7th Pay Commission: DU Teachers Protest against MHRD Circular

Published: | February 09, 2018
7th Pay Commission: DU Teachers Protest against MHRD Circular
  • On February 08, 2018, DUTA protested against the self-generation of resources clause of MHRD.
  • DUTA further demanded the payment of salaries as per 7th Pay Revision.

On February 08, 2018, over 4,000 teachers and karmacharis of Delhi University marched to the office of University Grants Commission (UGC) protesting against the recommendations of 7th Pay Commission. The Delhi University Teachers Association (DUTA) was against the implication of funding formula by Ministry of Human Resource and Development (MHRD) that force the universities to generate at least 30% funding resources.

DUTA was highly anguished against the delay in disbursing salaries as per the recommendations of 7th Pay Revision. The teachers are afraid that there would be much delay in disbursing the revised pay due to MHRD clause on generating 30-70% funding independently by the universities.

According to the official notice issued by MHRD on January 13, 2018, all the central universities are expected to get only 70% of the enhanced financial burden on account of the 7th Pay Revision. The rest of the 30% resources or funds must be generated by the universities independently, stated by the MHRD notice.

The members of DUTA claimed that the government is intended to reduce the funds to public-funded institutes or universities. The central government further assured only 50% central assistance to state universities for a reduced period of 39 months, which is not judicial. In the previous pay revision, the government provided 80% central assistance to state universities for 51 months, explained DUTA.

Also Read: - 7th Pay Commission and MHRD Recommendations

DUTA further expressed that the withdrawal of funding from the government will force the universities to impose the burden on students. It will increase the expenditure of students and parents towards education.

According to DUTA, a situation of compulsory stagnation was created for all the senior teachers, professors, assistant professors and principals due to the pay revision. DUTA also pointed that the MHRD notification made no reference to the revised pension benefits for teachers as per the provisions of 7th Pay Revision.

Also Read: - Teachers in Central and State Varsities to Get Pay Hike: 7th Pay Commission

Representatives and Teachers from Jamia Millia Islamia, IGNOU and Aligarh Muslim University also took part in the protest.

DUTA and DUCKU called for a joint rally from Mandi House to Parliament Street on February 16, 2018.

Comments

Subscribe to CollegeDekho News

Apply Now
Experts image

Want to learn more about college options and to secure an admission now!

CollegeDekho's expert counsellors can help you with all your doubts