How to Prepare
UPES-EAT 2016 Question Paper Format
UPES-EAT 2016 News and Updates
University of Technology and Management (UTM), Shillong has announced admission to engineering and management courses. Students who are interested can now apply both in offline and online mode. The students who are eligible will be offered following courses under B.Tech programme in UTM, ...Read more
University of Petroleum & Energy Studies Dehradun have announced the Engineering entrance exam, University of Petroleum & Energy Studies Engineering aptitude Test, popularly known as UPES-EAT for the academic year. UPES-EAT is a University level entrance exam conducted by the University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, Dehradun for various Engineering courses.
Note: Upto 20% seats shall be filled through Board Merit / JEE Main Merit category. In case of seats following vacant in this category; UPES has the right to fill these through UPES Examination. University also reserves the right to conduct further physical (paper pencil test) / online test for admission.
UPES-EAT 2016 Conducting Body
The University of Petroleum & Energy Studies (UPES) is established through an Act No. 15 of 2003 of the State Legislature of Uttarakhand. The University is recognized by University Grants Commission (UGC) under Section 2 (f) of the UGC Act, 1956 vide notification no. F-9-20/2003 (CPP-1) dated 4 th June 2004. It is the first University in the country dedicated to petroleum and energy studies for creating world-class professionals in the Energy/Infrastructure and Transportation sectors to fulfill the growing demand of specialized personnel in the industry. It offers Post Graduate and Undergraduate programmes in all areas pertaining to the Oil and Gas, Power, Transportation, Infrastructure and allied sectors such as Computer Science, Mechanical, Civil, Electronics, Instrumentation & Control, Robotics Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Nuclear Science & Technology with highly focused cutting edge programmes. UPES has also launched a number of innovative programmes under its School of Design and School of Planning and Architecture.
UPES-EAT Contact Details
|Address||UPES Campus, P.O. Bidholi, Via Prem Nagar, Dehradun - 248 007 (Uttarakhand)|
|Mode||Both Online and Pen & Paper|
1) What is the examination for? Who conducts it?
UPESEAT is an entrance examination for engineering courses in University of Petroleum and Energy Studies in Dehradun, Uttarakhand India. UPES is a private university and is well renowned for its research in energy and power sector.
2) What is/are the college/colleges covered under this examination?
UPES is a deemed university and conducts its own examinations, UPESEAT covers admissions in all departments of engineering in UPES, Dehradun.
3) How was UPES sponsored ?
UPES is sponsored by Hydrocarbons Education & Research Society (HERS) which is registered under the “Societies Registration Act XXI of 1860” (Registration No. S-41894 of 2002). HERS is a not-for-profit society promoted by a group of prominent professionals from the Industry.
4) How has the University been created? Does it belong to the Uttarakhand State Govt./MoPNG/Oil Companies ?
UPES has been created under an Act of Uttarakhand State Legislature notified vide Government of Uttarakhand Notification No. 830/Higher Education/2003-3(18)/2003 dated September 1, 2003. However, the Governor of Uttarakhand is the Visitor of the University and the Principal Secretary, Higher Education; Govt. of Uttarakhand is the “Representative” of the State Government on various Boards of the university.
5) Where are the forms available?
Forms are available online and at Enrollment offices in Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Kolkata, Dehradun campus and booksellers.
6) How many exam centers are there for UPESEAT?
All over India, there are 41 exam centers.
7) Is application fee refundable?
Application form fee is not refundable.
8) Can we shift the pathway?
No. In some special case, it can be considered.
9) From when will the UPESEAT admit cards be available for download?
Admit cards will be available for download from Second week of May onwards from UPES website.
10) What is the eligibility for applying for UPES B.Tech programs?
Exam –Minimum 60% in 10th, 12th and 12th PCM
Non-Exam – Board Merit –Minimum 80% in 10th, 12th and 12th PCM
Non – Exam – JEE main merit - Minimum 60% in 10th, 12th and 12th PCM along with valid score of JEE mains.
11) What is the syllabus of UPESEAT?
The syllabus would be same as that of JEE mains.
12) What is the pattern of UPESEAT?
- 50 questions each for PCM
- 30 questions – English comprehension
- 20 question in general awareness.
13) Are there any other means to take admission in B.Tech like management quota/capitalization fee/reference/political influence?
No,there not any other means to take admission in B.Tech like management quota/capitalization fee/reference/political influence.
14) Where are the previous year question papers available?
Previous years question papers are available without answer key from April 2016 onwards under ‘Admission Alert’- B.Tech section at UPES website .
15) From when would 2017 session commence from?
Classes would commence from July 2017.
16) I have studied Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, in +2. Which branches in B.Tech. am I eligible to seek admission to, if I qualify in UPES EAT?
You are eligible for all the B.Tech. Degree programmes.
17) I have secured 60% over all aggregate marks in the qualifying examination, but I have not secured 60% aggregate in PCM / PCB, am I eligible for UPES EAT?
Sorry, you are not eligible.
