- News byStream
Christ University Surrounded by Protests and Controversies
The Christ University, Bangalore has been marred with protests from students since Saturday, July 26. Students have taken up various means to protest against sexual harassment incidents, dress codes, attendance and several other issues.
Around 250 students gathered in black dress code for a silent protest at the quadrangle of the Bannerghatta Road Campus against the resignation of Thejas, a faculty member of the Economics Department. The professor was asked to resign as he had refused to deduct the attendance of the students who did not follow the dress code of the institution.
The protest was also against the difference in rules on different campuses of the university. Students said that rules were stricter at some campus. Students have been posting their grievances anonymously on the website, Youth Ki Awaaz and Quora as an act of protest.
Following are some of the issues raised by the students:
- The university does not follow the UGC norms that say that marks of students will be evaluated 60% on the class assignments and 40% on written examination. Instead, the new university campus follows a criterion where 70% evaluation is based on internal assessment and 30% on examination. The students argued that this will force them to pursue higher studies from the same institution.
- Students have also protested against the dress codes that has not been equally implemented by all the departments. It requires the management students to dress formally and girls are prohibited from entering the campus if they are wearing jeans or leggings.
- Students with attendance below 85% are not allowed to appear for examinations and if the attendance is between 75%-85% then they will have to pay a fine. If the attendance of any student is below 75% then he or she will be expelled. However, the rules are different at other campuses.
- Students have also raised their voice against the huge sum of fees that they are asked to pay because they have not been provided with the facilities such as a library, auditorium, computer lab or a playground in the new campus that a college should provide its students.
- Posts on Youth Ki Awaaz have gone viral that mention sexual harassment incidents a few students had to face during their sessions in Christ University. Accusations have been raised that a powerful figure among the administration as well as a professor in the English Department has misbehaved with a student.
The Christ University, Bangalore has been an esteemed name ever since it was established. It has functioned effectively for last 50 years and has been consistently named amongst the top universities in India with students coming from across India as well as from other nations.
Vinod Gupta is the ex-CEO of leading American companies like Infofree.com, infoGROUP and DatabaseUSA.com. He has also ...
Got a CAT percentile below 90? Well, it’s not the end of the world! There are a lot of good colleges apart from ...