The Supreme Court on Wednesday put an end to the uncertainty over the admission to law colleges in Maharashtra while dismissing a special leave petition filed by a law aspirant, challenging the validity of the Common Entrance Test, popularly known as CET.
The petitioner had challenged that students appearing in the exam had not been given sufficient time to prepare for the CET. Madhavi Talekar, who represented the petitioner, said that the court had dismissed the petition on technical grounds. The exam was held for the first time.
Chandrashekhar Oak, Commissioner, CET Cell said that the petitioner argued that the candidates had not been given the syllabus or enough time to prepare for the exam. But the apex court dismissed the case when it was revealed that the petitioner had himself taken the entrance test.
Madhavi Talekar said the petitioner raised the illegalities such as the 7,500 names missing from the final merit list as well as the cut-off being brought down to zero, but in vain. While Oak said that this means the CET holds valid and admissions will be done according to the merit list already declared.
The first merit list was declared last week and students have taken admission by the end of the first allotment.
- The second list will be out on 23rd September
- Already 5,532 students had enrolled into the three-year LLB course
- 2,594 were admitted to the five-year LLB course