- News byStream
PAU Develops New Varieties of Crops
In a major achievement, Punjab Agricultural University (PAU) has released two new varieties of wheat and celery for general cultivation in the state.
After a thorough discussion on salient characteristics of these varieties, these new varieties have been approved by State Variety Approval Committee under the Chairmanship of Director of Agriculture Punjab, Jasbir Singh Bains, said an official release.
Characteristics of the new Wheat are-
The new variety bread wheat is named as PBW 725 for cultivation in the state.
- The new variety possesses a combination of several desirable traits.
- It gives high grain yield, resistance to yellow and brown rusts
- It is a double dwarf variety with an average plant height of 105 cm.
- It matures in about 154 days and its average grain yield is 22.9 quintals per acre, that is 7.6 percent higher than that of the predominant wheat variety.
- Its grains are hard, amber, medium bold and lustrous.
The university has got very positive feedback from the farmers of the state during the last crop season on new wheat variety PBW 725, said the Director of Research, PAU
Characteristics of the new Celery are -
- The variety starts bearing flowers in the month of March.
- The seeds are brown in colour.
- It has a characteristic odour and pungent taste.
- It contains 1.9 percent essential oil with a total oil content of 20.1 per cent.
- It matures in 140-150 days after transplanting.
- Its average seed yield is 4.46 quintals per acre.
Achieving another milestone on its way to growth, the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Ranchi has recorded 100% ...
If you like meeting new people, expressing new ideas, find creative ways of doing things or writing then a career in ...