Confused about your exam or college applications?
Be the First to Know
Get Access to Latest Updates
Skills and knowledge are the driving forces of economic growth and social development for any country. Presently, the country faces a demand-supply mismatch, as the economy needs more ‘skilled’ workforce due to change in demographic profile of the country, with 54% of its population under 25years of age, rising aspiration of the youth seeking better jobs and growing expectation of an employer for an efficient, well-trained workforce to contribute to the economy of young India.
The National Policy for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship reported a shortage of 109 million skilled people by 2022 and this alarming stats made the Government take an effort towards skilling the Youth under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna.
According to the Ministry of Human Resources Development,now All India Council of Technical Education AICTE New Delhi ,will take up the charge for Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna (PMKVY). The objective being to train the unemployed youth in Engineering skills through AICTE approved Engineering and Polytechnic colleges.
The courses will be conducted on the college campus in off college hours. Funds will be given to the institutions for running the course.
Under this scheme, the eligible institutions will have to teach the skills training programme for 250 hours, with a batch of 25 students each.
Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Higher Education currently caters to over 3 Crore students, which comes to a Gross Enrolment Ratio of 21.1% and the dropout rate at each level is on higher side. There is a large requirement of skilled persons in the core engineering sectors, and it is possible to train the dropouts from the higher education system is these skills.
OBJECTIVE OF THE SCHEME
The main objective of the Scheme is to impart Engineering Skills for 10 Lakh youth in the next three years. It is aimed to:
- Encourage the institutions for making the best use of the available infrastructure of higher education system during off hours for skill training.
- Provide employable and certifiable skills based on National Occupational Standards (NOS) with necessary soft skills to the school dropouts who want to pursue/attain higher order skills and living in the vicinity of College.
- Provide for up-gradation and certification of traditional/acquired skills of the learners irrespective of their age.
- Provide opportunities for community-based life-long learning by offering courses of general interest to the community for personal development and interest; Offer bridge courses to certificate holder of general/ vocational education, so as to bring them at par with appropriate NSQF level.
- Provide entrepreneurial orientation along with required skills, trained for self-employment and entrepreneurship development. Provide Post Placement support, Tracking and Monitoring.
- Any person may join such programmes as per the eligibility criteria. For admission to the programmes offered by the Institutions, preference will be given to the learners living in the local community.
- Reservation to SC, ST, OBC and PwD categories will be available as per the extant National / State policy.
- There shall be no age bar for admission under this scheme. Admission may be done round the year, depending on the duration of the programmes, to facilitate a steady stream of learners joining the college and moving out as trained workforce to the job market.
- The applicants seeking re-entry into the programme should get preference in admission to the new applicant
- The School dropouts who want to pursue, attain higher order skills and living in the vicinity of College/Polytechnic.
- Admission will not be given to such students who have taken the similar type of training from some other training organisation. The student data will be verified from the data of students undergone training under PMKVY, which is now being compiled by NSDC. This data is being integrated with National Labour Market Information System (NLMIS) by National Skill Development Agency (NSDA).
CERTIFICATION AND AWARDS
On successful completion of training, the certificate will be awarded by the respective Sector Skill Council OR certifying agencies approved by NSDA.
For more information please visit the official website of AICTE.