- News byStream
Bicentenary Celebration of Kolkata Presidency University to Begin Next Year
Kolkata’s Presidency University, which is one of India's oldest Universities to celebrate its bicentenary year from next year January with a plethora of activities. On 20th January President Pranab Mukherjee will participate in the Foundation Day programme of the University.
Some of the highlights of the Bicentenary Celebration
- University will organise a ‘Global Education Summit’
- Several reputed scholars from across the globe will take part in the same
- Six Nobel laureates will deliver their speech in the Summit
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will formally kick off the inaugurating event on 6thJanuary 2017
- Bicentenary celebrations, which will continue till 19th January 2017
- Heritage walk from Swami Vivekananda’s residence to the university will take place on 15th January 2017
- International students' debate
- The inaugural ceremony will be held on 6th January at Prinsep Ghat so as to accommodate more people
Anuradha Lohia, vice-chancellor of Presidency University while unveiling a special logo for the celebrations said that many alumni, who are now leaders in their respective fields have been invited. Six Nobel laureates, including economist Jean Tirole, mentor of the University Amartya Sen along with several other scholars will attend the summit and deliver speeches.
She also said that at the Global Education Summit, the future of higher education would be discussed and further put forth the fact that Bengal has been the frontrunner in higher education over the years.
Celebrations will continue throughout 2017. The University will also come up with its second university campus. So far, the state government has given the University funds of INR 50 crores for the renovation of the heritage campus, as well as INR 10 crores for the bicentenary celebration.
Under the renovation of the heritage campus, a museum will be built on the first floor of the heritage campus. It will feature the history of the university and the history of Bengal.
Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law (RGSOIPL) – part of the prestigious IIT Kharagpur – has ...
Economics is one of the most ancient subjects and has been studied through centuries by different civilizations across ...