Finance Minister, Mr. Arun Jaitley presented the Union Budget for the financial year of 2017-18 today, 1st February 2017 on the auspicious occasion of Basant Panchmi.
We bring to you the provisions that have been proposed this year with regard to education.
- The government proposed the introduction of a system that will measure annual learning of the youth. Primarily, the basis for the same will be on Science and allied areas and a flexible education curriculum. Arun Jaitley mentioned that quality education is the main focus which will also energize the youth of the country.
- A number of skill centres will also be set up in various areas across the country which will enhance the employability chances and opportunities for the youth. A budget of Rs. 2,200 crore has been set aside for development of vocational training institutes.
- The restructuring of UGC or the University Grants Commission has also been accommodated in this year's budget.
- Two new All India Institute of Medical Sciences will be set up in the states of Gujarat and Jharkhand.
- A brand new metro rail policy is on the cards, which will produce more job opportunities for the youth.
- Steps will be taken to increase the number of PG or post graduate seats for medical sciences.
- A number of colleges will be identified and granted an autonomous status on the basis of the accreditation they possess.
- DTH channels will be used to link courses online, especially those available on the SWAYAM platform. It will offer about 310 online courses to students and further enable them to have access to high-quality resources.
- A national level agency will be set up that will look into the conduction of all the entrance exams with regard to higher education. The proposed step will help CBSE, UGC etc. to focus on other academic requirements instead of entrance exams.
- An 'Innovation Fund' for secondary education will be set up.
- PMKK or Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras will be extended to about 600 districts. Additionally, 110 centres will be opened to address the need of youth employment opportunities abroad.
Stay tuned to CollegeDekho.com for more updates!