- News byStream
Two Cyclists on Mission for Girl Child Education
Sumeet Paringe (26) and Prisiliya Madan (22), the two extremely passionate young cyclists from Mumbai, have taken up a challenge to spread awareness about girl child education through their cycling expedition and also raise Rs. 50 lacs funds for their education.
There is much more to them. What is unique about them is that they are travelling on bamboo bikes designed and manufactured especially for them by Godrej. This is for the first time that a cyclist will ride on Bamboo bikes on this route. These two 'Cyclists for Change’ who started their ride from Kanyakumari reached the city on 21st July.
They have so far covered approximately 700 km and from past eight days have been riding. But they are not alone in this mission. Support is coming from Bangalore’s famous cycling groups like Bangalore Cyclists Group, Bangalore Cycling and Bangalore Cycling Club. On 23rd July, these cycling clubs rode with Sumeet and Prisiliya from Kasturba Road to Crescent Road. Then, the two cyclists went on to ride until the next halt. Both the cyclists are supposed to reach Khardung La by mid-September. Then they will travel across 11 states.
While lauding the role of education, Sumeet Paringe said that education is the key to empowering women and girls. It helps in bringing about social equality. When you educate a girl you educate a family. Prisiliya, who has just completed her Masters in Computer Science has always been encouraged by her parents to pursue her dreams. She believes every girl should be given the opportunity to enlighten through education.
How is the ride is unique?
- The cyclists are travelling on specially designed bamboo bikes.
- They are manufactured for them by Godrej.
- This is the first time in India that cyclists are riding on bamboo bikes.
- They are committed to girl empowerment through education and skilling,
- Godrej brought on board IMPACT, a registered Non-Government Organisation (NGO)
- Crowdfunding platform 'Fuel a Dream' was created to support this cause.
- Individuals can contribute towards girl education by visiting the 'Fuel a Dream' website
- It has already raised more than Rs. 8 Lacs
The team hopes to support the education of 1500 girls at least through this mission.
Mr. Dhanajay Munde, a senior NCP leader requested the Chief Minister of Maharashtra not to implement JEE Mains ...
National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (NCHMCT) will be conducting NCHMCT JEE 2017 tomorrow i.e. ...