- News byStream
DU Teachers on Strike Demanding Permanent Posting of Adhoc Teachers
To raise problems faced by ad hoc teachers, the Delhi University Teachers’ Association (DUTA) held a mass hunger strike on 22nd November 2016. The nodal teacher body has demanded that these ad hoc teachers get permanent postings in the university.
The ad hoc teachers described their struggle and how unstable their lives are because of the no guarantee in their present job.
Vijay Mani, a teacher at Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College said that these ad hoc teachers have no security or stability in their job . Every year these teachers have to struggle to get teaching positions. These teachers have to come out into the street, stand together and demand permanent postings.
In a statement issued by DUTA mentioned several problems and discrimination faced by these ad-hoc teachers on different levels like-
- Adhoc teachers have to teach more classes moving well beyond the 16-periods-per-week of UGC norms.
- They are allotted more examination related duties than their permanent counterparts.
- Adhoc teachers are humiliated by the college staff because of their ad hoc status.
- They are deprived of the all the privileges of packages offered to them.
- Fearing that they will lose their jobs, most are unable to voice their resistance.
- Many teachers have to leave their job due to the failure of the administration to conduct permanent interviews on a regular basis.
As per figures released by DUTA officials, there are 10,000 teachers post in Delhi University and half of them are hired on an ad hoc basis. It is was only in 2013-14 permanent appointments were taken place last and around 700 teachers were hired back at that time.
In 2012 DU teachers had held a 56-day hunger strike on these same issues but nothing has changed since then, the teachers allege. Only 700 appointments have taken place against around 4,500 vacancies since 2012. Rudrashish Chakraborty, a teacher from Kirori Mal College, said that their only demand is to make ad hoc teachers permanent.
Admit Card of National Institute of Fashion Technology has been released on January 21, 2017 online. NIFT Entrance ...
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is conducted every year for technical and science graduates who seek ...