Gujarat: Medical Courses Admissions to be done only through NEET

By - | February 10, 2017 02:34 PM | 2 minute read
Gujarat: Medical Courses Admissions to be done only through NEET
Highlights: Health and Medical Education Minister of Gujarat, Shankar Chaudhary has announced that students aspiring for any of the medical courses will have to appear for NEET exam.

Health and Medical Education Minister of Gujarat, Shankar Chaudhary has announced that students aspiring for any of the medical courses will have to appear for NEET exam.

In 2016, students applying for MBBS and BDS courses had to take NEET exam, whereas those who wanted to study Homoeopathic, Naturopathy and Ayurveda courses had to apply through the score of GUJCET entrance exam.

Also Read: Parents Find NEET Process Confusing, Demand Clarity from DMER

The announcement was made on Thursday, February 9, 2017, making NEET compulsory for admission to all medical courses. The decision has been taken to relieve the students from taking two exams for different medical courses.

Chaudhary also added that the GUJCET has been dropped for medical admissions. He also clarified that the seat allocation for students belonging to the different board of education boards will be done on the basis of percentage of students studying in respective boards in Gujarat.

Students of Gujarat board will be given the largest proportion of the seats as they constitute the largest pool of students in Gujarat.

Merit list on the basis of Class 12 board exam percentage will be made for admission to courses like optometry, audiology and speech therapy, physiotherapy and nursing. Students applying to these programmes will not require NEET score for admission.

Also Read: Punjab Disregards Centres Advice on NEET PG Admission Process

85% of the seats offered by medical colleges in Gujarat are reserved for native students of the state. Remaining 15% seats are for students applying through all-India quota. The state offers a total of 3,330 MBBS seats in 22 medical colleges and 1,155 BDS seats in dental colleges.

Gujarat: Medical Courses Admissions to be done only through NEET | CollegeDekho
/news/gujarat-medical-courses-admissions-to-be-done-only-through-neet-71554/