To bring education to the digital platform, HRD Ministry has launched 32 educational channels that aim to make the learning process more interactive, interesting and render systematic instruction to students. Through the efforts, it is expected to hone the school children for higher studies.
The content of these channels would be provided through different methods like-
- Picture descriptions
- Lectures broadcasted directly from the IIT-Mumbai, IIT-Kanpur, and IIT-Kharagpur.
Of these 32 digital platforms, 3 channels are devoted for IIT aspirants. But the government is also facing problems as the service providers of Direct to Home (DTH) has asked money from the government to broadcast the educational channels.
Recently the HRD Ministry held a meeting with all DTH service providers as well as the cable operators to broadcast the channels. Though DTH has agreed to broadcast the channels but they have asked the ministry for broadcasting charges to the tune of 5 crores per year for each channel, which is not feasible for the ministry.
Right now the channels are being telecasted on Dish and Doordarshan. The ministry is in negotiation with the service providers.
More Details About Swayam Prabha
- On August 2016 HRD Ministry had given its approval to the "Swayam Prabha" scheme
- 32 educational channels would broadcast content for school students and university students through DTH service provider
- They would provide valuable instructions for higher education and for the IIT aspirants
- Students can also clear their doubts anytime by dialing a toll-free helpline number
- Contents of these channels are prepared by the IIT professors and other subject experts
- HRD Ministry will appoint multiple subject experts to provide high-quality content
- Ministry is also planning to launch a social media network to spread awareness about the channels