The new campus of National Institute of Securities Markets (NISM), will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 24 December 2016 at Patalganga near Mumbai .
It is an initiative of Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) capital markets regulator. Right now, NISM operates from its campus in Vashi, Navi Mumbai. To meet the growing requirements in the sector, existing infrastructure is not sufficient.
More details about new NISM Campus:
- New campus is spread over 70 acres of areas at Patalganga.
- It can accommodate 5,000 students.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India has invested INR 400 crore in the project.
- Participants from more than 30 countries across the world have joined this year's programme.
NISM is actively engaged in conducting investor awareness programmes throughout the country. The new campus is being developed for about 1,000 residential participants in several training programmes. The new campus will help NISM widen its activities. In today's changing scenario there is a huge demand for qualified securities market professionals. The institute is expected to cater to these demands.
NISM carries its activities through its six Schools of Excellence. These Schools are -
- School for Investor Education and Financial Literacy
- School for Certification of Intermediaries
- School for Corporate Governance
- School for Regulatory Studies and Supervision
- School for Securities Education
- School for Securities Information and Research
In the last 25 years, the Board has brought far-reaching reforms through various regulatory changes. But the major challenges it has been facing is the lack of sufficient securities market professionals. The markets desperately need qualified securities markets professionals with qualities like being competent in comprehensive knowledge of securities markets, well-informed, willing to swiftly adapt to changes, conversant with global trends etc.
NISM caters to educational needs of various constituencies through these schools. These includes-
- Regulatory staff
- Future professionals of securities markets
NISM, established by SEBI, has been working in different domains like offering inputs on financial literacy, engaging in capacity building among stakeholders in the securities markets, on financial literacy, providing professional education, offer certification, fostering policy research, enhancing governance standards.
Besides that NISM conducts mandatory certification examinations. It also runs professional educational programmes for various sections of the securities markets. NISM conducts examinations for around 1.5 lakh candidates every year. So far more than five lakh candidates have been certified by NISM. Over the years NISM has been actively engaged in conducting investor awareness programmes throughout the country.