The recently established Centre for Development Studies (CDS) at the campus of the PES University, Bangalore, has introduced a new programme in Development Studies - M.Sc in Applied Economics. Former Director of the Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bengaluru Professor R.S. Deshpande will head CDS.
It is a unique programme that equips the students with the ability to adapt themselves technologically and intellectually in a changed economic environment. The course emphasises on producing top class business experts and economists, whose skills and knowledge can find wide applications for policy making not only in government sectors but also in strategizing business management.
Some of the highlights of the programme are-
- It will be a four-semester programme
- It will constantly upgrade the knowledge with changing global developments
- There will be regular interactions of students with the experts
- Analytical skills of the students will be strengthened
- Programme consists of 64 compulsory papers
- There will be four specialisation papers and four audit courses
- Final semester will be accompanied by a dissertation of 20 credits
- Faculty will guide the dissertation
As far as the eligibility is concerned, graduates from science and arts with Physics, Mathematics, Environmental Sciences; B Com, BE, B Tech and B.Stats can apply for the course. However, they must have 60 percent marks at the graduation level. The admission will be offered on the basis of the marks in the entrance test conducted by PES University.
PES was founded in 1972 in Bangalore with 40 students. Today, after four decades the University has more than 18,000 students. The University has four different campuses in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.