Union Minister of Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan led the discussions of selecting 25 members for the National Medical Commission. NMC is being created as a new body that would be replacing the Medical Council of India (MCI). The proceedings of member selection took place on 14th October 2019. Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Ashwini Kumar Choubey was a part of the draw along with media persons and senior officers from the ministry. Once NMC comes into action, the medical council of India will be abolished and all the work will be done by NMC.
NMC Act states that four boards will be set up for the smooth functioning of the commission. They are as follows:
- Ethics and Medical Registration Board
- Medical Assessment and Rating Board
- Under-Graduate Medical Education Board (UGMEB)
- Post-Graduate Medical Education Board (PGMEB)
List of the Selected NMC members include the following names:
- Professor Rajendra Pandey, Vice-Chancellor, West Bengal University of Health Sciences
- Professor Himanshu A Pandya, Vice-Chancellor, Gujarat University
- Rajababu Panwar, Vice-Chancellor, Rajasthan University of Health Sciences
- Professor Mahesh Verma, Vice-Chancellor, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University in Delhi
- Raj Bahadur, Vice-Chancellor, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences
Also Read: NMC Bill 2019 avoids Major Medical Reforms
The selection was made via a draw method, in the first lottery lot, 10 Vice-Chancellors from Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Gujarat and Delhi were picked. In the second lot, 9 representatives from Sikkim, Manipur, Maharashtra, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh, Karnataka, Uttarakhand, Bihar, and Arunachal Pradesh. In the final lot, 4 members picked form Jammu&Kashmir, Nagaland, Tripura and Madhya Pradesh who will be providing part-time services for the NMC.
All the MCI 2017 members were suspended by the government and their functions and responsibilities are transferred to the new Board of governors.
Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has written to the secretaries of Medical Councils of all states and UTs regarding the Medical Advisory Council’s member selection process. MAC will be consisting of members from 36 states & UTs and 29 state medical councils.
Students interested in knowing details of the NMC bill can check out - NMC Bill Highlights, Single Entrance Exam for all Colleges in India.
Stay tuned to CollegeDekho for more news and updates!