In a lieu to safeguard the interests of thousands of medical aspirants of north-eastern states, North East Students' Organization (NESO) urged the Centre and the state governments of the region to approach the Supreme Court to ensure that students from the region didn't suffer in the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). So far 6.5 lakh students have already sat for the first phase of NEET held on May 1. The next phase of the exam is scheduled for July 24.
NESO said the interests of students studying in vernacular-medium schools should not be affected while conducting a single medical entrance test across the country.
In compliance with the directives of the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India, the Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi is conducting the National Eligibility Cum Entrance Test, for the academic session 2016-17. This entrance test is being conducted for the 15% merit positions in the Medical/Dental Colleges of India as specified in the directives of the Supreme Court and will be governed by the rules and regulations specified for the same by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India from time to time.
"We want the Centre and the state governments to approach the apex court so that NEET does not have an adverse impact on the future of vernacular-medium students. The state quotas for admission in medical colleges in the northeast must not be affected," said Neso chairman Samuel Jyrwa.
Source: Darshana Brahma, City Journalsit, Guwahati, CollegeDekho