18) What was last year’s JEE mains merit?
115.For this year, to be announced after the declaration of JEE Mains result.
19) What was the Board merit cut off of last year?
10th & 12th class – 80% or equivalent
PCM – 85%.
20) What is the generalised selection procedure?
- As mentioned before, 80% of the students enrolled are through UPESEAT.
- 20% of the registration is done by students applying through JEE Mains and Boards eligibility.
- The last date of filling application form is approximately by mid May and about a week after than Admit cards are provided online for the eligible candidates.
- The exam is held generally by end May every year.
21) Placement percentage of B.Tech for the year 2017?
90%,Placement percentage of B.Tech for the year 2017.
22) Where are UPES courses offered?
The University courses are offered at Dehradun (Uttarakhand).
23) What is the percentage of seats allocation?
Exam – 80%
Non-exam – 20% (10% for board merit & 10% for JEE main merit).
24) What are the exam Counseling dates?
Tentatively 2nd or 3rd week of June.
25) What are the courses offered in UPES?
As the name of the university suggests, its elite branches are Oil & Gas and Power Engineering. University of Petroleum and Energy science provides a variety of courses, unlike any other college in India, focuses on highly specified branches of engineering:
- Oil and Gas:-
- B.Tech. Applied Petroleum Engineering with Specialization in Upstream
- B.Tech. Applied Petroleum Engineering with Specialization in Upstream
- B.Tech. Applied Petroleum Engineering with Specialization in Gas
- B.Tech. Chemical Engineering with Specialization in Refining & Petrochemicals
- B.Tech. Geo Science Engineering
- B.Tech. Geo Informatics Engineering
- B.Tech. Mining Engineering
- B.Tech. Power System Engineering
- B.Tech. Instrumentation & Control
- B.Tech. Energy Technology
- B.Tech. Civil Engineering with specialization in Infrastructure Development
- B.Tech. Aerospace Engineering
- B.Tech. Aerospace Engineering with Specialization in Avionics
- B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering
- B.Tech. Automotive Design Engineering
- B.Tech. Production & Industrial Engineering
- High Technology:-
- B.Tech. Electronics Engineering
- B.Tech. Mechatronics Engineering
- B.Tech. Electrical Engineering
- B.Tech. Material Science Engineering with Specialization in Nano Technology.
26) Does UPES provide the facility of Girls hostel?
Yes at Bidholi campus. Limited seats available.
27) Is Token fee/fee submitted at the time of counseling refundable or not?
Yes, with a deduction of 1000 rupees (as per UGC norms).
28) Will I get a bank loan to pursue my education at UPES? Is UPES has any tie-up with nationalized / private bank?
For the convenience and benefit of the prospective students of UPES, a formal tie-up is in place with India leading nationalized bank, State Bank of India & Oriental Bank of Commerce. The student can cover all his/her expenses e.g. Course Fee, Hostel etc., while applying for loan.
29) Will the degree awarded by UPES carry emblem of UGC or any other body?
The degrees awarded by the University do not bear the emblem of either UGC or any other body.
30) Has UPES been approved by AICTE? Is there any such requirement?
Under the AICTE Act and its subsequent Regulations, Universities established under a State or Central Act in accordance with Section 2(f) and 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, do not require AICTE approval. However, the Universities are only required to maintain AICTE norms and standards and require no prior approval of AICTE for starting Technical & Professional courses.
This has also been clarified by the Hon’ble Supreme Court’s judgment in the case of Bharathidasan University v/s AICTE wherein the Court had ruled that:
“it is not mandatory for a University, created under an Act, to seek & secure prior approval of the AICTE to start a department for imparting a course or program in technical education or a technical institution as an adjunct to the University itself to conduct technical courses of its choice & selection. The Bench also said that the definition of technical institution excludes from its purview a university, and when by definition a university is excluded from a technical institution, to interpret that such a clause or such an expression, wherever the expression technical institution occurs, will include a university will be reading into the Act what is not provided therein”.
31) Is the University receiving financial assistance from any other sources?
UPES is a self funded University and does not receive any grant or financial assistance from the Uttarakhand State Government. The University is also not entitled to receive any financial assistance or grants from UGC or any other source funded by the Government of India.
32) What is UPES placement track record? Does a public sector company insist on AICTE approval?
The University has excellent placement track. The campus placements since inception have ranged between 75% to 98.3%. For details, visit http://upes.ac.in/placement.asp As explained under Q1, the Universities do not require AICTE approval for starting technical courses. Generally, the Industry goes by the reputation and credibility of UPES while making campus recruitment.
33) Placements are done only through campus? Do these companies follow their normal recruitment process or have a specially designed format for UPES?
Yes, placements are done through campus recruitment. The recruiting companies for campus placements follow their standard selection procedures.
34) How is the student accommodation in UPES?
UPES has a suburban 30 acre campus which has well maintained hostels providing residence to 1045 students. Facilities like Mess, Reading room and newspapers are provided in the hostels.