The Scott Christian College enjoys continuity with a village-church school founded in 1809 at Mylaudy by the Rev. William Tobias Ringeltaube, the pioneering missionary of the London Missionary Society in South Travancore. This Central School or Seminary was shifted to Nagercoil in 1818 by the Rev. Charles Mead. The Rev. Dr James Duthie took charge of the Seminary in 1860, and played a vital role in raising it to a College.
When the University of Travancore was established in 1938, the Scott Christian College was admitted to its privileges. By 1943, the number of students in the College had increased to nearly 300 including about 20 women. Since 1948, a period of expansion commenced. The Travancore University sent a Commission which suggested the strength of the Intermediate Classes to be doubled as a prelude to the introduction of degree classes. Mr. A. Nesamony, who had played a distinguished role in Church and public life, took up the responsibility of building the new Degree College block. His persistence, patience and hard work yielded spectacular results. The year 1950 saw the introduction of Degree courses at Scott Christian. The first majors introduced were Mathematics and History, and this was followed by Chemistry (1952), Economics (1954), Physics (1954), Zoology (1956) and B.Sc. Botany (1966).
The college was affiliated to the Madurai University in 1966. In 1967, the Scott Christian College celebrated its 75th Anniversary as the Platinum Jubilee. The Degree Classes were shifted to the New Campus during 1970 -1971.
SCC Kanyakumari Pictures & Videos
Contact Details of SCC Kanyakumari
the most popular courses across India, at one place
Create a free Profile now.
the most popular exams across India, at one place