The President of India, Sri Ram Nath Kovind recently hosted a conference with the Directors of 23 Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), 31 National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and Indian Institute of Engineering, Science and Research (IIEST) Shibpur.
Highlights of IITs, NITs, and IIEST Directors Conference
Here are some of the Highlights of IITs, NITs and IIEST Directors Conference hosted by President Ram Nath Kovind:
- National and International Rankings: The President took the opportunity to bring up various points where the educational institutions had succeeded, while also mentioning the areas where they should focus on as well. Among such topics, President Ram Nath Kovind spoke about the National and International Rankings of the Indian educational institutions. He congratulated the institutions for their achievements and the ability to improve their ranks among the other institutions. He added that the other institutions in India will be able to learn from the efforts put in by the institutes. He stated that though the ranks may just be numbers, these are crucial indicators of their progress and growth.
- Women in Science and Technology: He also pointed out that the Institutions have been working on increasing the women enrolment in various disciplines. In his statements, he stated that the inclusion of women in the fields Science and Technology will “make the fields more humane”. He also added that the Institutions now need to focus on employing more female faculty in different departments.
- Alumni: The President lauded the Billion Dollar Endowment Drive initiative by IIT Delhi, and encourage the other institutions to follow the steps of the Institute in engaging with their alumni. He added that the MHRD launched the second edition of the Leadership for Academicians (LEAP) programme, stating that the institutions should take steps to nurture and train future leaders and administrators.
- Solution for Air Pollution: The President also brought to the issues of Air Quality during the conference. He stated that the rising issues of air pollution need to be taken care of, which the institutes should take steps that will sensitize the students towards developing solutions for air pollution in today’s world. He stated that the initiatives should be taken which will allow research projects being undertaken in the field of new alternatives to fuel and energy.
- Improving Ease of Living Index: President Ram Nath Kovind also spoke on developing the Ease of Living index of India, since India has successfully improved their rank in the Ease of Doing Business index. He encouraged the institutions to take up measures such as researching on ways to improve the infrastructure, efficient water supply systems, better healthcare delivery with the help of technology.
The statement informed that conference is a part of scheduled interactions of President Kovind with educational institutions under his capacity as a visitor to 152 Central Universities and many other institutions of higher learning. Apart from the Directors if IIT, NIT and IIEST, the conference will be also attended by the Minister of Human Resource Development (HRD), Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank.’ Other delegates who will attend the conference are, Anil Sahasrabudhe, the Secretary of Department of Science and Technology (DST), also a Chairman of All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) and Mr Sanjay Dhotre, the Central Secretary of Higher Education.