As per a new initiative, the University Grants Commission (UGC) is planning to instruct higher education institutes across the country to make sure that at least half of the graduates (50%) passing from a university or higher education institute find a job, look for self-employment or pursue higher education. UGC will also instruct the higher educational institutes to make sure that 1/3rd of students in a college/ university must engage in socially productive activities.
UGC has taken this initiative due to poor unemployment statistics that have been witnessed among graduates. The commission will soon approve a set of targets that higher learning institutes must accomplish by 2022. According to sources, UGC may also come up with five-point plan/ objectives that will majorly focus on the employability of graduates, imparting better skills and engagement with society.
UGC 5-Point Objectives to Higher Learning Institutes in India:
- It is the responsibility of higher educational institutes to adopt at least five villages for the exchange of knowledge, as well as, social and economic development of local communities.
- Educational institutes must provide training to at least 75% students on professional skills such as time management, leadership, communication, teamwork etc.
- With a motive to access the learning levels of students, institutes must conduct an exit test for all the graduating students. On the other hand, institutes must also keep a track of the progress of students after the completion of the course from a university/ college.
- By 2022, all the higher learning institutes in India must have NAAC accreditation with a minimum score of 2.5. UGC will mentor the non-accredited institutes to get NAAC accreditation.
- Teachers in higher learning institutes will have to take part in orientation modules and refresher courses on modern pedagogy. On the other hand, the educational institutes should not have more 10% of teacher vacancies out of the total sanctioned strength. Reforms in exam system, revising curriculum and introducing induction programmes for students are also the part of the fifth objective.
Stay tuned to CollegeDekho for the latest educational news & updates.