- News byStream
Filling up Faculty Quota Seats will be Challenging: IIM Directors
The IIM bill that was recently proposed will soon be presented to the cabinet for a decision. According to the bill, there will be a provision of quotas for faculty recruitment, which is being anticipated for its relevance. The chiefs of IIMs are of the opinion that it will affect the quality of education and fulfillment of reserved seats will be a challenge too. It is being speculated that even though quota reservations might be introduced, it will not become a mandatory obligation. As a result, IIMs will be able to fill those seats with regular faculty members.
At present, the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) have no particular data on the total number of fellows of the reserved category who have completed PhD in the previous five years. According to Anindya Sen, director of IIM Ranchi, initially there should be 10% - 20% reservation, and basis the trend and statistics of people coming into the system from the reserved category, the percentage can be increased further. Applying it at one go will only lead to problems.
Features of IIM Bill:
- To allow these institutes to grant degrees instead of diplomas for the management courses that they offer at the postgraduate level
- Presentation of an annual report by the Director (Chief Executive Officer) of the institute, that will include insights on the state of affairs, the productivity of research projects, performance indicators, internal standards set by the institute, innovations in teaching, application of knowledge etc.
- Initiating the process to fill up the vacancy of the Director nine months prior to the occurrence of such vacancy in case of completion of tenure
- To have a 4-year term for chairman of the Board of Governors as against the current five years
- Reservations should be allowed when one is just beginning his/her career basis the economic conditions only
In order to bring more transparency, the CBSE board has decided to mention the extra marks awarded to Class 12 students ...
One of the most popular course choice after Engineering and Medical is Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) programmes. With ...