- News byStream
CSIR Ranked 12th Best Government Institution of the World
According to a recent report, the Council of Scientific Industrial Research (CSIR) has grabbed the 12th spot for the best government institutions among the 746 institutions across the world.
The first rank has been occupied by France's National Centre for Scientific Research, followed by Chinese Academy of Science, China. Scimago Institutions ranks the institutes based on the innovation, social impact and research performance.
From the last three consecutive years, CSIR has been occupying the position of 14th rank. The global ranking of the institute also improved from 110 to 99th position.
CSIR runs 37 laboratories and 39 field stations spread across the nation with a total staff of over 13,375. It is engaged in cutting-edge research activities on a wide range of scientific disciplines. The institute is an autonomous body registered under the Registration of Societies Act of 1860. The institute has 10,000 highly qualified scientists and technologists as its assets . Over the years CSIR has made tremendous contributions to the economic and social development of India.
Also Read: IIT to Conduct IIT JEE in 10 More Countries
Some of the Achievements of CSIR:
- Developed India's first synthetic drug
- It developed the first Indian tractor Swaraj in 1967 using indigenous technology
It analysed genetic diversity of the indigenous Andamanese tribes for the first time
Designed India's first ever parallel processing computer Flosolver
- First to introduce DNA fingerprinting in India
- Rejuvenated one-hundred-year-old Digboi refinery through modern molecular distillation technology
- It also completed the sequencing of the Human Genome in 2009
- Designed 14 seater plane 'SARAS'
- Developed the first drug screening for cancer in humans.
- Challenged the grant of patent on Neem and Turmeric in the USA
The institute is also involved in different R&D activities like ocean sciences, food, petroleum, metallurgy, aerospace engineering, engineering, life sciences, chemicals, leather, and the environment.
In order to bring more transparency, the CBSE board has decided to mention the extra marks awarded to Class 12 students ...
One of the most popular course choice after Engineering and Medical is Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) programmes. With ...