Rajya Sabha Nods for Setting Up NIT in Andhra Pradesh

Janvi Bhambri
Janvi BhambriPublished On: August 02, 2016
Rajya Sabha passes the bill for setting up NIT in Andhra Pradesh.
Rajya Sabha Nods for Setting Up NIT in Andhra Pradesh

According to the recent bill passed in the parliament, a new National Institute of Technology (NIT) will be established in Andhra Pradesh.

After a series of voice votes, the Rajya Sabha, passed The National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research (Amendment) Bill, 2016. On July 21, the bill was given a nod by the Lok Sabha.

According to the bill, NIT will be established in Andhra Pradesh as an institute of national importance.

HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar assured that they won’t let any shortage of funds come in the way of setting up the institute. He also said to Jairam Ramesh, that institute was already formed, only the bill is passing today.

He also mentioned that Rs 40 crore have been allocated by the government for establishing the institute and a DPR (detailed project report) will be completed in another two months. As soon as this is completed, the funds will be released and granted to the institute.

Also Read:12 NIT Directors to be Appointed by HRD Ministry

Also, the government is trying to solve the issue of inadequate facilities in the top institutes like IITs and NITs.

Inadequate faculty has been an issue for a long time now. Even in the top institutes of the country, only 75% of the total faculty required is available, the rest 25% faculty seats are empty.

Regarding this, Prakash Javadekar, also said that they are putting in all their efforts to fill in vacancies in IITs, NITs etc. They are trying to find good quality, trained teachers to fill in the seats.

In the year 2013-14, the funding for NITs was Rs. 2100 crore, it has now increased to Rs 2,645 crore in the year 2015-16.

Get Help From Our Expert Counsellors


Be the First to Know

Get Access to Latest Updates

Do you have a question? Ask us.

  • Typical response between 24-48 hours

  • Get personalized response

  • Free of Cost

  • Access to community

Subscribe to CollegeDekho News

By proceeding ahead you expressly agree to the CollegeDekho terms of use and privacy policy
Apply Now

Top 10 Engineering Colleges in India

View All

Join us and get exclusive education updates & notifications.