With a wise vision and wide perspective, Panjab University (PU) to apply for the world-class university status being planned by Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) Government of India.
The internal quality assurance cell (IQAC) of Punjab University has shared a draft report on the vision of the University and also some of its future plans on how to move forward and attain that much-coveted status for the university.
The ‘Vision 2020’ document of Punjab University stresses on a number of points to be cultivated in future. Prominent among them are:
- Promotion of quality education at affordable prices
- Strengthening basic and applied research
- Promotion of quality research relevant to the society
- Actively engage in patenting its research for value addition
- Shape students' destiny with present market condition
- Be sensitive to Indian culture, patriotism and human values
Besides that, the University also plans to widen and enhance its achievements in basic sciences which the university has already bagged at the national as well as international level.
As per a report, HRD Ministry plans to identify 10 public and 10 private universities and develop them as the world class institutes. But to be eligible, these institutes will have to fulfill several parameters like adequate infrastructure, sufficient faculty members, good academic relations at international level, advance research and involvement in innovation works.
An official of IQAC said that once the university has been identified for the same. It will get INR 1,000 crore every time for a period of five years from an International Organization. The university has also come up with several reformative measures to be eligible to apply for the coveted world-class university status. These measures include:
- Restructuring and upgrading the overall academic organisation
- Turning teaching departments into graduate schools and research institutes
- Creating ten graduate schools with right nomenclature
- Offering a variety of courses that are structured as per global standards