Admission open in Bharat Institute of Technology for session 2020

Centre Sanctions a New Government Medical College in Kapurthala

Published: | December 02, 2019
New Government Medical College in Kapurthala

The press release said that Rs 325 crore has been allocated for the establishment of the Government medical college in Kapurthala. 195 crore of which will be contributed by the Centre and the remaining 40% by state government.

The Centre on Thursday gave a nod to the establishment of a government medical college in Kapurthala. This came after Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh’s request for the same.

According to a Punjab government release, the letter was put forward by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to the state government.

It also said that Rs 325 crore has been assigned for the establishment of the institute, 60 per cent (Rs 195 crore) of which will be contributed by the Centre and the remaining 40% (Rs 130 crore) will be incurred by the state government.

Also Read: Centre Approves Medical Colleges in 5 Rajasthan States

The centre has also approved the up-gradation of a civil hospital in the area which will result in better medical infrastructural facilities and an increase from 220 to 500 in the number of beds.

The upcoming institution will be the fifth GMC in Punjab, with three located in Amritsar, Patiala and Faridkot and Another is being set up at SAS Nagar Maholi. However, it is being said that the one to be established in Kapurthala is going to be the first-of-its-kind in the Doaba region with capacity for 100 students.

The Punjab government has already determined 11 acres of land for the GMC to be established. This would be around 1.5 km away from the local civil hospital.

An additional amount of Rs 50 crore has been assigned for the medical equipment required for the college. The launch of this institute will be helpful in ensuring quality healthcare and diagnostic services, apart from inducing medical education and research in the area.

Stay tuned to CollegeDekho for more medical related news and updates!

Get Help From Our Expert Counsellors

Admission Updates for 2020

Subscribe to CollegeDekho News

By proceeding ahead you expressly agree to the CollegeDekho terms of use and privacy policy
Apply Now