T Jacob, a 1984 batch Tamil Nadu cadre officer, has been appointed as Union Public Service Commission's new Secretary on Friday, 3rd March 2017. Before that, he was serving as an Additional Secretary in central government's Department of Personnel and Training. As of now, he will hold both the ranks simultaneously.
In January 2017, President Pranab Mukherjee had appointed Professor David R Syiemlieh as the President of UPSC. Earlier Syiemlieh was serving as the member of the commission in Meghalaya. He was the former Vice Chancellor, Rajiv Gandhi University, Arunachal Pradesh.
The main office-bearers of UPSC consists of ten members and a chairman. The terms and conditions of commission's chairman and members are governed by the regulations of UPSC Act of 1969. The chairman and all the members of the commission are appointed by the President of India.
However, only half of the members of the commission have to be civil servants having minimum ten years experience in state or central government. All the members hold office for a minimum period of six years or until he/she attains the age of sixty-five years. The President of India can remove the members at any time on grounds of misbehaviour, holding an office of profit from outside and if the person is adjusted insolvent.
Also Read: UPSC Releases E-Summon Letter for CSE 2016
The commission conducts prestigious examinations like:
- Civil Services Examination
- Combined Medical Services Examination
- Engineering Services Examination
- Combined Defence Services Examination
- National Defence Academy Examination, also known as NDA
- Naval Academy Examination
- Indian Forest Service Examination
- Special Class Railway Apprentice
- Indian Statistical Service Examination
- Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandant) Examination
- Indian Economic Service Examination
- Combined Geoscientist Examination
- Geologist Examination