- News byStream
Vice- President Stressed on the Positive Role of University
Shri M. Hamid Ansari Vice- President of India has said that in societies like India, where we are struggling against the social ills and deep-rooted prejudices, the transformative potential of universities are greatly needed.
The Vice-president said this at Mysuru University while addressing the Valedictory Function of the Centenary Celebrations.
While citing the genesis of word university the vice-president said that the term university has come latin word 'universitas' meaning 'a whole'. Therefore the university should deal with the universality of knowledge and humanity in all its manifestations as the word suggests, said the vice president.
Important Points of Vice-President's Speech
- Universities are to be seen as crucial national assets
- It can be used as sources of new knowledge and innovative thinking
- As providers of skilled personnel
- The universities are the forum of free speech and debate.
- They have great role in fostering fraternity, social and cultural vitality
- The University can build an egalitarian society.
- The long-term viability and stability of a democratic polity is mainly dependent on the maintenance and development of the educational level of population.
Also Read : Bangalore University Celebrates 51st Convocation
Further, he said that the varsities can act as both weather vanes and safety valves of political dissent and direction. Stopping of such discourse only leads to mistrust and begets social malcontent he added further.
While lauding Mysuru University he said the University has an excellent track record in research , especially microbiology field. Mysuru University has outstanding rankings in the NAAC surveys. The Vice -President gave the credit of the success to students and faculty members for making the university as a centre of excellence.
Chief Minister of Maharashtra Devendra Fadnavis announced that the students who want to avail scholarships must link ...
The Goa Institute of Management (GIM) selects students on the basis of scores secured by a candidate in either XAT, ...