- News byStream
Admission Notice- Gauhati University Announces Admission to PhD 2016-2017
Gauhati University invites applications from eligible candidates for admission into the Ph.D. Programme (in various subjects) for the academic year 2016-2017.
- Candidate must have passed Masters level examination from a university / institute recognised by the UGC.
- Candidate must have secured at least 55% or Grade B equivalent in their Master's examination
- Qualifying Examination : For admission into the Ph.D. Programme of GU, candidate must have passed a course which is equivalent to the two-year Masters Programme that GU has, which is usually taken after twelve (12) years of school and three (3) years of undergraduate course, completing a total of 15 years of education. That is, the candidate must have had 17 years of formal education before he/she can be admitted into a Ph.D. Programme. Though this may vary depending on different disciplines.
A relaxation of 5% is applicable to reserved category students.
- Admission into the PhD Programme of Gauhati University for the academic session 2016-17 (August 2016 to July 2017) will be a three-tier process
The Central Application Process (CAP)
The Research Eligibility Test (GU-RET 2016)
- Completing the CAP and qualifying the GU-RET 2016 DO NOT guarantee admission into the PhD Programme.
- All applicants, including International Students, MUST go through the Central Application Process (CAP), irrespective of any fellowship they might have either through any scheme or any research project (see below for exemptions). The CAP will be facilitated through this website with a dedicated Online Portal.
- The Ph.D. Entrance Examination for admission into the Ph.D. Programme of Gauhati University is GU-RET 2016 (Gauhati University Research Eligibility Test) and will be held centrally during last week of May and the first week of June 2016 (details will be made available through this website).
- The entrance examination will be a single paper comprising of three sections - Section A, B, and C, of the total duration of 3 hours with a maximum mark of 100. The course contents for the GU-RET 2016 will be that of Masters Programme of GU (for respective disciplines). For course contents, a candidate can visit http://web.gauhati.ac.in/courses.
- Qualifying criteria in GU-RET 2016 - 50% in each section.
- Special provisions
An applicant can apply for exemption from appearing in the GU-RET 2016, through CAP, if s/he has any research fellowship, including NET-JRF (CSIR / UGC).
All International Applications will have a separate selection procedure in GU-RET 2016. However, an International Applicant MUST go through the CAP.
Exemptions CAN NOT be decided by an applicant. It will be decided by the Admission Committee and the names of exempted applicants will be notified prior to the GU-RET 2016, through this website.
A permanent faculty member of any GU Postgraduate Department is exempted from appearing in GU-RET 2016, but MUST go through CAP.
- An applicant MUST decide the parent department to which s/he is applying for the Ph.D. Programme and indicate in the application form and will NOT be considered for admission into any other departments. However, in case interdisciplinary subjects, there will be a provision for preferences.
- The CAP and GU-RET 2016 results will be valid ONLY for the current academic year i.e. for admission into the academic session 2016-17.
- In case of applicants having MEd degree-seeking admission into the Ph.D. Programme of a certain department MUST have the respective postgraduate degree belonging to that department.
- Students appearing in the final year of their Masters Programme are eligible to apply through CAP and appear in the GU-RET 2016. However, their admission into the Ph.D. Programme is subject to successful completion of the Masters Examination.
- Results of GU-RET 2016 will be published by the third week of June.
All other UGC prescribed norms will be followed throughout.
The CAP or Central Application Process will be activated on 20 April 2016 will remain active for two weeks till 3 May 2016.
The GU-RET 2016 will be held during last week of May and the first week of June 2016.
For more details, please visit the university website.
Source:Darshana Brahma, City Journalist, Guwahati CollegeDekho
The National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) is likely to reduce the duration of Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) ...
One of the biggest confusion after appearing for B-school entrance exams is the evaluation procedure. There is a void ...