University Grants Commission - UGC - education standard regulator of the country has introduced a new scheme titled 'University with Potential for Excellence' also called as UPE. This scheme will encourage the selected and shortlisted universities to perform and raise their level to that of world-class universities in a particular domain. Apart from that, UGC will also allocate additional funds (more than the designated) so that a holistic development of the university is promoted which will further help them improve their stature and achieve their goals.
The basic objectives of the Universities with Potential for Excellence (UPE) scheme are:
- Governing and providing education and training for research in such a way that challenges are met.
- Focusing on infrastructure to achieve excellence in learning methodologies as well as outreach programmes.
- Fostering credit based evaluation system to come in line with the world standards and acceptance at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Working towards economic and social needs of the nation.
- Increasing scope for networking opportunities with nationwide and worldwide departments, centres and laboratories for research work.
List of Universities Shortlisted as UPE:
|S.No.||University Name & Location||Domain or Focus Area|
|1||University of Mumbai||Green Technology|
|2||University of Rajasthan||Materials and Converging Science: Nano Composites, Nano Particles & Multilayers|
|3||Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi||Advance Functional Materials, Genomics, Proteomics|
|4||University of Mysore, Karnataka||Media & Social Development in Karnataka, Processing Characterisation & Application of Advanced Functional Materials|
|5||Osmania University, Hyderabad||Material Research for Social Relevance|
|6||Jadavpur University, Kolkata||Mobile Computing and Communication & Nano-Science|
|7||Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Delhi||Genetics, Genomics and Biotechnology|
|8||University of Pune||Biochemistry & Biotechnology|
|9||Karnatak University, Dharwad||Intergrated Approach to Anti-Tumor Activity|
|10||University of Calcutta||Modern Biology|
|11||University of Madras, Chennai||Herbal Science|
|12||North Eastern Hill University, Shillong||Biosciences and Area Studies|
|13||University of Hyderabad||Interface Studies & Research|
|14||Madurai Kamaraj University, Tamil Nadu||Nano Science in Biology|
|15||Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar||Material Science|
For more updates on the same, stay tuned to CollegeDekho.com!