banking
- Demand Draft (DD) – For purchasing the UPES Prospectus and Application Form, the candidates can draw a DD of Rs. 1850/- in favour of “UPES Fee Account” payable at New Delhi.
- Cash – The candidates can also purchase the Prospectus and Application Form for UPES MET from the admission counters at Ahmedabad, Chandigarh, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Dehradun, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai. To purchase, the candidates are required to make a cash payment of Rs. 1750/- .
6) Where do we send the demand draft ?
The candidates must send the DD to the following address:
University of Petroleum & Energy Studies
Enrollment Office, 210, 2nd Floor
Okhla Industrial Estate, Phase III
New Delhi 110020.
7) How do we know whether our application has been received and accepted ?
An email will be sent to you once we receive the payment to appear for the UPES-MET.
8) When is it conducted ?
It is usually conducted in the month of Feburary. This year, the entrance test is being conducted on last week of febuary.
9) Where will the exam centres be formed for the exam ?
The test will be conducted at 29 cities.
10) When will I get my Admit Card ?
Admit card will be available for view and print in the First week of March(onwards). You will have to log onto the JGU website with your registered User ID. You will be eligible for an Admit Card only upon submission of online application form. You will receive an automated email confirmation upon successful submission from website .
11) What details will be mentioned in the Admit Card ?
The admit card will contain the following details: Name of the candidate Test date Test City & Centre address User ID / Registration Number PWD/DA status.
12) Do you have spot registration on the day of exam ?
No, you cannot make a spot registration on the day of exam.
13) Could I Submission of Application Form through On line ?
Yes ,you can Submitted the Application Form through On line.
14) If I miss the test, can I take it up on another day without paying for the test ?
No, you are not allowed.
15) If I miss the test on the scheduled date, will I be eligible for a refund?
No. you are not allowed.
16) What is the mode of conduction of UPES- MET Exam ?
offline or Pen and paper based test.
17) What will be the medium of Online UPES- MET examination ?
Medium of examination is English.
18) What are the various Eligibility Norms of Non Examination Pathway UPES-MET Programme ?
ADMISSION TO UPES MBA PROGRAMS ARE OPEN THROUGH TWO PATHWAYS:
1.Non Examination Pathway – MBA admissions through National Level Tests - CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT/NMAT.
2.Examination Pathway – MBA admissions through UPESMET.
- SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES THROUGH EITHER OF THE 2 PATHWAYS HAVE TO ATTEND GROUP DISCUSSION & INTERVIEW PROCESS FOR ADMISSION INTO A UPES MBA PROGRAM.
1. NON EXAMINATION PATHWAY – MBA ADMISSIONS THROUGH NATIONAL LEVEL TESTS - CAT/MAT/ XAT/CMAT/NMAT.
2. EXAMINATION PATHWAY – ADMISSIONS THROUGH UPES MANAGEMENT ENTRANCE TEST (UPESMET)
- Candidates whose CAT/ XAT/ MAT/CMAT scores do not meet above-mentioned criteria, but they still have minimum 50% marks in Class 10th and Class 12th and in graduation, can seek admission to UPES MBA programs by taking the UPES Management Entrance Test (UPES MET).
19) What is maximum Age Eligibility Criteria ?
There is no upper or lower age limit.
20) Will there be any negative marking ?
Yes, 0.25 mark for every wrong answer.
21) Will I get sheets/papers for rough work/calculations etc for UPES-MET ?
Yes, but no electronic devices are allowed in examination hall/room.
22) Is there any special arrangement for Persons with Disability for UPES-MET ?
Yes. Need based assistance shall be provided to the PWD candidates.
23) When are UPES-MET Results Out ?
Results will be available on the website last week of March.
24) When will I get the Score card ?
The candidates will receive the score card last week of March..
25) For how long is the UPES-MET score valid ?
TheUPES-MET score is valid for just one year.
26) Where are UPES courses offered ?
The University courses are offered at Dehradun (Uttarakhand) .
27) How has the University been created? Does it belong to the Uttarakhand State Govt./MoPNG/Oil Companies ?
UPES has been created under an Act of Uttarakhand State Legislature notified vide Government of Uttarakhand Notification No. 830/Higher Education/2003-3(18)/2003 dated September 1, 2003. However, the Governor of Uttarakhand is the Visitor of the University and the Principal Secretary, Higher Education; Govt. of Uttarakhand is the “Representative” of the State Government on various Boards of the university.
28) Has UPES been approved by AICTE? Is there any such requirement ?
Under the AICTE Act and its subsequent Regulations, Universities established under a State or Central Act in accordance with Section 2(f) and 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, do not require AICTE approval. However, the Universities are only required to maintain AICTE norms and standards and require no prior approval of AICTE for starting Technical & Professional courses.
This has also been clarified by the Hon’ble Supreme Court’s judgment in the case of Bharathidasan University v/s AICTE wherein the Court had ruled that:
“it is not mandatory for a University, created under an Act, to seek & secure prior approval of the AICTE to start a department for imparting a course or program in technical education or a technical institution as an adjunct to the University itself to conduct technical courses of its choice & selection. The Bench also said that the definition of technical institution excludes from its purview a university, and when by definition a university is excluded from a technical institution, to interpret that such a clause or such an expression, wherever the expression technical institution occurs, will include a university will be reading into the Act what is not provided therein”.
29) Is the University receiving financial assistance from any other sources ?
UPES is a self funded University and does not receive any grant or financial assistance from the Uttarakhand State Government. The University is also not entitled to receive any financial assistance or grants from UGC or any other source funded by the Government of India.
30) Is the University receiving financial assistance from any other sources?
UPES is a self-funded University and does not receive any grant or financial assistance from the Uttarakhand State Government. The University is also not entitled to receive any financial assistance or grants from UGC or any other source funded by the Government of India.
31) Will the degree awarded by UPES carry emblem of UGC or any other body?
The degrees awarded by the University do not bear the emblem of either UGC or any other body.
32) What is UPES placement track record? Does a public sector company insist on AICTE approval ?
The University has excellent placement track. The campus placements since inception have ranged between 75% to 98.3%. For details, visit official website As explained under Q1, the Universities do not require AICTE approval for starting technical courses. Generally, the Industry goes by the reputation and credibility of UPES while making campus recruitment.
33) Placements are done only through campus ? Do these companies follow their normal recruitment process or have a specially designed format for UPES ?
Yes, placements are done through campus recruitment. The recruiting companies for campus placements follow their standard selection procedures.
34) Will I get a bank loan to pursue my education at UPES? Is UPES has any tie-up with nationalized / private bank?
For the convenience and benefit of the prospective students of UPES, a formal tie-up is in place with India leading nationalized bank, State Bank of India & Oriental Bank of Commerce. The student can cover all his/her expenses e.g. Course Fee, Hostel etc., while applying for loan.
35) Are there any RESERVATIONS/ QUOTA of seats for seeking admission at UPES ?
No Reservations/ quota exist for taking admissions to any course at UPES.