Last week, IIM Indore has organised a workshop on data science. Experts in the field participated in the workshop and urged the students to choose data science as career path due to immense employment opportunities prevalent in this field. According to experts, there are close to 40,000 vacancies in the field of data science in India.
The experts further indicated that students looking for a bright career in data science must have a strong foundation of fundamentals of data analytics. Apart from basic skills, good communication skills and leadership qualities are essential for a data scientist. Many companies pick up one for the job from 20 to 30 aspirants, which means that a strong foundation is necessary at learner’s stage.
Renowned data scientists across the country participated in the workshop including: -
- Marketing Analyst Head at AB-InBev Captive, Mr. Ravinder Sharma
- Senior Data Scientist at Zen Drive, Mr. Jayanta Pal
- Data Scientist and Consultant at SAS, Mr. Sunil Bharadwaj
- SVP & HOS at Wells Fargo, Mr. Pankaj Jain
- Data Science and AI Leader, Rohini Srivastava
- SVP-HOIDC at Vodafone India Limited, Anshu Sharma Raja
- SVP & HOKS at Wells Fargo, Nidhi Pratapaneni
- CSO at Fractal Analytics, Sameer Dhanrajani
- Senior Business Manager, Shubham Chatterjee
- CEO at DSquare Solutions, Anand Srinivasan
Mr. Ravinder Sharma revealed that data science has enhanced scope to solve a problem. Apart from a good knowledge of data science and its methods, one must be capable of fitting the method to solve a problem, he added.
Also Read: IIM Indore CAT Selection Criteria
A panel discussion took place on the evolution of technology, and its influence on data science. A question and answer session was also organised where data scientists answered various queries related to the field. Over 500 representatives from industry and academia attended the workshop.