- The Chhatrapatis of Kolhapur, especially His Highness Shahu Maharaj and His Highness Rajaram Maharaj have been the mainspring for the all-round development of this college. Chh. Rajarshi Shahu Maharaj strongly desired that the “Dnyanganga” should reach the lowest stratum of the society. He looked at this college as a spearhead for the spread of enlightenment among the underprivileged sections of the society in the pre-independence era. Naturally, it opened new avenues for the poor but ambitious youth.
- However, due to financial constraints the management of the college was handed over to the “Arya Pratinidhi Sabha” during the period 1919 - 26. Dr. Balkrishna, a Punjabi by birth but a great admirer of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, became the Principal of the college in 1922 and continued until his death in 1940. He proved to be a major influence, which shaped the college into a leading educational Institute in the entire Bombay Presidency. He was the epitome of sincerity and hard work.
- In 1934, B.Sc. classes started functioning in all subjects and languages like Marathi, Kannada, German, and Ardhamagadhi was introduced on the Arts side. Also the post-graduate classes in English, Sanskrit, History and Economics were started in 1926 and in other Arts and Science subjects in 1935. They were continued up to 1970.
- Rajaram College saw a unique administrator in Principal Br. Balasaheb Khardekar, a renowned scholar, and a well-known sportsman. Prin. Khardekar devoted himself wholeheartedly to the cause of the college. Consequently, it became a center of attraction for those who aspired not only for higher education but also all-round personality development. Indeed, he was a “Prince Among Principals”
- Renowned writers and poets who later became eminent personalities in the field of Marathi literature like N. S. Phadke, Madhav Julian, Prof. Pangu also served in this college and the memories of the golden era are still green in the hearts of students of that time.
- During the period 1967-1971, the college was shifted in stages to the new campus at Sagarmal in the vicinity of Shivaji University. This trying transplantation from the heart of the city to the outskirts was really critical for it adversely affected the Student-Guardian community on the one hand and the college administration on the other. Naturally, it took some time to get acclimatized to the new environment and once again the institute gained and strengthened its roots on the new grounds. At present, the college has a sprawling campus of 74 acres.
- Rajaram College is affiliated to the Shivaji University, Kolhapur. It offers the students three-year integrated B. A. and B. Sc. degree courses. It also has a post-graduate department in Psychology. At present, the college has highly experienced and committed members as well as young, enthusiastic and promising ones on the staff.
- That a doctoral thesis entitled “History of Rajaram College: 1880-1980” has been submitted to the Shivaji University, Kolhapur in the year 1999 by Shri. B. B. Bhosale, a non-Rajaramian, is an excellent example of the uniqueness of this institution. His concluding remarks would not be out of place here.
- “In short, Rajaram College lives up to the expectations of its founders in more ways than one and truly became a pioneering and model institution of higher learning in the state of Maharashtra. Therefore, its role and contribution to the field of Higher Education cannot be underestimated. May this institution continue to burn the torch of ‘HIGHER EDUCATION’ as it has entered the second century of its service to the nation !”
- In 1980-81, Rajaram College celebrated its centenary, which was inaugurated by renowned Wrangler Dr. V. V. Naralikar. In order to take a look at its own past the college had brought out a souvenir as a part of the centenary celebrations. It was a serious and a sincere attempt at self-assessment. Now the college feels that National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore has offered a fresh opportunity for honest introspection. While preparing this self-study report we understood our own potentialities better which would help us in the process of assessment and accreditation. We have become sufficiently aware of our own limitations and shall certainly try to overcome them in the near future.
- Rajaram college was established in the year 1880, by the Maharaja of Kolhapur. It has recently celebrated 125th Anniversary in 2015. It is located near Shivaji University. Many students from nearby villages study there. It is located somewhat outskirts of Kolhapur city. It has a large area of campus where many people from nearby areas come for a pleasure walk. Maharashtra State supported U.P.S.C and M.P.S.C institute is also present in the same campus. This college has given many intelligent and famous dignitaries to INDIA like IAS, IPS officers who are serving the nation. The college has a picturesque campus of around 75 acres. It has 13 independent buildings including a 2000 capacity auditorium. The Dr. Balkrishna Library has more than 125000 volumes.
RC Pictures & Videos
RC Vision and Mission
Vision - “Quality Education for Personality and for Nationality” Mission - To impart quality education to students from all strata of society, to create and to stimulate a conducive academic atmosphere for Higher Education, to ensure values like Truth, Honesty, Character, Sacrifice among the Students by sensitizing them to various issues and problems of the society and to ...