The Central Government has banned reputed institutions like JNU, Delhi University, IIT Delhi and others from receiving foreign funds. These institutes have been barred from receiving international aid as their registration under the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act, 2010 (FCRA) has been annulled by the Union Home Ministry.
These institutes have failed to submit their annual returns for five consecutive years, therefore, their registration has been cancelled. An organization that has not been registered under the FCRA is not permitted to receive foreign funds.
Following Educational Institutes cannot receive Foreign Funds:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT-D)
- Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU)
- Panjab University
- University of Delhi (DU)
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- Lady Irwin College, Delhi
- Gargi College, Delhi
- Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Khalsa College, Delhi (SGBT)
- The Doon School Old Boys Association
- Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka
In response to the cancellation of registration, IIT Delhi said that the Statutory Bodies established under the Central or State Act are required to get their accounts audited by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India, therefore, such institutes have been exempted from the operation of the provisions of the FCRA Act, 2010.
Apart from education institutes, there are various government as well as private organisations that have been banned from receiving foreign funds after their FCRA license was cancelled. The Home Ministry has released a detailed list of the organisations that have been banned on its official website.
Other Popular Organisations that cannot receive Foreign Donations:
- Supreme Court Bar Association
- Gandhi Peace Foundation
- Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre
- Dr. Zakir Hussain Memorial Trust
- Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan
- School Of Planning & Architecture
- Armed Forces Flag Day Fund
- FICCI Socio Economic Development Foundation
- Dr Ram Monohar Lohia International Trust
- Co-ordinating Voluntary Adoption Resource Agency
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health, Bangalore
Various other organisations have been barred by the Home Ministry after they failed to file the returns from 2010-11 to 2014-15, despite receiving several notices regarding the same. Various NGOs were also given opportunities to file returns without penalty until June 14, 2017.
These organisations were also asked to send their replies regarding the same till July 23, 2017, failing which, the ministry presumed that they had nothing to say in this matter. Since FCRA renewal cannot be granted until the returns are filed, the registration of these organisations has been cancelled.