Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
The state education department of Maharashtra has warned principals of juniors college not to admit any students through an offline process after the suicide of a 16 years old student in Kalamboli.
If the students are not admitted through the online process, they shall be barred from all exams, for which the principals would be responsible entirely, said a notice of Deputy Director of Education (DyDE), Mumbai division that was issued recently.
As per the notice, that came after Kalamboli resident Pushpa Suryavanshi hanged herself, college taking students through offline admission will have to return original documents, mark sheets and fee taken from the students. The student was denied admission into a college of her choice, despite securing 84 percent in her SSC exam, even after paying the fees amount. She studied till Class X in Sudhagad Education Society (SES) and wanted to continue studying there.
An investigating officer said that Principal Iqbal Inamdar was later arrested. He had admitted having taken money from the girl and promised her a seat.
For those students who had not reported for admission after seat allocation, deputy director of education has now opened the admission process again. For students who had not applied, want to change their college or stream and had filled in forms incorrectly, three special rounds will be conducted.
Students not satisfied with the allotted seats continued to flock in and out of the DYDE office with complaints. A student from South Mumbai said that most of the students haven’t been allotted seats according to their preference or merit. When students approached the colleges of their preference, they are asking for donations, alleges another student.
Also Read: UGC Frames Guidelines of Online Courses
The officials of a college said the confusion was because the students had not filled in their preferences correctly, while the students said they had been misguided.
Another student alleged that she had been advised by the officials of deputy director of education to fill in the first five options according to preference.
Assistant Deputy Director of Education said students who want to change their allotted college, faculty, medium and stream should check for vacancies in colleges and fill new forms with 15 options on August 9 and 10.