- News byStream
Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP) at IIM INDORE
The Post Graduate Programme (PGP) in Management at IIM Indore is a two-year, full-time, residential programme. It is recognized by the Association of Indian Universities and is considered equivalent to the M.B.A. Degree. The programme aims to groom participants into competent professional managers with
- Capacity to learn and adapt to national and international environment;
- An orientation towards achieving excellence, maintaining high ethical standards and
- A capacity to work effectively and efficiently, both individually and in-groups.
To produce contextually relevant, socially-conscious managers with exposure to word class management education.
Learning goals of PGP are aligned with the mission of the Institute. Specific learning goals of the PGP programme are as follows.
Goal 1: Enable students to understand relevance of context in business
Goal 2: Develop social consciousness
Goal 3: Develop critical thinking skills
Goal 4: Inculcate integrative thinking ability
Goal 5: Promote interpersonal awareness and ability to work in groups
Goal 6: Enable students to learn how to apply the basic principles of communication in order to write effective business messages, case analysis and reports.
Goal 7: Develop competence in quantitative analysis
Goal 8: Prepare business leaders with a sound understanding of ethics
The PGP is spread over two years, each year consisting of three terms. In between the first and second years, the participant spends eight weeks on a summer project in a business organization. The academic year begins in June/July and ends in March/April of the following year.
Based on feedback from the corporate sector, benchmarking against globally top-ranked MBA programmes and insights from recent studies on the effectiveness of MBA programmes, IIM Indore has launched a new PGP (MBA) programme design from its 2016-18 Batch.
Skill Development Courses: These include Communication, Leadership, Spreadsheet Modeling, Entrepreneurial Orientation, Innovation and Design Thinking and Sustainability, taught in a workshop-based format.
Blending Theory & Practice
Another initiative to blend theory and practice is the hiring of professors of practice, which allows industry professionals with 15-20 years of experience to become a part of the IIM Indore full-time faculty. These professors of practice are already making a difference with case-writing projects on SBI, Godrej and BHEL, and a new consulting practicum to be offered in the second-year PGP.
IIM Indore retains and reinforces some differentiating features from its earlier programme design:
- Unique rural immersion programme to give graduates contextual connect: To enable the participants to understand the social context in which organizations work and exist, an exposure to the rural settings of Madhya Pradesh is included in the course design.
- Experiential learning- Students visit a company once a week in the first year of the Programme. They are required to carry out a study on various industries and key players in the industry. This enhances their exposure to organizations and provides them a backdrop for analysing the managerial contexts of different cases.
- A unique matrix based structure for PGP-II wherein participants take 10% credits in ‘Industry Vertical Courses’ and 10% credits in ‘Functional Area Courses’ in addition to the general management credits.
- Himalaya outbound programme for PGP-II students: While participants are adequately prepared for a corporate career, their ability to motivate themselves to perform in an unfamiliar ambience and work as a team is enhanced by encouraging them to undergo an outbound exercise and simulation conducted in serene locations at various altitudes in the Himalayas. While students get to pursue electives of their choice, they are also given an opportunity to register for workshops to get focused knowledge on the skills and practices applicable to specific functional domains.
- IIM Indore students participate in a wide range of extra and co-curricular activities which include IRIS (The Annual Management & Cultural Festival) and Utsaha (Rural Marketing Fair).
- Strong Student Exchange Programme: IIM Indore has exchange tie-ups with several prestigious international business schools. A large number of students visit these business schools and complete one semester there.
The course fee for resident Indians (for two years) is Rs. 13,00,000/- (Rupees Thirteen Lacs only) and Rs.19, 50,000/-(Rupees Nineteen Lacs Fifty Thousand only) for NRI Candidates. The course fee includes access to lectures, computer facilities, library etc. It also includes alumni fee and lodging. Course fee does not include cost of textbooks
The Post Graduate Programme lasts six trimesters, spread over two years, with a summer project in between the two years. This eight-week programme is an opportunity for participants to put their ideas and skills in to work, in established and reputed companies from various sectors.
The first year participants are given the fundamental knowledge, analytical skills & techniques, contextual understanding, environmental awareness and overall perspective, which will serve as the bedrock for the programme. The areas covered are Marketing, Finance, Human Resource Management, Quantitative Research, Operations, Economics and Strategy.
In the second year electives give participants a deeper understanding of different functional areas and enable them to specialize in areas of their choice. The participants are encouraged to select courses in specific domains such as Analytics, Ecom./IT/ITES, BFS, FMCG, Insurance and Infrastructure. The emphasis is on the application of knowledge gained, in the form of projects, group exercises and case discussions. Guest lectures and workshops further enrich their learning.
Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) has offered scholarships to thirty graduating students of Indian ...
One of the biggest confusion after appearing for B-school entrance exams is the evaluation procedure. There is a void ...